Rodents for World Peace

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Rodents for World Peace
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By mike on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 02:04 pm:

East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet? I think not - not if we come together and find common ground. And what, I ask you, can bring the people of different cultures together better than the devouring of rodents?

Here are excerpts from two separate articles in The New Yorker; in the first a reporter goes to Kentucky where people enjoy eating squirrel, even though it has recently been suggested that squirrel brains may carry a variant of mad cow disease.

"'Here's how you eat one of these things,' he says, lifting the skull up with his finger tips. Seen in profile, it looks like the head of a monstrous ant: streamlined and mechanical, with buckteeth, and incisors curving down the sides like whiskers. First Rector nibbles off the neck meat, then the cheeks, then he pulls off the blue tongue. When all that's left is the braincase, he picks up a teaspoon and smacks it down smartly on top.

Inside, beneath the eggshell-thin surface, lies a pink organ about as large as the first joint of my index finger, stained inky black between its lobes. If some infectious agent lurks there, no pressure cooker could have killed it: brain tissue from a a mad cow can pass on the disease even after baking in a seven-hundred-degree oven. 'Ya want some?' Rector asks, holding the glistening brain toward me. Before I can answer, he pops it into his mouth. 'Too late,' he says."

The second article (in the magazine the following week) is by a man who traveled to the village of Luogang, in the Guangdong Province of China, to try the local delicacy - rat. He went to two restaurants with the only-in-the-Orient names "Highest Ranking Wild Flavor Restaurant" and "New Eight Sceneries Wild Flavor Food City."

You have a unique option at the second restaurant:

"I decided to order the Spicy and Salty Mountain Rat. This time, when the waitress asked about my preference in sizes, I said, pleased with my boldness, 'Big Rat."

'Come and choose it.'

'What?'

'Pick out the rat you want.'

I followed one of the kitchen workers to a shed behind the restaurant, where cages were stacked atop one another. Each cage contained more than thirty rats. The shed did not smell good. The worker pointed at a rat.

'How about this one?'

'Um, sure.'

He put on a glove, opened the cage, and picked up the chosen rat. It was about the size of a softball. 'Is it O.K.?' he said.

'Yes.'

'Are you certain?'

I nodded.

Suddenly, the worker flipped his wrist, swung the rat into the air by the tail, and let go. The rat made a neat arc. There was a soft thud when its head struck the cement floor. There wasn't much blood. The worker grinned. 'You can go back to the dining room now,' he said. 'We'll bring it out to you soon.'

All men are brothers.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact