Baby carrots n peach preserves!

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Baby carrots n peach preserves!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Whet on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 12:05 pm:

(thanks for fixin everything btw Mark!)

One of those middle of the night things last night, but the modem inside the house being fried, and it being below freezing and me being in my underwear, decided to wait until tonight to post.

Not really a craving either. I was hungry, it was there. I love those tender little sweet juicy crisp carrots - but wanted something more. And the peach preserves were a trial and error thing.

How I ended up with them is interesting. Went to fix some old farts pickup truck, and upon completion of the repairs (wasn't much wrong) he discovered he had no cash, but offered 3 jars of peach preserves as payment. What the hell. Ok old dude, got a deal.

When I got home, I noticed the date scribbled on the top, 7/89.

EEK!
    friggin TEN year old peach preserves???
    well, they *are* supposed to be 'preserved' right?

Open the top, was still stuck down and sealed with vacuum. No mold, not even discolored. Smelled ok. Put some on a carrot, offered it to my dog that doesn't eat sweets but will eat foul things, and since she DIDN'T eat it - I figgered it must be ok, so took the plunge.

I slept pretty much all night. Didn't have any problems at all. Whoever did em must have known what they were doing.

and btw - they are DELICIOUS!
    thats the crazy part.

Baby carrots n peach preserves!

By Sheila on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 02:53 pm:

sweet potatoes and ginger marmalade

those fetus carrots julienned with a pinch of freshly chopped mint

acorn squash with real maple syrup

thinly sliced leeks with mandarin oranges and amaretto

i swear i posted this earlier. i bet Martha saw it and deposted it just for spite.

By R.C. on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 09:29 pm:

Ummmmm... ginger mamalade. Can I have some?

And Whet -- if you work on cars for preserves/
    mine is due for an oil change. I've got apple butter in the fridge/homemade pesto in the freezer/& half a blender of Margaritas left.

By Whet on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 03:13 pm:

sounds purdy damn good!
    I like candied ginger at times, keep a little out in the shop freezer for shits n grins, relatively speaking.

Sure R.C.
    Speaking of apple butter, have you tried making it in the OVEN rather than stove top? Works like a CHARM< and it doesn't stick, and don't have to stir constantly, just do as normal then spread out in a flat pan, put the oven on around 250 or so, and check on it about every hour, turn n stir. Do this 2 days in a row for a few hours, and you'll have the smoothest richest thickest butter ya've ever tasted, and hardly any work involved. I use one of those stick it crank the handle / spin apple peelers to boot. Makes sauce time go a hella faster. Looking out the front of the shop now, at the back of my dump truck FULL of fruit tree limbs where we just pruned a neighbor's little orchard. Can't wait fer apple season again, and here in GA its hit and miss, NOTHING like out in washington. I just couldn't believe driving by seeing an old farms, grown up, house falling down, and HUGE apple trees bending the branches with *perfect* apples. With the bugs here you gotta work yer ass off to get much anything out of the garden/orchard/honeybeeyard, then its a tossup with the weather.

If this hot weather keeps up, and the trees completely bud out - its gonna be a bust anyhoo. Keep your fingers crossed!

By R.C. on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 04:47 pm:

My oven heats up the entire 1st floor when I turn it on. And with the temps. being in the low 80's (farenheit/that is) here/I really cdn't bare leaving my oven on for 2 days.

Plus/everything in my crib is electric. So the bill wd be pretty steep w/the oven on for that long. Thanks for the tip/but I'll stick to the stovetop apple butter method.

But Whet -- do you know how to make sparkling apple cider at home? I'm a fiend for Martinelli's /but it's so damn expensive/I'd rather spring for tequila & at least get a buzz for my $$. It's nice to have something bubbly & festive on hand for when teetotalers stop by. (Altho' I don't think I know any teetotlaers. Unless he's a reformed alcoholic/I just don't trust a man who refuses to ever take a drink.)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact