Canadian politics is mildly interesting

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Canadian politics is mildly interesting
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 02:04 am:

All the other parties joined forces to oust the Conservatives. We're (assuming this goes through, which it should) going to have a new PM shortly who had no chance of winning the last election, the leader of a coalition government including the seperatists, and he'll only be prime minister until May, because he's stepping down as Liberal leader.

SO our leadership convention is really an inner-party conference on who is going to end up becoming Prime Minister.

Its kind of fucked. We don't elect our Prime Minister. We elect our local MPs and whoever heads that government takes power.

This came to pass basically because the Conservatives, knowing the Liberals were in the middle of a leadership change, thought they could get away passing an action that would remove our subsidies the parties get based on votes (our method of public funding). The way they planned it would pretty much bankrupt every other party except the Conservatives, who would get a lesser cut and get buoyed by the fact that since they're the only right wing party, they make out better with other fundraising.

It was a poison pill that Harper thought the other parties would swallow, that they were all in no position to do anything about it. Their bluff was called, they really were able to unite around Harper trying to pull a scheme that would make it impossible for all the opposition to fund future campaigns.

It really is kind of messed. Conservative supporters are pissed as hell, either ignorant of the parliamentary system, how it works and that this could happen, or thinking they actually voted for PM and their vote was being erased, or just mad their plot was foiled. I'm more cautious because while the coalition is more left leaning who knows if they can get along the way other countries' coalitions have.

Any way you look at it, Canadian politics is all of a sudden exciting again - at least for us. I doubt it made it within the top 15 stories on the evening news, if that.

By Antigone on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 02:22 am:

No, Rowlfie, you're our Canadian lifeline. :)

By wisper on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 08:14 pm:

SIMPLIFIED!

There are 4 political parties, let's call them A B C + D.

Party A gets 37% of the votes, the remaining votes are divided amongst B C D. As this is a parliamentary system, those votes = seats in parliament. Although party A only got 37% and a majority of the country didn't vote for them, they have more seats in parliament than any one of the other parties alone, so they "win".

Now B, C, and D don't like each other too much, but they REALLY don't like A. So they agree to join together to make a coalition, X. Now joined together group X has 63% of the seats in parliament, so they overthrow A's power and the government becomes theirs.

Then group A whines like little bitches.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 02:42 am:

Rowlfe and wisper I hoped you guys don't mind, I liked traveling through Canada. It is very beautiful there.

By semillama on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 01:34 pm:

You mean you didn't clear it with them first???

What were you thinking!? You could have been killed!

By sarah on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 04:50 pm:

if only.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, December 5, 2008 - 02:25 am:

Yeah, it was cleared.....semillama.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact