French toast

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: French toast
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:43 am:

Last night I had french toast for dinner. It was less than great, because I got creative and put nutmeg in the batter, along with the usual cinnamon. I don't much like nutmeg, I discovered.

I was really pissed off because I broke the (plastic) bottle of syrup I had just bought that morning. I had put it on top of the refrigerator, with the other breakfast foods, and it fell when I opened the freezer door (I had to give the door a tug, which rocked the refrigerator). I thought plastic was not supposed to break. Anyway, it did, and I only managed to retain half of the syrup. Argh.

Another reason I didn't enjoy the french toast too much was because I didn't have any little sausages or ham slices or bacon to go with it. French toast needs something salty as an accompaniment.

So all and all, it was a lackluster meal. I had been looking forward to it, too.

No orange juice, either.

By dave. on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:09 am:

random.

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:25 am:

Isn't everything?

By sarah on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:36 am:

i hate it when i'm looking forward to eating a particular food or meal and then it just doesn't work out the way i had hoped. that's a big bummer. the last time that happened to me was when i made this polenta dish. i kinda over-cooked it or something, because it ended up tasting like boxed macaroni and cheese to me, and i had made a huge batch, and ended up chucking it in the trash.

also, spilling something or accidentally making big mess in the middle of cooking something disrupts the flow and mojo you get going when you're in the kitchen, and can suck the enjoyment out of it.

By Nate on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:48 pm:

i find myself drinking straight from the syrup bottle in the middle of the night. it is sweet and good but it is something about its viscosity as it slides down my throat that keeps me coming back.

By patrick on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

reminds you of things eh?

By agatha on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

i made some ginger carrot soup recently that was awful. it was so disappointing.

By patrick on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:54 pm:

yesterday i baked some chicken in trader joes bbq sauce, boiled some red potatoes that i flooded with jalepeno hot sauce and salt upon arriving on my plate and some green beans that i simmered all day long with pearl onions and man was it fuckin good!

perhaps its some sort of reminant of the faint christian upbringing but i really really love sunday dinners like that.

i enjoy spending some time in the kitchen, laying on my ass, maybe watching some hockey, or a movie, perhaps reading and eating like that on sundays.

By kazoo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:06 pm:

YES!

my favorite Sunday dinners involved soups or stews with hot bread, or roast beef with gravy and mashed potatoes. My mother made the best roast beef. My father still talks about it.

I miss Sunday dinners like that too. It's not the same when you eat alone, or have people over. It seems like it should be with those who live with you. I'd say just family, but my roommate used to make an incredible soup on Sunday and I always secretly hated when he had other people over.

By patrick on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:17 pm:

yeah right. Definitely something effervescent.

Stews are good because they simmer and tease you all afternoon with the smell.

Especially as it gets cooler outside....seems more apropos.

as a kid, we never went to church or anything, but rather, we slept in, often my mom got laid the night before (im guessing here) and was in a good mood so she made pancakes or something like that. then my step dad and mom, still in PJs would go to the living room with football on in the background and disect the sunday paper and simmer something all day long. Sometimes it was chili, sometimes it was stew. Sometimes, in the summer it was something on the bbq that had marinated all day.

shit

im hungry.

hope that preggers wife and milkdud didnt eat all the left overs.

By kazoo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:27 pm:

dammit...now I'm homesick

patrick, this is all your fault ;)

By patrick on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:29 pm:

so am i. ive only had a cup of soup and bag of fritos today.

By J on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:55 pm:

Yesterday my husband made ham and 15 beans soup,it was yummy. My mother-in-law was a fine cook,she taught me how to make potatoe soup,and wilted lettace salad and harvard beets and green beans cooked like Patrick mentioned but with a little bacon in it and new potatoes.

By sarah on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:07 am:

beets! what is the recipe for harvard beets? i must know!

when i lived in hawaii, my dad would always make corned beef in the crock pot on sundays. i would go over to his house and we'd eat and drink wine and play backgammon on the lanai.

when i was with kevin, last winter on most sundays i would cook beef pot roast in the crock pot, and we'd watch movies or i'd garden and he'd read or watch tv while it cooked all day. later i would make bread pudding (his favorite) or cookies.

tomorrow night i am going to make pumpkin kale curry soup (i was going to make it this sunday, but i'll probably be camping instead :) it's the perfect autumn sunday soup. i'm positive i've posted that recipe here a couple years ago. i gotta stop at the asian market and see if i can find kafir lime.

By kazoo on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:15 am:

I found it! Pumpkin. Kale. Curry. Three of my favorite things. That sounds so fucking good, I went and searched for the thread. I may even try to cook it too.

By J on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:03 am:

I e-mailed you the recipe Sarah.All of a sudden now I'm hungry.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:09 am:

Last night I had pasta with a slightly modified sauce from the usual (much less sugar, onions sauteed in olive oil and white whine, a bit of thyme along with the usual spices) and sweet turkey sausage. Two bowls. It was good, but if I had used linguine instead of fioretti it would have been better.

Then, about an hour later, I made a peanut butter sandwich with three melted marshmallows smushed in there. With a big glass of milk. Mmmmm.

This morning I had two raspberry Pepperidge Farm Chantilly cookies (very messy) for "breakfast."

By trace on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:22 am:

j, you and spider are two of my fav's..

besides Eri of course....

By Spider on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:38 am:

Gosh, thanks. What prompted that?

By trace on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:42 am:

nothing really. i have just always enjoyed your posts

By J on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:52 am:

I get a kick out of you too Spunky,thanks:)

By spuny on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:53 pm:

:-P

By Nate on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

get a room

By spunky on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

Your just jealous

By Nate on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

i sure are, boy.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:44 pm:

I'm having thai tonight. the Pandyr is bringing me something yummy.

I am so slack at cooking for myself now that I am on my own again.

Sarah do you have a favourite brownie recipie? I love brownies, but I struggle to make them right... and they're not that popular in NZ so its hard to find shops that make good ones. Or that don't charge $3.50 for a pathetic three bites worth.

By trace on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:42 am:

J,
    I hope I did not upset you with the linked pic

By J on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:00 am:

No,in fact I couldn't see it,what was it?

By trace on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:10 am:

It was the Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics. You might win, but your still....

Anyway.
    Now i get an unauthorized message.
    That is where I saw the anne I as asking about.

By J on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:26 am:

Weird huh? Beats the hell out of me.

By trace on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:35 am:

Odd, but maybe it is for the best. I should not have been browsing through that index, there seem to be some personal pics there....
    As well as some, well, very interesting ones as well.
    I just wanted to make sure we were ok

By trace on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:18 am:

it's back!

Are these pics yours?

By J on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

send me one and I'll see

By trace on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:00 pm:

I cnat surf the index anymore

By Spider on Saturday, March 6, 2004 - 08:17 pm:

I tried to make beef bourguignon tonight. It didn't happen.

For one thing, the recipe called for 1.5 cups of brandy and 2.5 cups red wine. Dude. That is a LOT of liquor. And indeed, when it came down to it, all you could taste was the brandy in your sinuses. I cooked the beef (3 lbs of it) for exactly the specified time, and it came out almost inedibly dry. I have a slim hope that sitting overnight in the refridgerator will moisten it up a bit....but what a disappointment. I've been craving beef stew of any kind for a few days now and I was so looking forward to this meal. :(

I was also so looking forward to the downloading of a certain recording of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G, and now that I'm listening to it, I hear they've replaced the flute with a saxophone! Horror.

Today was a bad day, and I didn't even have good food and good music for comfort. Bah.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact