Fact of the Day

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Fact of the Day
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 01:19 pm:

I bet I'm not the only one who stumbles upon random factoids, so perhaps this will turn into an epic sprawling thread of weird facts.

Here's mine for the day:

Did you know that male Amazon River Dolphins fuck each other's blowholes? It is, and I quote "the only known example of nasal sex."

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 01:36 pm:

Male dolphins fuck any and every hole they can get their fins on.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 03:16 pm:

Platypus, I didn't know that. but , does this mean that they are gay or something?

By platypus on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 07:19 pm:

But...blowhole fucking, Antigone? That's a new level of dedication.

By Nate on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:52 am:

you know the blowhole is called a spiracle?

By platypus on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:15 am:

That explains so much!

By sarah on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 03:08 pm:

totally.

random fact not all as interesting as the one posted above:

none of the libraries in my county have this book.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

fact of the day: America is fucked.

I mean what the fuck. I saw today the same dickhead who made the debunked Kerry swiftboat book has a new one, its full of shit, even more obviously so, and its no. 1 on the NY TImes bestseller list.

Shouldn't it be fool america twice, shame on America? I mean, fuck.

By Nate on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:16 am:

you know you're just jealous.

By Nate on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 03:51 am:

bonch.

By semillama on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:29 am:

It's only number one because of bulk buys by conservative groups. Also, one of Corsi's first interviews on his book tour is on a white supremacist radio show. I think this is going to seriously backfire for the Republicans.

By Cheerfuldanielssss on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:32 pm:

And we have now a shortage, a "surprising shortage of gasoline???" The only shortage we have is brains and brawn to force these idiots out of office. Can you believe that Bush is chastizing Russia for their aggression? their invasion of georgia? OMG. Get fucking real Mr. Bush. It is your oil rich friend, your daddy's multimillion dollar annual contract with the saudis, and Pelosi's and Rice's connections, not to mention halliburton and cheney. Should have shot the fucker dead.

Every think tank is owned by some energy interest or big pharma corporation. Don't gt me going. Read "Comfortably Numb" to see what complicity big Pharma has in keeping the majority of us drugged up on rx, and the rest us stoned and drunk. Let the anarchists have a field day. it's coming, and I'm leaving. North carolina is not far enough for Patrick to go. we need to get to South America or Croatia, where it is safe.

By Cheerfuldanielssss on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:40 pm:

By patrick on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 05:06 pm:

Mary Matlin a major republican, who is curiously married to George Carville, runs a conservatice publishing wing of simon and schuster.

that kinda helps.

By platypus on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 08:48 pm:

Today I learned that there's a word for that smell after a rain, the rich, loamy, earthy one: petrichor.

I also learned that Michael Phelps "moves like a dolphin," according to a physiologist they just interviewed on NPR.

By droopy on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 09:16 pm:

petrichor. i like that.

don't all swimmers "move like a dolphin"? i mean when they do the dolphin kick after a turnaround.

a gay guy i know gave me a rather explicite explanation of how men's gymnastics made him "truly realize" he was gay. i will never look at the parallel bars the same way again.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:53 pm:

By Antigone on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 01:22 am:

By sarah on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 07:19 pm:

i don't think winning by one one-hundredth of a second constitutes a win.

that should be a tie.

By platypus on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 07:30 pm:

By Cheerfuldanielssss on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 02:49 pm:

By Cheerfuloilessdanielsss on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 05:35 pm:

another factoid, related: from an email I rec'd today. I am NOT the author.

Those Saudi Arabians, you've gotta love 'em. First, 15 out of 19 hijackers on Sept. 11 were Saudis, but Saudi Arabia had NOTHING to do with it, or so we're told. They love us!

Now Saudi Arabia is about to drop another bombshell on us, and this one will make Sept. 11 look like small potatoes.

I never thought I'd say anything could make Sept. 11 look like small potatoes. But this does, at least when it comes to the economy.

Sept. 11 shut the markets down for a few days. When the next crisis hits, you'll wish the markets would shut down so you wouldn't have to watch the carnage.

What Bush learned behind closed doors

If some well-informed experts are right, Saudi Arabia's oil reserves are a fraction of what they've been telling us.

Why does it matter? Because everyone has believed for decades that Saudi Arabia's oil supply is virtually unlimited. That's what the Saudis have said over and over again for more than 30 years.

If an oil shortage threatens to cause a recession or a market crash, we can count on the Saudis to come through. So people think.

But in a private briefing, one of America's top oil experts told President George Bush exactly what I'm telling you. In fact, this same man was a consultant to the secretive task force that drew up Vice President Dick Cheney's energy plan in 2001.

In other words, the guy is a heavy hitter who knows the energy business.

He warned Bush that the Saudis don't have anything near the oil reserves they claim. They already pump less oil than most "experts" think, and here's the real kicker...

Saudi oil production is about to drop sharply. And it will keep going down for good.

Other experts have analyzed the numbers and come to the same conclusions. If the charges are true — and I believe they are — we could be facing...

Oil at $150 per barrel and gasoline at $8 a gallon

The oil is running out. It's as simple as that.

But that's not what you hear from so-called experts. If you ask government officials, our intelligence agencies and even powerful Wall Street financiers, they tell you the opposite.

They say the Saudis could quickly double their oil production from the current level if they wanted to. And given a few years, they think the Saudis could produce four times as much oil as they do now.

This is like the Iraqi WMDs all over again

The intelligence agencies and the conventional "experts" are dead wrong. The oil isn't there.

By Markus on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 02:17 pm:

Wow - someone else reads xkcd. And posted one of my favorite ones, too.

I think I'm going to my first graticule meetup tomorrow.

By platypus on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 02:55 pm:

xkcd is where it's at. In fact, some friends of mine and I adore xkcd so much that we have our own chat abbreviation, OMGILXCD (oh my god I love xkcd), to express our ineffable joy when a new comic gets posted.

Speaking of facts of the day, who knows anything about Chet Edwards?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact