chex mix...yum...

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: chex mix...yum...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nobody nothing on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 09:49 pm:

chex mix is yummy!

By Antigone on Saturday, April 1, 2000 - 03:14 pm:

No.

By Antigone on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 05:18 am:

Yes.

By NO on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 11:53 am:

WERE YOU AT A PARTY

EATING CHEX MIX WHILE NOT AT A PARTY IS A SIGN

By Bell_jar on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 04:08 pm:

so.... am i missing something? does anyone else get confused that antigone just umm... goes into random places and writes yes and no? is there any pattern or reference that i'm just not getting?

By N.b. on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 04:13 pm:

am i missing something? i interpreted it that Antigone had an opinion about Chex Mix at 3:14 p.m. on Saturday, April 1, and sometime between then and 5:18 a.m. on Sunday, he had an experience with Chex Mix, possibly at a party, that caused him to change his mind, which he registered forthwith.

By semillama on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

maybe.

By N.b. on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 04:20 pm:

maybe it happened that way?
    or maybe i'm missing something?

By Bell_jar on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 10:01 pm:

although it may be the case, for i am not one to say that it certainly not the case, i believe that antigone just enters conversations and puts yes and no in no particular order, that i can decifer. i wouldn't be so quick to assume this, but i've noticed it in other conversations as well...

or in this case he could have... umm... had a bad experience... with chex mix...yeah... maybe it was burnt or maybe someone forgot to put peanuts in it or something like that...

By Rhiannon on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 10:30 pm:

Nah, he's just trying to qualify for asshole of the world and thinks this is the way to win himself the title.

By Bell_jar on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 10:42 pm:

i wonder why he calls himself antigone... the asshole... if he wants the title i feel that i should not be the one to stop him.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 10:49 pm:

No no no....you've got it all wrong. He's not *really* an asshole. He's much appreciated around these parts.

By Bell_jar on Sunday, April 2, 2000 - 11:23 pm:

oh dear... it'll be hard to get this all straight. .. he's an appreciated asshole.

By Antigone on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 12:24 am:

Yes.

Order.

No.

By Gee on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 01:58 am:

we love Antigone.

even if he is a Boring play.

By Margret on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 09:54 am:

Gaaack.

Augh.

Not. A. Boring. Play.

Philistine.

Certainly not my FAVORITE. But not BORING.

I think it's one of Nussbaum's favorites, integral to the flesh of the fragility of goodness.

By Rhiannon on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 11:02 am:

"the fragility of goodness"

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I read an interview with David Bazan of Pedro the Lion in which he said that he had struggled for years to "be good" and he had always failed. He then described the freedom that came with realizing that he wasn't a good person and he never would be.

Now I've never read "Antigone," so I don't know how this issue is dealt with in that play, and seeing how it was written pre-Christianity, I imagine that the Greeks' conception of goodness would be different than our own. But if you believe that people are inherently good, and that one can do bad things and still be a good person, goodness is quite robust.

People make mistakes. I know I insult people unknowingly all the time. I certainly don't mean to and I don't plan to....so while insulting people is bad, I don't think that *I'm bad* because I do it.

I also think there are very few people who truly enjoy doing wrong and aren't just kidding themselves. I do know people who say that they don't care that they do wrong but clearly are fooling themselves, because they have a very low self-opinion and are unhappy people. So doing wrong doesn't sit right with them, and how could that tension exist if not for the goodness inside them?

By patrick on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 12:31 pm:

jar head, if you are really interested i suggest you read eevry thread available....then you might be able to understand why antigone is antigone and why antigone posts what he posts.....or at least know for sure you don't know why he does what he does and be entirely happy with that knowledge in your ignorance.

I am not sure if you have rcvd the cynics welcome to sorabji......so

eat a dick!

By J on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 02:49 pm:

I,m having tube steak tonight for dinner,Antigone,s....don,t you dare tell him.

By Bell_jar on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

patrick... i think i got it already... in fact... i think i received it from you.

it's bell_jar. though you knew that. make cracks at me personally, please, but leave the name alone. if it'll be a problem i'll change it, but we owe sylvia the respect... i am certain.

By Rhiannon on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 04:25 pm:

No one who chooses to off herself, leaving 3 little kids behind, deserves respect, and I'm guessing Patrick would agree. Right, old boy?

By Margret on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 04:51 pm:

So let's see you do one thing as graceful as Sylvia Plath...
    So let's see you do one thing as graceful as
    Sylvia Plath...
    So let's see you do one thing as senselessly cruel as Sylvia Plath.

By patrick on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 05:35 pm:

i am so old, no really, my spirit is a writhered rung-out dishrag to dry in a crackling, dusty desert.

i really don't care what the lady did in her personal life, her poems could easily appeal to me right now and i have liked them in the past....

Although Spider, i generally would agree with you.

I didn't agree with Miller's promiscuity, or neglect for his kids at certain times....but damned if i don't think he is one of the greatest writers of the 20th century....

by the way, I have been meaning to dive into Ionesco...an influence from a Miller essay...any thoughts or opinions on him.......

also...if you have not seen the Hal Hartly film Henry Fool......i suggest you get it....it's a great little flic.....

By Bell_jar on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 06:36 pm:

It is funny that you wrote only a few hours ago that people are good and only do bad things. i completely agree with this. however, i find it hard for you to say that a person should be wholly disrespected for one aspect of their being.

all people are good
    good people do bad things
    suicide is a bad thing (or so they say)
    therefore, people who commit suicide are still good.

do you think that good people don't deserve respect?

By patrick on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 06:51 pm:

in liou of my previous handle....I am officially waffling on this topic.....

my fucking god the irony of this conversation.

yes, good people can do bad. it happens all the time. We are only human and subject to whims of the day, despite negative repercussions.

furthermore i only reserve brutal judgement for those who beat helpless furry animals.

poop

By Rhiannon on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 07:22 pm:

I didn't say she was a bad person. I said she didn't deserve respect. From me. What God thinks of her is another matter and out of my hands.

I also have a great aversion to her poetry, with the exception of the six-line "The Hanging Man" and the last three lines of "Lady Lazarus."

Oddly enough, I do like Yeats, even though he too rolled in the angst more than a bit.

By droopy on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 08:22 pm:

are you the yeats fan i once played scrabble with?

By agatha on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 08:52 pm:

i think that was shannon.

By Rhiannon on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 11:15 pm:

How do you play Scrabble online?

I haven't played Scrabble since I was a kid. I don't remember why, but I always quit the game in a big huff.

By heather on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 12:29 am:

i've been hearin about this scrabble

i wanna play dammit

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 12:41 am:

Yet another wonderful Sorabji thread. From chex mix to a little gratuitous Antigone worship, to David Bazan, to gratuitous little Antigone worship, to Sylvia Plath, to "are you the yeats fan i once played scrabble with?"

It's only wonderful because of the tubesteak comment, though.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 01:25 am:

and i worship you, antigone.

By Gee on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 01:41 am:

all people are not good. Where did this idea come from? All people are not bad either. they're just people. The idea of good and bad is totally subjective, anyway, so what are we talking about?

I still love Auden. Rhiannon, did you see his poem about Yeats? sniffle.

By Antigoone on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 10:21 am:

and I wooship yoo too droopy!

By Margret on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 10:27 am:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact