organic

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: organic
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:31 pm:

yesterday i bought an organic grapefruit. the thing was HUGE, quite a bit bigger than a softball. wasn't sure how good it would be since it's not citrus season at all.

i ate it today and it was deeeeelish. somehow organically grown food always tastes a little better to me. including naturally raised meats and stuff.

i hope my love for vegetables will return after baby is born. mostly i just choke them down because they're good for me.

By droopy on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 02:37 am:

i pickled some eggs a few weeks ago and had a chance to sample one this afternoon. it made my eyes water, but i liked it; maybe it could've been a little spicier. i think they'd be good with shots of iced vodka. i'm pretty sure none of this is organic.

By platypus on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:10 am:

I have always had a simultaneous deep fear of and fascination with pickled eggs. Maybe I should try making some, conquer my demons. I'm also nervous about pickling in general, because I'm afraid I'll do it wrong...what's your recipe, droopy?

By droopy on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 03:35 pm:

i was introduced to "pickled" eggs by my mother. when we finished a jar of pickles, she'd save the jar and the remaining juice; then she would hard-boil as many eggs as she thought would fit in the jar, shell 'em, drop 'em in and let them sit in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. by that time they would've soaked up enough juice to have tangy pickle taste. she considered it a good substitute for the hassle of making deviled eggs. the eggs turn pickle green, however, and it can be fun to put a bowl of green, vinegary-smelling eggs out at a party.

this time around i thought i'd try some hardcore, deep penetration pickling. i used a recipe from a 40 year-old 'joy of cooking' book.

prepare: 6 hard-cooked eggs
    shell and stick into each egg: 4 cloves - 24 in all
    boil 2 cups of vinegar [i used the cheap, white distilled stuff i keep around the apartment for cleaning and stuff]
    make a smooth paste of:
    ˝ tsp ground mustard [which i didn't have, and substituted horseradish]
    ˝ tsp salt
    ˝ tsp pepper
    a little cold vinegar

add this to the boiling vinegar and stir for one minute. put eggs in a glass fruit jar and pour boiling vinegar over them. refrigerate for about 2 weeks.

i have another recipe (from a danish cookbook) that uses allspice, ginger, and bay leaf. i think i'll try that one next.

my suggestion is to try dropping eggs in pickle juice first. if you find you like that, you can go martha stewart on the ova. there must be a million different recipes on the web.

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:38 pm:

My wife's big-time into buying "organic," along with making the vegetable garden this year "organic." 1/2 gallon of milk == $4.50 at the store. That's a little hard for me to swallow.

By heather on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 07:16 pm:

trader joe's is the best for organic staples

i also think they taste better
    usually

By The watcher on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 07:30 pm:

cheese

By Antigone on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:51 am:

cheese

By sarah on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:47 pm:

we always had pickled eggs at my great grandmother's. the eggs were pickled along with sliced beets, so that the egg whites were pink.

we had some of these when i was in Pennsylvania early last month for a mini family reunion.

we also had bagels and lox with onions and capers and cream cheese every morning. for dinner we had stuffed cabbage and chicken and barley soup. for lunch, chopped chicken liver on pumpernickel.

none of it was organic.

By droopy on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 03:31 am:

i suppose you can pickle an organic egg. if there is such a thing. i'm a little vague on this whole "organic" concept; i don't think i've ever eaten an inorganic grapefruit.

i think my mother learned about pickled eggs from a jewish friend. back in rhode island, we had friends who ran a jewish bakery. they were famous for their sissel bread (that's rye bread with caraway seeds, gentiles). after the divorce and the move to texas, it became a tradition that anybody who took a trip to rhode island had to bring back sissel bread.

By V on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 09:07 pm:

droopy,v is still alive you know,sorabji has problems posting to Europe,we get shut down for 7-8 days at a time...all i get on the computer is "this place does not exist",and as v is on line,for secs only,,v just says,"Lady bless" ,v has no male God,only a female God..pisses me off no end v cant get to you 1 to 1....1 day perhaps??????????????????????

By heather on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:19 pm:

no one wants to drive behind the cardboard truck

By agatha on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 01:00 pm:

F'reals, Heather.

By droopy on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 03:07 pm:

i often have the vision of v and i sitting together on the hill of crosses in siauliai, lithania, cursing the earth and drinking ourselves to death on polish wódka.

By V on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:21 am:

,,,,droopy,I love you to bits,if we can do that,we will do that,my legs dont operate as well anymore.,at the last test,my legs work for 10 miles,then shut down,the pain is amazing.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:40 am:

droopy, polish wódka?

By V on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 05:09 am:

....its like some one has taken a propane gas burner to my knee caps.....droopy-awesome in my books,and its real cool you git back to this old Lithuanian guy in London,England,....you know my Sister asked me who I give my money to when I die,v say "5 cats",she say,"how come you have 5 cats,last time I talk to you,you have only 1,I say "4 cats needed food,so I fed them"

By V on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:20 pm:

....and droopy,I now have 6 cats,listening to the "Sex Pistols" right now,its amazing what you can get on "you tube",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,even got "George Formby",died in ,1962...so ,if I may ask,what are the dead people you want to see again?,apart from me?....I will try to do a guess,Jim ,lead singer ,Doors,,,,,,,years back,.

By jack on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:18 pm:

wrong again. bye bye.

By V on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:38 pm:

...is that permanent,bloody hope so...

By jack on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 01:04 am:

you don't want to see jack posts? just stay off this site, dimwit! or maybe you should cast some more spells, chubwitch!

By Der beobachter on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 08:03 pm:

ich bin richtig er ist sehr fremd und sehr ungewohnlich

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact