panettone

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: panettone
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 05:57 pm:

yes, from "joy of cooking".

TWO 9-INCH TUBE PANS

Baked in 1 lb. greased coffee cans and attractively packaged, this cake makes wonderful gifts.
    >Have all ingredients at about 75 degrees.

Dissolve for about 10 minutes:
    ---2 cakes compressed yeast

in:
    --1 cup 85 degrees water

Sift and stir in:
    --1 cup all-purpose flour

Cover this sponge and permit it to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in bulk.

Sift:
    --1/2 cup sugar

Beat until soft:
    --1/2 cup butter

Add the sugar gradually. Blend these ingredients until they are light and creamy. Beat in, one at a time: 2 or 3 eggs.

Add:
    --1 teaspoon salt
    --2 teaspoons grated lemon rind

Beat in the sponge. Sift and beat in gradually:
    --3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Beat the dough for 5 minutes more. add:
    --(1/8 cup chopped citron)
    --(1/4 cup white raisins or chopped candied pineapple)
    --(1 cup broken nut meats)

Cover the bowl with a cloth and permit the dough to rise for about 2 hours or until it has almost doubled in bulk. Place it in greased tube pans and let it rise for about 1/2 hour. Brush the tops with:
    --Melted butter

If you have added no fruit or nut meats to the batter, you may combine:
    --1/2 cup blanched, shredded almonds
    --1/4 cup sugar

Sprinkle this mixture on the dough.
    Preheat oven to 350.
    Bake in either the tubes or the greased pans for about 1/2 hour. If you have omitted the top dressing of almonds and sugar, you may, after the cake has baked and cooled, spread on it:
    --Milk or Lemon Glaze, page 682

your gonna have to request the damn lemon glaze. i started typing this to take my mind off things, and as far as i'm concerned therapy is complete.

By Chump on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 06:34 pm:

the cool guy beat me to it, oh well.....

By cyst on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:23 pm:

hey, hey. thanks, droopy. and thanks for the good intentions, patrick. this is great! it sounds so fucking good.

I can't believe I've made it before. that sponge part sounds complicated. (I know it's not. the only hard part will be getting the kitchen that warm.)

I had thought of making a bunch of panettone for people for christmas, but I think it's only really good the day of or after maybe.

so I think I am going to make sugar cookies, and I'm going to cut and decorate them differently for each friend. my friend whom I most want to be like is going to get some angry little girls. she says she wants to make a bunch of life-size papier-mache angry little girls and line them up in her front window.

so does anyone know of any decent coffees that come in cans? I don't want to buy maxwell house or folger's just to get the goddamn can. the time I made it in seattle, I had bought some weird greek coffee from a greek deli. I'm not sure where I'd find something that weird here in portland.

By cyst on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:24 pm:

maybe I'll make some on thursday at my parents' warm house.

if anyone else is inspired to make some, please tell me how it turns out.

I know I didn't use citron, as I don't even know what that is. I think I'd like to use dried cranberries or apricots instead.

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:38 pm:

a citron is a really cool french made car (or is is it scandanavian?) that has a unique hydraulic system that allows it to lower itself at higher speeds for less drag.......

we bought some tiramesu coffee from trader joes that comes in cans, check there.

By droopy on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:44 pm:

that's citroen. i've always wanted one of those.

cool guys don't share panettone recipes.

By cyst on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:45 pm:

oh yeah, of course, trader joe's coffee comes in cans. except I never liked theirs, either. is the tiramisu stuff good? I think all I've tried is the stuff in the black can with a toucan on it.

By cyst on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:49 pm:

I'll share a site full of naked ladies with you.

http://www.bluenudes.com

it's pseudo-artistic, but the chicks are pretty hot. "pump house" is a great photo essay. if you like pretty, stacked brunette vixens in leather touching each other's naked chests, anyway.

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:54 pm:

UHHH the tiramisu was a more of dessert coffee than i care for. It is very acidic and bitter, not my cup of coffee...it was good every now and then but i didn't like it being the only java in the house for several weeks,, i could see that it would be really good with a rich chocolate cake, which i did have for my birhtday....

By cyst on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 07:55 pm:

the trader joe's coffee I had was also very bitter.

By hydrozoa on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 09:17 pm:

By Gee on Wednesday, November 24, 1999 - 02:12 am:

I hate to inturrupt, but: should I spend the weekend with a friend of mine, or should I go see Captain Tractor? I'm so torn. I haven't seen my friend in about two months and I haven't seen Captain Tractor ever. My friend will always be here for another weekend, but I don't personally Care about Captain Tractor, I'm just a fan. I asked him if he wanted to go with me, but he said he doesn't like a lot of people in his face and he wouldn't stand up and jump with me anyway, so he wouldn't be much fun at the show. Anyway he was very clear about not wanting to go. Answer me and then go back to your naked people.

By cyst on Wednesday, November 24, 1999 - 02:46 am:

not enough information. don't know how much you care about captain tractor, about your friend.

By Gee on Wednesday, November 24, 1999 - 01:15 pm:

"Authentication Error
    You must enter something as your username."

What is this? I did enter a username. Now I'm annoyed.

By Gee on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 01:13 am:

Here's what I was saying before:

I like Captain Tractor enough to buy a second album. Most of the albums in my "collection" are just one shots. It's not that I don't Want a second album, just that I never get around to it. I have two Sarah McLachlan albums, and seven Spirit of the West albums, and now two CT albums. Other than that, just one of each. I like them enough to change the design of my Concert Going Tee-Shirt to include them. I'm putting a picture of them in and a picture of their anchor. (it's their little thing) I'm listening to them right now. I probably wouldn't jump at the show, but I'd stand in front of the stage and tap my foot and bop my head (I'm shy).

I love my friend. I don't love many people outside my family, but I love him. I guess he's my best friend. He knows more about me than anyone. I don't get to see him very often because we're both really busy and he spends his free time with his girlfriend. I talk to him on the phone (on average) three or four times a week, on the phone. Every couple of months he says to me "Do you want to come over?" and I say okay and he buys my lunch.

If it's a contest between who I like more and who I'd rather be around, then my friend wins. BUT...I don't know when CT will be back in town. And therein lies my problem.

It may not be a problem anyway. My friend might go out with other friends, and I may not be able to find anyone to go see CT with me. So I may end up home alone on the weekend. Oh well.

Is that enough information?

By cyst on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 05:13 am:

see the band, I guess.

when your friend breaks up with his girlfriend, he'll have lots of time to spend with you.

I saw handjob guy again. it was kind of nice. he took me out for thai food and then later at his apartment he told me he'd bought fancy-schmancy grapes for me -- purple, flame and green. because I'd said I liked those huge fat juicy grapes that you never see at safeway.

he offered to try to fix my princess phones and he let me play pixies songs on his special guitar.

it's almost as if we really were pals. next time I think we're going to play scrabble.

By Gee on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 12:05 am:

I've decided the band is no go. I asked a girl to go with me and she's busy, and I was going to ask the boy I made out with but I only saw him for about five minutes yesterday. Beyond that I really feel that it's too short notice to ask anyone else. (I'm weird that way)

What makes you think my friend will ever break up with his girlfriend? He's in love, you know. They just celebrated their first year anniversary, but really they were together longer, since they were together for almost a year, broke up, and then made up. I'm pretty sure if he ever does break up with her again he'll be spending Lots of time with me. I have a feeling he thinks of me as his rebound girl.

I shouldn't say that. Just that I'm upset with him right now and I'm being mean. He's a really good guy.

Did your handjob guy try to put the moves on you at all?

By cyst on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 03:54 am:

yeah, handjob guy put the moves on me in his own weird way, I guess.

I met another guy tonight, my friend's cousin, and he wants me to help him write a letter to a city councilor, but he was wearing a baseball cap the whole time, so that sort of mitigated his cuteness.

I will have to reassess him another day, preferably when I am not drunk and he is not wearing a hat.

By cyst on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 03:55 am:

oh, yeah, and I always assume that any non-marriage relationship will end, and I also assume that most marriages will also end. the statistics bear me out.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact