"Men Are Bad, Except For Dad"

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: "Men Are Bad, Except For Dad"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 12:34 am:

that's the title of one of two songs that senor has started to write since we found out yesterday that we're having a girl!

a girl!

the other song is called "Don't Put No Log In That Fire"... if you get his drift.

hah!

both senor and my dad wanted a girl, so we're all very happy. at first i wanted a boy, but shortly after i found out I was pregnant, i had this feeling/knowing inside of me that it was a girl, so i became attached to the idea of having a girl. and honestly, if the ultrasound yesterday had revealed to us a boy, I would have been absolutely shocked.

she has 2 hands, 2 feet, 2 kidneys, a bladder, a perfectly formed heart, and all the rest of her measurements were normal and on-track. we could even see and measure her lips! it was so beautiful and utterly amazing. she weighs 10 oz, and if you times that by 400, you'll get approximately how much weight i've already gained so far! YIKES! but honestly i don't care anymore. all i care about right now, my only goal in life, is to go full term, and if that means gaining 10 lbs or 100 lbs, i'll do whatever.

so now the work begins... transforming the guest room into a nursery, and transforming the office room into a guest room AND an office.

we have a few names picked out, and not much else really. i know there are lists out there of things you're supposed to have by what time, but I feel like I don't even know where to get started! the tasks and decisions ahead are overwhelming.

there's not much time really. i'm almost 20 weeks pregnant so really we only have about 3 or 3-1/2 months to get it together, and i must say that i'm daunted by all the planning and decisions and purchasing of stuff that has to get done before the end of october when Baby Girl is due to arrive.

if any of you have any tips for "must have" items, please let me know. i'm totally at a loss. i have so few friends with children, i could really use some tips and advice. see? i'm soliciting advice again!

By agatha on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 02:43 am:

DID I SAY GIRL? I WAS THINKING GIRL. I'm always right on the babies.

1. Get yourself a really sweet diaper bag and a changing mat. These are lovely and high quality...
    http://www.buyolympia.com/queenbee/Chickpea
    2. DIAPER SERVICE. I can not stress enough. It is well, well worth the money to put the crappy diapers in a bin and give them to someone to wash, who in turn brings you clean diapers that you didn't have to wash.
    3. Diaper covers with velcro. Velcro=essential baby item.
    4. Don't bother with a changing table- it will merely become a holding piles of crap receptacle.
    5. Did I already tell you to get a sling? Get a sling.
    6. You don't need ten bulb syringes. You really don't even need one.
    7. You don't need baby nailclippers.
    8. The baby tubs are handy, especially if they have some sort of grip stuff in the bottom.

That's all I got at the mo.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 02:57 am:

the shop i work in has started selling "full body baby bibs", i'll put one aside for you.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 11:09 am:

thanks droop! if she's anything like her mamma, she'll definitely
    need a full body bib.

agatha, what is a bulb syringe?

By Karla on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 12:06 pm:

A girl! That's so awesome! Isn't it fun to imagine what she'll be like at 1 yr, 5 yrs, 10yrs and so on? I can't wait to see photos!
    Agatha's list looks spot on to me, although I have to admit, I'm fuzzy on the details of babyhood. A bulb syringe is a thing you use to suction mucous from a baby's nose since they don't know how to blow. We use to call it a booger sucker. Babies hate them.
    I'd also add a bassinette to the list. Cribs can be big and scary for some newborns. They're used to close quarters in the womb. Plus, you can move a bassinette to whatever room you're in or pull it up right next to your bed for easy breastfeeding.
    My son loved his baby swing from the very start. The swinging motion calmed him. But you can wait on that. You may not need it if she's not fussy.
    Receiving blankets and onsies are essential, but you'll get a load of those at your shower.
    Last bit of advice: Learn to swaddle. It seems easy during birthing class, but it's a whole different ball game with a squirmy newborn.

By Karla on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 01:11 pm:

My very last bit of advice... brush up on simple songs and lullabies you can sing to her. They can be really soothing for both of you. My son's favorite was "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" and "Would You Like to Swing on a Star."

By agatha on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 01:20 pm:

Ditto on the bassinette. And yeah, you'll get more blankets and onesies than you can shake a stick at. You'll probably also get ten bulb syringes, although you won't know why. Karla is smaht.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact