poached egg

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: poached egg
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 02:58 pm:

i've been getting into breakfast a little more, lately - at least on the weekends. i've always like a poach egg; nothing fancy, even: just an egg over a toasted english muffin with salt and pepper and i'm happy. but only once have i managed to make a "perfect" poached egg.

let me explain what cooking from a wheelchair is like. imagine first that you have raised your stove off the ground (on blocks or something) so that the range-top is as high as your shoulder. imagine further you have a large cardboard box (like the one the stove would've come in). cut it up so that it's as high as your hips; cut a hole in the top so that you can stand inside the box and it extends about 2 1/2 feet in front of you and about 6 inches on each side. secure the box to your person so that you can only turn at the waist and everything you do has to be done to the side of you and not in front of you

now you're ready to cook.

i poach an egg by letting a small sauce pan of water - slightly salted with a splash of vinegar in it - come to a rapid boil and then turning it down to a simmer. i crack an egg (which i've let come to room temperature) into a 1/3 measuring cup. i use the handle end of a wooden spoon to stir the simmering water into a vortex. when i drop the egg into the middle of the vortex, i have to reach over with my left hand and sort of pour it in since the top of the sauce pan is about chin height and far enough away that lowering it in is difficult. then i use the toasting time of the english muffin to judge the cooking time. the egg cooks, but usually has a blob shape.

but but a little while ago it occured to me to bend the handle of the measuring cup up so that it's like a ladle. when the egg cooked, it came out in a perfect disk shape. the only problem is, i can't seem to recreate that little triumph. maybe i'm just thinking about it too much. or maybe i just need a proper, long-handled ladle.

By patrick on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:04 pm:

my woman had a poached egg along with soyrizo and texas toast yesterday morning. i can't stand poached eggs. they smell horrible and sulfurous. hard boiled eggs can also really stink up a kitchen. upon giving her shit for her stinky breakfast and the effect it was having on me and my breakfast...she got defensive and said that when i scramble an egg it smells just as farty but i just dont notice it. i dont believe her, because if that were the case there's no way i'd eat scrambled eggs.

i dont put anything that smells like ass gas into my mouth.

By Nate on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:41 pm:

another vote for a droopy book.

you ever eat broccoli, patrick?

your scrambled eggs are definitely releasing some sort of sulfide gas.

i've never noticed the sulfur smell with poached eggs. i think the longer an egg is cooked, the more its proteins break down and the more sulfide gas you get.

i think you have some deep seated anxiety about non-scrambled eggs. the duality of life, the mind/body separation, in stark and visual metaphor.

i love a properly poached egg. i've never attempted to make one at home. i am lucky in that i can find well executed poached eggs at the same place that has the best croissants in town. and the coffee is good, too.

By platypus on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:39 pm:

I adore poached eggs on toast, with the yolk thoroughly runny and lots of butter, although I agree with Patrick: they do smell bad. So do all egg dishes, in strict point of fact, which is why I don't make eggs very often.

Droop, have you ever used an egg poacher? It's kind of cheating, but I have to say I really like the one my dad gave me. It turns out beautifully rounded and perfectly coherent poached eggs every time, like magic.

By patrick on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:44 pm:

i eat brocolli all the time and at times notice the sulfur to it at times....also with cauliflower.

the runny yolk also freaks me out. i only like eggs scramble hard, drenched in hot sauce.

we have an egg poacher, which, in essence is like a double boiler with 4 little cups for poaching.

By TBone on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:59 pm:

I eat local eggs nearly every day for breakfast. I only notice nasty smells with overcooked eggs, though my olfactory system has never been particularly sensitive. My nose is large, but surprisingly bad at all of the things noses are supposed to do.

I gently cook my eggs so that the yolks are runny and the whites are solid but still tender. Well, that's the plan, anyway.

On weekends I make baked eggs in the toaster oven. Two eggs, a tablespoon of milk, and inexpert seasoning in a ramekin. I'm still working on the temperature and timing, though. In addition to my clumsy seasoning, I sprinkle some grated Grana Padano on top and at the end lightly brown it with the toaster oven set on broil for a minute.

By Nate on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:37 pm:

you like chives, Tbone? throw some chives in the bottom of your baked eggs.

patrick, ass gas in your mouth, bro.

By TBone on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:46 pm:

Oh yeah, I've done that a few times. Good stuff.

By patrick on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:04 pm:

greyeure cheese and grit souffle on a sunday morning....nothing better.

By wisper on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 07:36 pm:

i use greyeure cheese in this fabulous pasta dish. But greyeure cheese is so god damn expensive i only end up making it twice a year, which saddens me. My mom used to make it a lot so once i moved out this was quite a depressing shock.
    *sigh*

By Spider on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 09:02 pm:

Droopy, I had a hard time visualizing your cooking apparatus. Are you within the box, and if so, how does it support you?

Gruyere cheese is heavenly.

My mother had the ramifications of "living simply" in Montana when I called her one night and asked her for recipe advice. She started listing all these great options, but I had to tell her we had NO cheese (let alone real, good, authentic, non-government cheese), and she said with deep sincerity and heart-felt emotion, "Oh, honey, I feel so SORRY for you." *Sniff* It was indeed a trying time. I often wondered if I was the only Italian in the state. (Even the dogs in Italy eat cheese; cheese makes the world go round.)

(Actually, the nearest store that carried imported cheese was a specialty deli in Sheridan, WY, left off the main street as you head south out of town. If you ever have cause to be in Sheridan, stock up on your cheese needs there.)

I'm not really a fan of eggs. Lately, I can't eat them without toast on the side because they hurt my stomach. Also, I don't smell the sulfur (unless that's what makes eggs have their standard egg smell) because, like TBone's, my olfactory system is not my sharpest sense.

I do like Eggs Benedict, though -- those are poached eggs, yes?

By Nate on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:17 pm:

i think that a standing in a box with a shoulder-high cook range approximates sitting in a wheelchair with a regular height cook range.

By droopy on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:36 pm:

what nate said, spider. i could also just have said "try cooking while sitting in a chair", but i liked the standing in a box concept better. i assumed people would get the general idea. if you want, though, i will post clearer and more detailed instructions.

i doubt i will ever end up buying an egg poacher. when i poach an egg the way i usually do it, it comes out looking like this, usually. which i'm happy enough with. the closest i've come to eggs benedict was when i put a couple of slices of deli ham on an english muffin and then melted some swiss cheese over it in the toaster oven. when i put the egg over it, the melted cheese kept it from sliding off the ham. i had no hollandaise(sp?) sauce, though.

when i poach an egg, i like somewhere between an egg over easy and a soft-boiled egg. the white is usually firm but not rubbery and i like the yolk to be semi-liquid - oozey rather than runny. i know a lot of people have an aversion to eggs - smell, texture, all that - but i don't. i'll even slurp down a raw one as a quick breakfast.

i have always cooked for myself, and despite what i may have written it's never been much of a problem. but lately i've become sick of cooking. i used to be that i would look forward to opening up a bottle of wine and start making a meal from scratch. now i could care less. i could live off poached eggs, sandwiches, and cornflakes nowadays.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:28 am:

Try to light your ass with your lighter to see how flameable is the gas.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:30 am:

Dr Pepper, do you have any hair on your ass?

the way you described things really worked for me, droop. opened my eyes to something i'd never thought about before.

yay.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:53 am:

No, no, it's all right. It's just that what I'm visualizing is reminiscent of a little boy wearing a robot costume made out of two boxes and some tinsel, and I didn't know if that was an appropriate mental image to have. I did not mean to impugn your descriptive abilities, which are above par.

By droopy on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:25 am:

you visualized correctly - like an abusurd halloween costume. the image popped into my mind as i was writing that post; i think my brain has a way of reminding me not take things too seriously. i didn't feel impugned; i just didn't think it was worth over-analyzing.

By platypus on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:34 am:

I have to say, I was a huge fan of the cooking in a wheelchair explanation, as indeed I am a huge fan of your way with words in general, droopy.

Maybe I should send you my backup egg poacher (my Chinese mother is pathologically incapable of allowing anyone in the family to have only one of anything). In fact, maybe we could have an "Obscure Cooking Implements" exchange, in which Sorabjites the world over dug out their most peculiar and unused cooking utensils and sent them to each other.

Egg poachers are pretty much the epitome of everything that is wrong with unitaskers, except when the insert tray fits into a cast iron pan so that you can use it to make little souffles in the oven.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 02:46 am:

Naw Nate, but I was told of possibilty of passing gas, but when it comes to a lighter, please, be careful.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 02:50 am:

I, er. uhmm, will not be held for any liabity for possible of injury in anyway of handling gas passing and lighter, please keep that one thing in mind, it also possible that can cause implosion of your stomach.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 02:56 am:

i would think it would be an explosion of your bowel.

flaming ass is no laughing matter.

i'm just kidding. it's totally a laughing matter. Dr. Pepper, i highly recommend searching youtube for videos of chicks lighting farts on fire.

(this message brought to you by your friendly neighborhood unemployed man. when it comes to idle entertainment, you can put your trust in the unemployed. we're not working for you!)

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:22 am:

I can't sleep.

You bastards.

Although I have gotten a nice compact recurrent neural network implementation done whilst non-somnolent.

But it doesn't matter.

You fuckers.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 05:37 am:

hey now, i can't sleep either. and i haven't gotten shit done.

By Patrick on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:51 pm:

ever since eva shipped ahead of the pack to NC to start school and its just the two of us and the dog, we've so taken an aversion to cooking. In fact, I cant tell you the last time we actually ate at the table. The child really helps make ritual of the whole damn thing. If we even bother with dinner at all, its a matter of how fast can we make a pasta? is there a frozen pizza? can we just bread and cheese it? thai or tacos? and who's buyin and who's flyin?

Having a consistent rat problem to deal with right now, on top of the fact of being totally emotionally wiped makes it really hard to dive into the kitchen and make headway.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 02:39 pm:

I have seen one on you tube several time, and part of i am bored.com , that guy, Adam Savage from "mythbuster" did a episode, and it never aired, It did appeared on I am bored. intersting fact, yes, it does flame when it comes to a mixture of lighter and passing gas.

By wisper on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 08:18 pm:

So is he fucking retarded or what?
    I can't imagine trolling that well or being that bad yet competent at english at the same time. It would have to be among the best trolling i've ever seen. And yet the engrish nature of it all still leads me to think he may be ESL or some kind of savant.
    God damn it, we may never know.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:35 pm:

holy shit. I just realized that Dr. Pepper has quite possibly become the most fascinating personality Sorabji has ever seen.

By jack on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:01 pm:

dude. are you serious? where have you been?

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 03:30 am:

Wisper, English was never my second language! and no, I am not a fucking retarded, like I have said in the past, the system failed me...... you have to figure this out ........ you ..... lame ......

By heather on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:04 am:

frankly, the dr is not my type.

which system is this, exactly? i am thinking, life support.

By Sorabji wannabe on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:27 am:

Now Now, how can dr p be an idiot savant? Like political candidates, h/s/it wears thin.

Send oxygen. detailed recipes for fruit sorbet. rubber candles wicking at wer suit blow holes. wheelless chairs idling ins space full of bytes from mospquito news.

mosquitos news.

metis mews.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 01:26 pm:

Heather, this is Dr. P v2.1

Its way way better than v1.8. Much more nimble, agile and virile.

By platypus on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

Are you saying that it's...evolved?

By patrick on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

*blink blink*

By jack on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 04:24 pm:

the nervous system

the solar system

the employee grievance reporting system

By sarah on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 06:09 pm:

so back to eggs.

so i bet most of you open the carton of eggs to see if any are broken before you purchase them. but how many of you check the expiration date?

i love eggs, in all their gassy farty smelling glory. i love them any which way except over easy... no runny yolks! bleagh! i eat eggs almost every day too, and breakfast is my favorite meal. i have a million and one egg recipes. but the best is simply fried eggs with fresh chopped dill on top and a tomato slice.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 06:18 pm:

i prefer runny yolks when i have bread. yolks thin but warm, with salt and toast. beautiful.

this morning i ate breakfast at the guerilla cafe in berkeley. they poach their in some sort of poacher, perfect little domes. with chives and pepper on toast, and a side of tomatoes and cucumber and olives and some sort of crumbly cheese drenched in olive oil and balsamic. and a cup of bluebottle coffee.

By platypus on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 08:57 pm:

The feed store, where I buy my cat litter and other feline sundries, has a deal with local farmers who bring in their fresh eggs, so I am fortunate enough to have access to farm-fresh eggs rather than old ones from the supermarket. I just opened a double-yolker when I was making scones.

Eggs are often just fine after their expiry date, incidentally.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 09:11 pm:

You've got to have a runny yolk if you're eating eggs and bacon. Hard eggs are just....when we were kids, if the yolk broke in the pan we'd feed that hard egg to our dad and make ourselves a new egg. Hard eggs are useless.

When we were really little, my dad used to make us Ovs Batus, which is nothing but raw eggs and boatloads of sugar beaten together until creamy and then spread on toast. Before you gag, let me remind you of the Unholy Food Combination thread and say that it could have been much worse.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:09 pm:

i've eaten eggs months past their expiry date. i'm under the impression that a bad egg smells like a bad egg when you crack it.

which is why pavlov's barefoot contessa always tells you to crack your eggs into a separate bowl. not that i do that.

my cousin has chickens. eggs fresh from the chicken's ass are great.

eggs are great.

yay eggs.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:10 pm:

also, when i make ice cream i don't bother heating the yolks. i always beat the eggs and then beat the sugar into the eggs before adding the milk or cream.

raw egg and sugar is great.

yay raw egg and sugar.

By kazu on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:19 pm:

I eat lots of things past their marked expiration.

I used to have a chart that indicated how long
    you could actually wait.

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:00 pm:

Ah, Berkeley.

I dreamed of Berkeley before I ever went there.

When I got there, it looked just like my dream, down to the building.

From the dream I remember looking at the roof of the computer science building and wishing I could make it inside.

I now realize sitting on the roof is just as good.

By platypus on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:08 pm:

I have to say, speaking of raw eggs and sugar, I fucking love egg nog. Real egg nog, that is, not that weird facsimile you buy in the store. Nothing quite like a delicious glass of cool frothy egg nog.

Antigone, I wish I'd realized that before I blew a semester's worth of tuition at Berkeley. Maybe there should be a sign over Sather Gate: "sitting on the roof is just as good."

By Nate on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:13 pm:

berkeley is a shitstain with some redeeming qualities.

By wisper on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:24 pm:

I sure do check the expiration date before i buy them, and i eat them right up until the day after. If there's any left at that point i hard boil them all.
    Yay eggs

By Spider on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:33 pm:

Egg nog is the yuletide beverage of the gods. It's so decadent.

Does Ben and Jerry's put out an egg nog ice cream? I would totally eat that.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:10 am:

Very nice of you people posting some comments about me. I appreciate for your effort.

By droopy on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:10 am:

somebody puts out an egg nog ice cream, because i remember getting a tub of it on some christmas past. it may sound like a good idea for one serving, put it quickly wears out its welcome.

i make what are basically egg nogs year-round: milk, raw egg, sugar, and a little vanilla mixed together. it's a good hangover remedy. i even figured out how to incorporate peanut butter into it.

i always check the date on eggs. i have found, empirically, that older eggs are easier to peel when they're hard boiled. i'll use eggs on or past its "use by" date to make pickled eggs.

pickled eggs, dr. pepper, will make a military-grade flame thrower out of your anus. try it.

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:25 am:

what's your recipe for pickled eggs, droop?

mine involves eating a jar of pickles first. i'd like one without that criteria, though.

By droopy on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 02:02 am:

by "eating a jar of pickles" i assume you mean drop the hard-boiled eggs in the brine and wait a week or two. i like that, actually. sarah pointed out to me that you can do the same thing with pickled beet juice and get nifty purple pickled eggs.

the hardcore way - and i use a danish recipe - involves boiling white vinegar with spices and pouring it over boiled eggs in sealable jar: classic pickling. the outcome is pretty intense.

i'm a bit too liquored up to dig up and transcribe the recipe at the moment. ask me later.

actually, i just remembered that there was a thread about this here

By Danielssss on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 08:56 am:

eating hard boiled and certainly expired eggs in S ignace Michigan, upper penninsula byh a hair, and embarking on sixteen hours of training solely facilitated by yours truly. Well, we'll keep you posted on explosions at the podium.

Use the hot vinegar and canning method otherwise you run the risk of caning some nasty shit with the pickled eggs. Of course, sterilze the jars first, but its the eggs and the handling that breeds the nasties.

how bout that Letterman guy? What a guy. I guess he'd feel that true American heros would only be able to do one thing at a time, and would eat raw egg over hard boiled, full well knowing the risk of salminella, and cancel a debate over the gaseous results.

Oh wait! that's McSame. I'd bet He'd only eat McD's artificially cooked egg lookalike substitute prolly cuz it costs more and benefits corporate amerika, his friends, and fucks the people out of nutritional benefit...

By sarah on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:26 pm:

mmmm pickled eggs!

it's true that the closer that eggs get to their expiration date the easier they are to peel after they've been boiled.

once i bought local eggs 3 days before their expiration date and was disappointed to find out the next day that after i had boiled six of them, they all tasted like bad fish.

another time i accidentally bought those really expensive DHA Omega 3 eggs on the day before their expiration date and again was disappointed the next day when i cracked one into a pan to find that it had gone rancid.

i took them back to the store to get my money back.

now i always check the expiration date. especially because i frequently make caesar salad dressing from scratch.

By patrick on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 03:51 pm:

the fresher the egg, it seems the more sulfurous they are. i learned this the hardway in belize by ordering a breakfast burrito. it tasted like ass. it was not uncommon for a cafe to have a chicken or two running around in back. also the water there is very very sulfurous so that doesnt help either.

By Spider on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 05:00 pm:

(I was wrong above. My dad's breakfast treat is called Oufs Sbatúus, though the spelling has not been regularized [it's in Friulano].)

In Montana we'd get eggs from the Amish farm down the street, eggs so fresh they'd still have hay and dirt (uh, I hope) stuck on the shells, and I couldn't tell any taste difference between them and the eggs from the store.

Though I didn't conduct any scientific blindfolded taste tests.

Maybe my sense of taste is dampened along with the sense of smell. TBone, do you have this problem, too?

By Nate on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:05 pm:

smell is a major component of taste sensation.

i had these chicken thighs the other day. it was cold in the house, and i figured it was cold outside, so i made this kind of one-pot braised thing:

3 bone-in chicken thighs, salted and browned in olive oil in an enameled cast iron pot. pour off the excess grease and add a can of diced tomatoes, a can and a half of water, a handful of brown rice, a handful of french lentils, red pepper flakes, coriander seed, black pepper. bring to a bubble and then simmer over lowest heat for an hour or so. add a can of artichoke hearts (trade joes, whole hearts, love them) and cook for another 20 minutes or so.

while it was cooking i discovered it was about 95 degrees outside. this late summer norcal weather -- cold for a few days, hot for a few days -- is really confusing.

it was still good.

no oufs.

thighs of post-oufs though.

By TBone on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:08 pm:

Yes, especially when my nose is all closed up for no reason. Like right now. I think that's why I like powerful flavors like loads of garlic and blue cheeses.

Though I do notice a difference in the yolks when they're runny. The local egg yolks seem -- I don't know -- richer? They're certainly much darker in color.

Mostly it's the eggs from people's backyard chickens in which I notice a difference. The eggs from the Hutterites are just like store eggs, but most stores around here sell eggs from Wolf Creek, which is like 40 miles away. You can buy eggs from farther away, but I generally don't.

By Dougie on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 12:56 pm:

Jacques Pepin says for hard-boiled eggs, if you take a pushpin and put a small hole in the bottom of the egg, it will remove the air sac, and will allow the sulfur to escape while boiling, and will give you a yellow yolk, not a green-tinged one. Also, he had a good trick to figure out if an egg is hard-boiled or not (as I usually boil a bumch for the week, and put some back in the container): spin the egg on a counter, and if it spins quickly, it's boiled. If not, it's raw.

By platypus on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 12:57 pm:

I always thought you were supposed to poke eggs to keep them from cracking. But now I know why I never get green-tinged yolks.

I have some old eggs, maybe I should hard boil them. Make me some deviled eggs. I love deviled eggs.

By Dougie on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 01:04 pm:

Ooh yeah, I'm in heaven when at a party, there's deviled eggs, and cold shrimp.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

which reminds me, i just read something about adding a tablespoon of plain white vinegar to the water when you are poaching eggs, and it makes the egg stay in one piece.

By platypus on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 02:27 am:

Acidulated water is the best.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact