Spinach Salad

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Spinach Salad
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 04:01 pm:

OK,
    Does anyone know a good recipe for spinach salad?

I had one that was a warm dressing, and I think it had bacon in it..

By spunky on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 04:03 pm:

oh, oops.

Found it

By kazu on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 04:08 pm:

that would be good with some goat cheese, if you like that kind of thing.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 07:12 pm:

I like a spinach salad with just walnuts, raisins, and blue cheese, and oil/lemon juice/mustard dressing.

By Lapis on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 10:16 pm:

Spinach with walnuts and pomagranate seeds with honey dijon.

My family always has it with chopped bacon. I've gotten them to leave it on the side, serve it in a little bowl so I don't have to have my own bowl of specially prepared salad or pick out the little bits.

By wisper on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 10:19 pm:

just toss some cut-up strawberries into spinach leaves, with a quick vinagrette dressing.
    Or use mandarin orange pieces instead.

add some chopped walnuts if you're into crunchy things. I'm not, but you can be, it's okay.

that's good eating.

By sarah on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 12:21 pm:

dougie's sounds yummy. i have to have red onions and black olives in my spinach salad.

By Dougie on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

Jeez, I can't remember the last time I had a salad. I gotta start eating green stuff. I usually pass on those sad looking salads they give you as a side in a diner -- you know, with the cut up iceberg lettuce that's going slightly brown around the corners where it was cut, a few carrot shavings, and a translucent slice of hothouse tomato on top, all loaded down with a glop of italian dressing.

I used to like making salad nicoise in the summer for dinner, with the hardboiled eggs, and tuna & anchovies and black olives. Really good chilled when it's hot outside.

By kazu on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 02:35 pm:

I've been eating steamed spinach lately as a way to get my greens. Piles of it, with a little spicy peanut sauce. yum. I love fun salads...especially without lettuce. Also fattoush.

By Dougie on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 02:57 pm:

I love steamed spinach, but the wifey doesn't, so I don't have it anymore.

By Popeye on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

How can anyone not like spinach? Shiver me timbers!

By patrick on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

my kid loves spinach.

her dad does not like changing diapers after she has eaten her beloved spinach.

By patrick on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 03:27 pm:

the three key things for a good spinach salad are some sort of salty cheese. I like feta personally. blue is good too. second. some sort of nut. almonds, chopped or slivered are good, as are walnuts and pinenuts. 3rd would be something with citrus, be it orange slices or some sorta of citrus vinegarette...which i prefer. raspberry vinegarette. deeeelish!

im thinking some sort of dried fruit could be good as well.

By kazu on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 03:31 pm:

now I want a spinach salad real bad, but the roads are icy and I don't have a car anyway.

I think I am going to make a grilled cheese.

We are going out for dinner on Saturday to someplace nice with great desserts. Despite the circumstances, and although I miss Sem, it's nice being home for my birthday (it was yesterday).

By sarah on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 04:27 pm:

happy birthday!! got plans to celebrate or did you already?

By kazu on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 04:32 pm:

thank you

Sem was supposed to come to Atlanta this weekend and we were going to go to my favorite restaurant on Thursday, see The Tarbox Ramblers on Friday night, and Big Fish sometime over the weekend. He'll be there next weekend and we will do two out of the three things and maybe see some other show, if anything interesting is playing. I've been informed of an un-valentine's day massacre show on Friday which might be kind of interesting.

By Lapis on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 07:44 pm:

Happy birthday Kazu.

By c on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 01:29 am:

I've eaten really yummy things lately.

sunday I had a sheep cheese sandwich made with a fresh anise and fig roll. it was just so goddamn good.

By kazu on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:36 am:

thanks lapis.

c, do you like goat cheese? there is a goat cheese gouda that I get from whole foods that is amazing. it doesn't taste anything like the soft stuff that comes in logs.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:13 am:

I had some French cheese recently that was astoundingly good. It almost tasted like fruit, and I mean it didn't taste like cheese but tasted like fruit with a creamy texture. I wish I could remember its name -- it began with an R.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:24 am:

Ooh, happy belated birthday, Kazu! I have to start reading the whole thread before I post.

By wisper on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:44 pm:

that just wastes precious minutes!
    happy birthday to all

By c on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:59 pm:

yes, I like goat cheese. and I like gouda. I'll have to try goat cheese gouda.

By agatha on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:51 pm:

Happy birthday, Kazu!

By kazu on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:29 pm:

thank you.

i go get sem now!

By sarah on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 01:26 pm:

i went to a small-ish dinner party last night. it was a thank-you from the host, who recently moved into a new house in the bario, to all the folks who helped him move and paint and fix it up.

he made crawfish etoufee. i've never had that before and holy fuck was it delicious. meaty, a good deal spicy, but not too spicy, and buttery, and a little sweet in the finish. served in a steaming hot bowl over rice.

we were told not to bring anything, because he had everything from wine to dessert. but i begged him to let me bring salad anyway.

it was spring mix greens, very thinly sliced red onions, very thinly sliced baby portabella mushrooms, halved grape tomatoes, goat cheese, and candied pecans and almonds, with a raspberry vinegarette. yeah bay bee.

have fun kazoooooo

By Nate on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:03 pm:

the other night i made this kind of sad penne with chicken breast and tomatoes and such, which would have been good had i not overcooked the chicken, and she made this salad that was baby greens with toasted pecans, dried cranberries, goat cheese, sliced mushrooms sautteed with shallots, and anne's goddess dressing. it was great, the salad. i've recently come to recognize salads as a worthy dish rather than an afterthought.

i need an idea of something to make tomorrow night.

By Spider on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:22 pm:

What's goddess dressing?

By J on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:31 pm:

Green Goddess?

By dave. on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:58 pm:

it's like lemon tahini with some other stuff in it. yummy.

By Spider on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:12 pm:

Sounds good.

Nayonnaise. Ha!

By Nate on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:01 pm:

goddess is awesome.

By kazu on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:14 pm:

last night we went out to the floataway cafe for dinner. I had an apple and frisee salad with maytag bleu cheese and glazed walnuts, then some kind of butternut squash stuffed pasta (the pasta was halfmoon shaped and thinner than ravioli) with brown butter vinagrette. Sem had chicken over spicy greens and bread salad. the zinfandel was incredible. for dessert we had gateau victoire with chantilly laced whipped cream and apple bread pudding with ginger icecream.

yum.

tonight we are having thai food and then I am going to make something tomorrow that will likely involve some kind of interesting salad.

By dave. on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 07:01 pm:

mmmm. bread salad.

By Nate on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 07:23 pm:

we made butternut squash ravioli the other night. roast the squash and then puree it with goat cheese and sauteed garlic and onion. round won-ton wrappers that you find in the tofu case most places folded in half make thin pasta half-moons.

By Lapis on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 07:32 pm:

That sounds good.

For a moment I thought Nate was dave. and extremely out of character.

By V.v. on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 07:40 pm:

"MMM.BREAD SALAD"no way hombre,best salad in da world is WALDORF SALAD,as created for me by mister ALVIN STARDUST,a good popstar bro of mine,back in the old days when i was a budding property refubisher,we are talking red an green peppers,mushrooms (fresh an thinly sliced)an vast amounts of cashew nuts,WOW!.......Only thing that MAY beat that is GOOSEBERRY FOOL,,,,,,as made by some gay guy in Hampstead,London,England.,he was liveing ,cross the hall from the appartment i was refrurbishing,an i sometimes get the feeling he was just trying to get in my pants,but that GOOSEBERRY FOOL was awesome!

By Dougie on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:00 pm:

What's bread salad? Inquiring minds want to know.

By Lapis on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:10 pm:

That's not waldorf salad.

By dave. on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:41 pm:

it's like a vinegar-based pasta salad but with cubes of stale, crusty, italian peasant bread instead of pasta.

By V.v. on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:52 am:

Lapis,it is a waldorf,Alvin style...and lots of Iceburg lettuce.

By Lapis on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 03:57 pm:

Waldorf is apples and celery and walnuts. No lettuce.

By V.v. on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 06:37 pm:

Goes to show pop singers understand nothing about food.Allways thought his music was second rate as well,allthough you understand i could not tell him to his face at the time,seeing as i was useing his money to refurbish his ex-wifes house.I never did work out why he should want to dump such a good looking woman as Iris Fenton,not to mention his two good looking sons Sean and Adam.I suppose its the norm for pop stars.

By Spider on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:20 pm:

I got the Goddess dressing tonight and had it on a (otherwise boring) salad (romaine lettuce, broccoli, mushrooms, hardboiled egg), and it was good.

I found the excellent cheese I mentioned above: it's called gourmandaise. However, this second batch that I'm having right now tastes more herb-y than sweet, so I don't know what's going on.

By Spider on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:59 pm:

Oops, it's called gourmandise, and I learned it can come with different essences, like cherry and walnut.

By kazu on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 12:50 pm:

last night I made fattoush.

By heather on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 07:02 pm:

yum!!

share!!

love it

By kazu on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 08:39 pm:

Fattoush

2 whole wheat pita breads
    1 med cucumber (seeded and diced)
    1 green and 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
    2-3 med tomatoes (seeded and diced)
    6-8 scallions (thinly sliced)
    ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
    1-2 tbls. chopped mint

dressing:
    ½ cup lemon juice
    ½ extra virgin oil
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    1 tbls. sumac

salt and pepper to taste

preheat oven to 375
    tear pita into 1-inch pieces, place on a tray in a single layer, and bake for 5-10 minutes, until dry and crisp. Set aside to cool.
    In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, scallions, bell peppers, parsley, and mint. wisk lemon juice, oil, and sumac and pour over the vegetables. season with salt and pepper.
    add pita bread and toss.

By kazu on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 10:23 pm:

For lunch I had a basic spinach salad: spinach, walnuts, gorgonzola cheese, tossed with a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vineagar.

For dinner, I just finished a piece of salmon that was so good I'm actually sad it's over. I got 1/2 pound of fresh salmon from whole foods and cooked using the south beach rosemary style:

Grilled (but I broiled it) Salmon with rosemary:

1 pound salmon
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves minced
    2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried,

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut the fish into four equal size portions. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary in a bowl. Brush the mixture onto the fish.

To Grill, arrange the fish on a grill rack or use a grill basket spraced with olive oil cooking spray. Grill over medium-hot coals until the fish flakes easily (allow 4-6 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness. If the fish is more than 1 inch fish, gently turn halfway through grilling.

To broil, spray rack of broiler pain with olive oil cooking spray and arrange the fish on it. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 4-6 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness. If the fish is more than 1 inch fish, gently turn halfway through broiling.

It's wicked fuckin' good.

By V.v. on Sunday, April 4, 2004 - 08:42 pm:

Apart from SPINICH,if you eat too much of that,you get a free membership of the POPEYE FAN CLUB.URGH!...and i dont care if its the main ingredient in Waldorf salad,it still tastes like s**t.

By J on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 04:05 am:

I thought Waldorf salad was apples, celery,walnuts,grapes,and mayo.

By TBone on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

Spinach rules.

By Antigone on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 03:18 pm:

sardines rule

By V.v. on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 09:36 pm:

J......... I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK WADORF SALAD IS,but when Alvin Stardust made me one ,about 15 to 20 years back,when i was doing shit loads of work for IRIS FENTON, his ex wife,there is no way in the fucking world SPINACH EVEN GETS CLOSE, to being a MAIN INGREDIANT IN waldorf salad,you must admit,spinach tastes like like shit,and no one in there right mind would even think about eating that junk,if you eat spinach,you musta been watching far too many of them ,ol popeye cartoons.

By heather on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 10:14 pm:

confusing and amazing

By TBone on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 12:13 pm:

No, really. I love spinach.

By V.v. on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 05:52 pm:

TBone,how come Bluto is so big and strong?cuz he dont eat no spinach!

By sarah on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 06:17 pm:

J, that's the southern version of waldorf salad. the southern version of any real recipe means you fry it, and/or take all of the vegetables out it and add mayonnaise and/or kool-whip.

By TBone on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 07:03 pm:

Popeye and Bluto aside, I like how Spinach tastes.

By J on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 07:28 pm:

He he,that sounds about right Sarah:)

By Lapis on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 11:34 pm:

Spinach is goooooood.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 06:12 pm:

for the love of god, please someone turn off my stomach. this insatiable appetite becoming physically painful, to the point of cruelty.

does this mean i have to give up the patch? should i blame easter or spring? why can't i get full? what the hell is going on?

By TBone on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 06:16 pm:

By V.v. on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 08:59 pm:

So how many times do i have to tell you,SPINACH is a herb from hell,so DONT EAT IT........If you do,you will become 50 more nuts than v.v.,and thats a whole more nuts than me.

By kazu on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 09:14 pm:

i like nuts with my spinach, specially walnuts. i asked for extra spinach in my burrito bowl today, to replace the rice.

By jack on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 01:21 am:

spinach is not an herb. and spinach is a perfectly sensible component of a thoughtful diet.

By sarah on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 12:14 pm:

you have to pronounce it "spinach'ck"

By TBone on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 12:56 pm:

I seem to be physically incapable of pronouncing it that way.

By patrick on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 01:35 pm:

that was an overly sensible statement jack. seriously, do you write copy on healthy cereal boxes?

By jack on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 11:44 pm:

seriously?

By dave. on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 01:24 am:

a mind is a terrible thing.

By moonit on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 05:56 am:

You guys have healthy cereal?

oooh oooh The Cereal King has bought out a new flavour but the pandyr won't let me get it. It's Cafe au Lait.

By patrick on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 01:05 pm:

a 1/3 of the cereal isle in the grocery store is dedictated to healthy, fiber-laced healthy cereals. bran flakes, cherrios, shredded wheat, grape nuts, smart start and countless others.

By TBone on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 01:15 pm:

I feed grape nuts to squirrels.

By dave. on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 01:18 pm:

Now sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
    A tale of a fatefull trip
    That started from this tropic port
    Aboard this tuny ship.
    The mate was a mighty sailing man,
    The Skipper brave and sure.
    Five passengers set sail that day
    For a 3 hour tour, a 3 hour tour.
    The weather started getting rough,
    The tiny ship was tossed.
    If not for the courage of the fearless crew,
    The Minnow would be lost. The Minnow would be lost.
    The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,
    With Gilligan,
    The Skipper, too,
    The millionaire,
    And his wife,
    The movie star,
    The Professor and Mary Anne
    here on cereal isle.
    Now this is the tale of our castaways,
    They're here for a long long time.
    They'll have to make the best of things.
    It's an uphill climb.
    The first mate and the Skipper too
    Will do their very best
    To make the others comfortable
    In their tropic island nest.
    No phone, no lights, no motorcar.
    Not a single luxury.
    Like Robinson Crusoe,
    It's primitive as can be.
    So join us here each week, my friends.
    You're sure to get a smile
    From seven stranded castaways

here on cereal iiiiiiiiiiiiiiisle!

By patrick on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 02:29 pm:

mmkay.

segway.

hey nate. nate?

where are you.

anyone else in the bay area, isolde, heather.....i highly highly highly highly recommend saturday night you make plans for this if you have an extra $25.
    http://www.velvethammerburlesque.com/vhb_pages/upcoming.html

I photographed the dressing room and saw the show last night. I've seen the show before, but i have to say this show was probably the best. its completely fucking worth every dollar so you might as well go ahead and type your email thanking me for tipping you off to such an amazing event.

By dave. on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 02:41 pm:

By patrick on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 02:45 pm:

those things are so fuckin gay. more gay than the plethora of motorized skooters you see under 16 year olds and silly adults putzing around on.

By TBone on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 02:53 pm:

segue
    There's a guy who lives below me who goes all over on his Seqway. He even has a little mount for it on the back of his SUV.

By Antigone on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

I was in La Jolla two weeks ago, and there's a place on the beach that rents them. If I'd known I would have gotten one to try, but I found out too late. :(

By moonit on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 07:46 pm:

Segway sounds like mystery meat.

By Big Red on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 07:52 pm:

Low fat and good tasting!
    1 bag of baby spinach
    1 small bag of pecans (non salted)
    1 lemon
    1 pear
    1 tbs sugar or maple syrup
    olive oil

heat oil in pan, add pecans and sugar or syrup. Stir and heat up until sugar carmalizes pecans. Dump onto foil and let cool.

wash spinach, soak for a few minutes, then drain. Put in bowl, slice up pear, put in bowl, then add pecans to bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze lemon juice. Mix up and serve.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact