mississippi munchies

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: mississippi munchies
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 10:35 pm:

had an afternoon dinner at my great-uncle's house this afternoon. i haven't been to weatherford, tx in years. it has this redneck whimsical quality.

newton, my uncle, cooked venison outdoors in this rusty old grill. it's been hot, but we were under a canopy of pecan trees and breeze managed to find its way into the backyard via the driveway. he also fried up some crappie (it's a fish) dredged in spiced cornmeal. side dishes were fresh corn, squash casserole, and mississippi sweet potatos.

and, of course, homemade wine. newton pulled about 3 bottles of apricot wine out of the old tool shed.

newton's apricot wine recipe:

find an apricot tree. pick the apricots off the ground, don't wash them. you'll need the bacteria. combine one cup of apricots with one cup of sugar and quart of water. seal it up int a jar and let it sit for 6 months or more. strain it, bottle it.

the apricot we were drinking was from 2001. it was a good year. i suggested put the date on the bottle with masking tape. it was thick and sweet and had some sort of sediment. it was sort of like apricot nectar that had been spiked with vodka. my cousin warned me not to drink too much.

newton sent me home with a bottle. along with some venison, crappie, and sweet taters.

By Nate on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 10:18 am:

i didn't know people actually ate crappie by choice?

By droopy on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:54 pm:

coprophagia - it's the wave of the future.

By Nate on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:14 pm:

heh.

but seriously, how big are texas crappie? are we talking about bony fish the size of your hand?

By droopy on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:33 pm:

maybe if you had shaquille o'neal's hand. it's a type of freshwater sunfish, and the legal length limit in texas is 10 inches. but these crappie were caught in mississippi.

just so people know - the name of this fish is generally pronounced "croppie".

By Nate on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 04:20 pm:

what we call crappie around here are typically under 10 inches.

there was a time when my cousins and i caught over a 100 bluegill in a lake in new mexico. my aunt made us (quite appropriately) clean and eat them all. i don't much like those little sunfish.

By droopy on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:52 pm:

do california crappie look like this?

for me, texas fishing has always been crappie and perch - panfish, the kind you can catch off a pier or the beach or from a rowboat. easy, lazy fishin'. uncle newton up there - who's around 80, now - still keeps a bamboo patch in his yard for making fishin' poles. when i lived in rhode island, i remember kids fishing off piers in newport with improvised rods from tree branches or broom handles or something.

i haven't been fishing in years.

By patrick on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 07:16 pm:

do you not add alcohol to the apricots?

By Nate on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 09:15 pm:

naw, those are huge. what we call crappie are probably some other sunfish species.

we mostly fished for largemouth bass, catfish and trout. we'd jig for bluegill, etc, but usually catch and release.

i really didn't like fish much until long after i stopped fishing.

By droopy on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 11:46 pm:

no alcohol to the apricots. that would be a brandy or a shelf vodka. the point here is to let the sugars become alcohol.

did a word search for "california crappie". i found the same species as there are here - black and white. but it also said that they were an introduced species - only been there since 1918. they're native here, so maybe the move shrank 'em.

i have no idea what fish we caught in rhode island, except for this one flatfish you could catch off the docks. anything we caught in a boat in the ocean we never knew. none of our parents knew. except once when i caught a pufferfish. and once when a friend of mine caught a sand shark.

what i miss is clam hunting. i had an aunt (the lithuanian one) who'd take me to an estuary and we'd hunt for littleneck clams with our toes. boil 'em up then dip 'em in butter. and they gave me beer. god bless those old world types.

By platypus on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:14 am:

By droopy on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 02:17 am:

more or less like pruno, but less involved. probably because nobody's in hurry to get their homemade hooch *by the end of the week*. and i watched my aunts drink newton's nectar, so it ain't that rank.

although, i've got to admit, there's only so much of that stuff i can drink before i start getting nauseous. and i consider myself an inveterate drinker.

the most interesting thing about pruno is the jay jarvis masters poem. anybody who follows that link, be sure to click on the "sidebar" to read the poem.

By V on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:21 pm:

droopy,I wish I got to meet your Lithuanian Aunt...all Lithuanians are Brothers and Sisters to me,allthough Polish and Jews are also cool.,to an extent,I have some of the blood line.To visit Vilnius,Lithuania is awesome,when the rain hits the sidewalk its instant ice,not to mention the amazing tiny old churches,so ornate,,,and if you have the money,(we do),that wodka knocks your head clean off.This is what I find on my last vsit.The old country is a good place,with the most high growth rate in the whole of Europe last year.

By V on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:59 pm:

...Also,you know what makes me real sad? its that the Germans put so many Jews on trains to death camps,to this day,we have allmost no Jews in Lithuania,thanks to German sturm troopers....such bastards,da? tvarich?

By V on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 02:03 pm:

...sorry to speak so much in Russian, da is yes,tvarich is comrade,,,,sorry.

By droopy on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:01 pm:

she's dead, now - my lithuanian aunt - but you would've liked her. full of life. unlike the chronically underexcited irish family she married into. i'd like to visit vilnius. i've had it in my mind that i'd like to travel around eastern europe one day. i saw some travel show on the czech republic a while ago. it looked appealing. i have a cousin who's been there a couple of times, she loves it. and there's a cool ossuary - bone repository - in a town called kutna hora where the entire interior (like the altar, the chandelier) is made out of human bones. and i hear czech beer is great.

just out of curiosity, what's your drink of choice, v? wodka? i think i've heard you mention port, once.

yes, i think the nazis were bastards.

i could understand the russian. americans pick up a little bit of russian from movies or books made during the cold war (or about the cold war) where all the villains are soviet russians. i know "da", "tvarich", "do svidaniya", and "spasiba".

I had to do a word search to find out how to spell the last two. i came up with this site. so blame them for the spellings.

will any of those phrases actually work?

By Spider on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 09:38 am:

My friend P. went croppie fishing in Montana and caught about 30 -- the fish were about 6-7 inches long, but had very little meat on them.

Droopy, what's your email address? I'm in PA now and I left your letter in MT.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:31 pm:

i don't know what the hell is wrong with the rest of the world's crappie. and why are people even catching 6 to 7 inch fish? that's not food, it's a pet.

dorogaya spider,
    Pish. Ochen' zhdu. Zhdu vashego otveta. S neterpeniem zhdu otveta.
    Poka!
    Do svidaniya!
    Tseluyu.
    S uvazheniem,
    droopy

By droopy on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:41 pm:

son of a bitch. it didn't put up my email address. i swear i wrote it in the box.

By V on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

droopy,perhaps the Russian translation site is not perfect,but is also not bad...and I wish to God you get back to "the old country" sometime soon,make the effort,they are YOUR people,and all so mine,most speak English,also Lithuaniun,Polish,and Russian,they are dam smart,and had the fastest growing economy in Europe last year,800 hundred years back,they smashed up the "ottomans" due to haveing the best army in the world at the time...you have lots to be proud of,,,dam hell of a lot..."spaceba balshoi tavarich".....thats "thank you very much,comrade"..........you know,I spoke with a Russian professor in London 5 years back,I ask "is it still o.k. to use the word "tavarich" in Russia,he say,"da,is o.k.,we like the old days best,now,is like American "wild west"....plenty shootings by Russian mafia,you get shot in Russia more easy tham U.S.A.,,,,and Police allways look the other way.,as they get plenty money from ex-K.G.B. to do so.

By droopy on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 01:30 am:

i didn't have much faith in the scholarship of that site, but i got a kick out of their choice of phrases.

i can remember when calling someone "tavarich" in america was an insult - you were a commie, a leftist, un-american.

the "old country" for me is ireland, wales, and scotland. but i'd still like to visit lithuania, the czech republic, etc.

By V on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:16 pm:

Irish,Welsh and Scots are all nice,v has met them all,indeed the most high of civilized people,but someplace in your persona,(I only suggest,)you may have a touch of the "Ghengis"like,when someone pisses you off big time,,,and as as in the movie "28 days" you want to push some guys eyes through his brain with your thumbs....I feel like that, about 6 times a day,perhaps it keeps me alive,,,like your "native Americans" say..."a man dies when he no longer wishes to live"....so you and me die at 500? sounds good to me

By droopy on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:24 am:

sounds good to me, too. though i've always felt that there are definitely forces out there actively, if subtly, trying to kill me.

but i'll try to hang on as long as i can.

By V on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 05:13 pm:

.....no,you will live to be 500,thats an order,,,you know what you are Mr.Droopy?you are absolute amazing guy,you post fucking smart,very wise,far more brains than your President,indeed,far more brains than Vladimir Putin,why do not other Sorabjis give you full respect?...they must be fools,da?from what I see,you need to be far more confident of your self,you are a main man.,myself,I give you respect,others need to do so...also you read of Mr Hawkins? on the planet,he happens to be the most smart guy alive,since Einstien,also in wheelchair,like you,you see of this person?...I do,plenty times,and myself I think he is not so much apart from you.

By V on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 06:04 pm:

...the mans name is STEPHAN HAWKINS,and for me is the most smart guy in the world, Mr.Droopy,perhaps you need to E.Mail him...most of his body no longer works,but his mouth does,sort of,I think he can still use a computer,just....think he has motor nurone sindrome,so nerves no longer work in body,you hear of this?...if you can get through to the guy,do it,I think he is at Cambridge University,England.

By V on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 01:24 pm:

MR.DOOPY,you want for to know something?,with out your postings,this place is a dead zone....myself with my odd and zany postings try to keep it alive.

By V on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

and how come if your at the bottom end of of shit loads of postings,mostly by me,no one gets back to you?

By droopy on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

sorry. it's just that there are currently so many posts by you on here, most of them you fighting with jack, you don't always get to every one of them.

like i said, i plan to stay alive as long as is convenient to me. but if you ask stephen hawkings, he'll tell you about entropy. life is temporary moment of wholeness in a world of disorder and chaos.

By V on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:57 pm:

Poetic,but you still need six computers...most of the time I have klingons on the starboard bow,its a bit like flushing a toilet,bits of jack cling on.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact