Almond cake

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Almond cake
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 07:55 pm:

I just made an incredibly delicious and easy cake, which I must share with you. I believe this recipe is by Thomas Keller.

Almond Cake

7 oz. almond paste
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
    2 Tbsp honey
    3 large eggs
    2 Tbsp amaretto, plus more for brushing on top
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
    1 pinch kosher salt
    1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
    confectioner's sugar
    butter and flour to coat the pan

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 8" pan, and then line the bottom with parchment paper.

Mix the almond paste and the sugar with an electric mixer. Use low speed at first until the almond paste is broken apart, and then switch to medium speed until the paste is broken into fine particles. This takes awhile, maybe 5-7 minutes, and watch out for chunks of almond paste flying up out of the bowl. When the particles are fine, add in the butter and mix for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the pan as needed. Fall on the side of mixing too much instead of too little -- if you don't mix it well enough, the cake will be dense and you don't want that.

Mix in the honey. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each egg completely into the mixture before adding the next one. Add the amaretto. Add the flour and a pinch of salt, and mix just until combined.

Scrape the batter into the cake pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the cake is golden and springs back from the touch. Cool on a wire rack.

Toast your almonds while the cake is baking.

Flip the cake onto a plate and remove the parchment lining from the bottom. Use another plate to flip it back around the right way up. Brush additional amaretto on top, sprinkle your toasted almonds, and dust powdered sugar on top.

Picture

The picture does not capture the wonder of this cake. The texture of this cake is unlike anything I've ever had -- it's light, smooth, and creamy, like you could smear it with a knife. Delicious. I paired it with Haagen-Dazs' Spiced Caramel Biscuit limited edition ice cream.

It was also super easy to make. The only hard part was finding almond paste in the grocery store -- I found it at Wegman's in the baking aisle near the pie filling.

A++++ would bake again. Will probably bake on my birthday.

By Antigone on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:32 pm:

Cool. With so little flour I might be able to substitute rice flour
    and have it come out well.

By droopy on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 12:44 am:

i made strawberry infused vodka last week.

started reading the Hunger Games today (somebody
    gave me a copy). i think they have mentioned food or
    eating in each of the ten chapters i have read so
    far. i got so hungry i had to get up and get a bowl
    of grapes to keep by my side. i left off at the
    beginning of the "game" part, so they probably won't
    have a decent meal again for a while.

By sarah on Monday, June 4, 2012 - 09:25 pm:

i want to make watermelon infused vodka. and
    almond cake!

after 30 days to shredded is over.

everyone keeps telling me to ready However Many
    Shades of Grey.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 5, 2012 - 10:08 am:

By sarah on Thursday, June 7, 2012 - 05:17 pm:

yep. i need to not waste my time.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact