An apology to Americans from our friendly neighbors to the north

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: An apology to Americans from our friendly neighbors to the north
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:11 pm:

My Canadian friend Yukon Tom sent me this, from an anonymous Canucklehead:

On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron.

He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defence I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your White House during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's very nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we feel your pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this. We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Thank you.

By Kitty Foreman on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

How many times I gotta tell you, Don't poke the bear!

By Nate on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

the funny thing about canada is that it enjoys huge safety simply by existing in our shadow. that must be a marvelous boon to canada's economy.

By wisper on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:16 pm:

safety?
    we've got shit all here, brother. SHIT ALL.

okay, some trees. And a bunch of oil (shhhh! don't tell!) but surely nothing worth plundering.

By eri on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:25 pm:

Not to mention the titty hard on freezing cold weather! hehe.

I would like to visit Canada, though, on a vacation or something.

By Nate on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

afghanistan has shit all too, wispy.

By Bigkev on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

Yes canada's military is in a deplorable state of dis-repair... but no-one who gets elected does anything about it (I know that you Americans are used to your elected officals not lying to you, but...). call it canadas 16yr(and still counting) experiment in Reagan-omics....

please dont invade us for our oil... we cant even buy it ourselves, (i think they ship it to africa, i mean they must cause why would oil from up the road cost me the same as oil from 1/2 a world away?)

safety?? from who? from what? no-one hates canada. the third world hates America not us...

By patrick on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:14 pm:

we go you go.

By Bigkev. on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

thats why no-one likes you...

realize this; America Doesn't Rule The World.

we dont disappear just cause you go. unless Kim Song Il nukes your asses, then yes we're pretty much fucked...

By patrick on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:43 pm:

realize this: yes we do.

we've taken your hockey teams. its a only a matter of time before your lumber and your beer are ours.

just get with the program already. its much easier this way.

By trace on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 08:23 pm:

You know what I would like to see?

A kind of "It's A Wonderful Life", but call it "It's a Wonderful Earth".

Base it on an idea that the American Revolution was never fought.

Maybe it could get lost in some UN debate....

By trace on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

By the way,
    the whole reason for the Existance of the UN is this:

To counter the United States.

Seriously.

By Bigkev on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 08:39 pm:

well we've taken cricket.
    id like to see you do that.

By trace on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 09:15 pm:

you can have cricket

By Rowlf on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:26 pm:

Theres nothing worth protecting in North America. At least not anymore. Theres a bunch of mediocre landmarks, corporations, and an entertainment industry. Big loss.

Theres fighting for your family, and fighting for your country. In a different time, I can see why people would fight for their country, especially America. There was so much potential and hope. Call this pessimistic, but I think its realistic: thats pretty much gone. The "United States of Advertising" joke isn't such a cynical remark. Its pretty damn true. Its the Empire.

Over the past 10-12 years I've seen more and more "small" (big for the country, but small enough to be bought by the big American companies) companies disappear and become replaced by bigger, brighter buildings that arent exactly better. Less and less variety. Theres 2-3 new McDonalds in the city EVERY YEAR. Some a few blocks away from each other. Doesn't anyone else wish it would slow down, or is this progress? The neighborhood I grew up in had this awesome park. I played baseball there with my friends and rode bikes through this trail we created through the forest. We dug small holes everywhere to make our own mini putt. It has been bulldozed for this awful plaza noone goes to with a bad convenience store a fitness studio and a Blockbuster.

its not the existence of Walmart, McDonalds, Starbucks, Blockbuster, etc. thats disturbing. its just that theres so much of it you drown in it. I want less of them. I actually want a visit to WalMart to be 'special' because it isnt everywhere. I want McDonalds to be a cheap night out once in a while, instead of a place you get your meal everyday. Theres too much. Are they there because theres more people and therefore more stores are needed? Or is it because they have so much money now that they can invade our areas, getting closer and closer to our homes, making it easier and easier to pick our pockets because its RIGHT THERE.

More and more awful suburban homes that look exactly the same. its like living in "Edward Scissorhands".

Sometimes I want to move away just to get away from it. I can deal with waiting an extra 8 months to see the latest blockbuster hit, I can deal with lowered access to name brand chocolate, and I can certainly deal without the North American media, Creed, Britney Spears, the lack of ozone layer, and "Are You Hot?". I can deal with higher taxes, smog, and funny accents. I can deal with Jerry Lewis being on TV. Any good TV shows I'm missing can be bought through the Internet on DVD.

Its like this Nailbomb song chorus says: "Throw it away". A good idea until you start thinking of everything you can't live without.

Our continent is fat, and seemingly selfish. And like most people who have everything, we think everyone else should be able to get everything. Lets ram our culture down the entire worlds throat. As if theres no way they could be happy or proud of where they are from and what they have. More often we're making fun of what they don't have then what they have. I envy that they have been able to live without some of the stuff we have here. Ignorance is bliss.

We're renaming them "Freedom Fries"

Disney owns the image of the Mounties. Let's take pride.

We are so lucky to have everything that we have. But we either don't appreciate it or we simply don't have enough time to actually think and realize how lucky we are. Work work work jerk off sleep shower work.

I want to quit. I want to go on a "bullshit strike". but its so hard. its impossible. If Gandhi grew up here I don't think he could do it. We're trapped. Its harder than quitting smoking. Imagine never drinking Coke again. I want a Coke RIGHT NOW. I'm not a hippie, I'm just mad as hell and I'm going to take it forevermore, because I'm trapped.

And I'm pissed off right now because in a way, we have everything, but we don't. Our lives and time are wasted doing the same unfulfilling routine every day so we can go home and have sex and watch the Simpsons. Is it worth it? We have too much shit and never enough time. So little time we have taken for granted everyone we love and everything we should be thankful for. So is it a selfish world or is there just not enough time?

Europe isnt perfect either by any means, hell forget SUVs, they drive hummers there - but I'd fight for Europe. Theres a history there that has been preserved and respected. Or maybe its because the American staples havent completely taken over there yet. If North America's "way" really took over Europe, it wouldn't be the Colisseum, it would be the Pepsi Colisseum, newly renovated! it wouldnt be the Parthenon, it would be the AOL Time/Warner Parthenon. Everyting newer, shinier, and boring. All the logos are slanted to the right now. Maybe its just a matter of time. Maybe its just my taste. I watched the "history of America" part of the movie "Crumb" and I was very sad at how quickly everything changed.

The USA does indeed "rule the world", who cares. Someone always will be number one, you cant hate someone for being number one. But you can hate their attitude about it.

Its the expansion process that has me worried. More American companies overseas, corporate welfare to promote the Pillsbury doughboy in foreign countries, more puppet governments to suit western interests.

Lets keep Americas culture in America please. If you like it, you can have it. Good for you. It does NOT mean whats best for you is best for everyone.

If my family and friends would move with me (I want everyone I love to be near), it would be Norway, right away. Or New Zealand. Somewhere else...

This is not about any country being better than another or Anti-Americanism, its about Over-Americanism. Its too much America. Its Berenstein Bears and Too Much America. Too much of anything is bad for you. Its the McShit factor, its having 9/11 on TV so much that the memory of those poor people in those buildings isn't a tragedy anymore, its part of pop culture. Its iconic. Its a joke. It became an American product. Its ripe for parody. You could show footage of it along with "Bodies" by Drowning Pool playing and people would laugh. 3000 lives cheapened for ratings, votes, and a flag industry. It makes me physically sick. Too much of anything is bad for you.

Why can't I get too much Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, Coltrane, Leadbelly, Hendrix or Bob Dylan instead? Why can't I get too much of the best of America instead of the worst of America? I want Willie Nelson, fuck Toby Keith and his designer cowboy outfit.

The only thing that comforts me is knowing I'm not alone.

Forgive my rant. I had to get it out.

By Nate on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:41 pm:

damn dude, you're such a penis.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:54 pm:

and nate likes penis.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:04 am:

damn tootin'

By Ophelia on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:19 am:

Rowlf, i think a lot of people agree with you. when i say the US is a superpower it is a sobering fact to me. i dont think that the spreading of our culture is a good thing necessarily, but it is a fact. i'm not sure if its good or bad in the long run, but it is happening. i mourn the loss of other cultures that are destroyed by it. sometimes i feel like if enough people refuse to support the system the trends will change, and i try to do what i can, but mostly it just seems so big there is nothing we can do but live our little lives as best we can within the system. anyways, i'm still trying for the time being. i cant really defend my country, but thats the best i can do to explain it.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:36 am:

our culture isn't exactly being spread by force.

it is spread because people want it. people desire it.

we are the richest nation in the history of the world. people want to learn from us and emulate us.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:59 am:

actually rowlf, the fast food joints are slowing down considerably and they are now creating psuedo mexican burrito joints because of the perceived healthier menu. chipoltle grill, baja fresh, green burrito, la salsa. these are all being bought, if not already, by the fast food chains because business at McDonalds and the like is on the slow down.

they still own your mom with hot sauce, they are just wearing a different hat when the stick it to you, her.

By trace on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

i miss green burrito

El Pollo Loco is the best chicken, hands down

By patrick on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

are you nuts?

that shit is garbage just like the rest of them.

fatty soaked garbage.

best chicken?

the best fast food chicken ive ever had is chik fil a.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

are you nuts?

that shit is garbage just like the rest of them.

fatty soaked garbage.

By Antigone on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:27 pm:

Yeah, but chik fil a has jesus on their side.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

notice i said "fast food chicken"

he just said the "best chicken"

if jesus makes waffle fries like chik fil a hail mary bless the virgin of joseph christ almighty i'll go along.

ive been meaning to check out a lions club pancake breakfast. they are having one up the street from me shortly.

i think i may go.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

i'm going to go check out some top ramen and malt liquor.

i po'.

By semillama on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:36 pm:

Lions Club Pancake breakfasts are what America is all about. Take Rowlf with you.

By heather on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

"we are the richest nation in the history of the world."

err...like that would be calculable or provable

people do want it. would i call it culture? that's another matter.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

speak for yourself heather.

im suckin the teat of cultural wealth when i suck down a shamrock shake and biggie fry.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

ok. sorry. clearly im preoccupied.

By Platypus on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

Our Lions do that too. Maybe I should go sometime, just to say I went. I wonder if they have good fruit.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

"our culture isn't exactly being spread by force.

it is spread because people want it. people desire it."

The idea of American competition didnt arrive by force, it was welcomed. Competition is always welcome, but that isnt how it works anymore when a US company wants to come to Canada. The "invading" companies spread by force. A vry very aggressive spread. When a new American chain arrives here, its everywhere overnight. With few exceptions, they never test the waters first, feel out for if it would work, they just go for it and buy out any similar competition and operate out of the bought out companies' former digs.

you should take a look at how Starbucks is doing in Canada. Tim Hortons is whipping its sorry ass. Most Starbucks' are vacant. But they keep coming, and a new one comes up in the neighborhood every year, they're not giving up. You should see it. Its absolutely disgusting. Starbucks is one example where they are clearly here by force. Starbucks is only doing well in Metropolitan areas, and even there it cant top Tim Hortons, or even Second Cup for that matter. Not one of these empty Starbucks' have closed, I imagine if worse comes to worse they will simply buy out Second Cup instead of closing stores... its like Risk. If you have the resources, you take out the other man and spread. This regardless of what people actually want. Thats business, thats how people get ahead.

Krispy Kreme came to the area last year and it did record business the first month. Now its dead. Hype. Tim Hortons wins. But despite the fact that it is now dead, more and more Krispy Kremes are coming... you'd think they'd have seen how the first stores failed?

The WalMart in this city is doing well, but most Walmarts in other cities near here are no busier than Woolco ever was. Woolco, which Walmart bought, did good business, and so did KMart and Zellers - there was a choice and there was competition and better prices. Walmart had more money, bought Woolco, KMart died because of their own bad business practices and now people go to WalMart because its pretty much the only option... Zellers, the only other choice, can't afford to open more stores to keep up, they are losing because of the convenience factor and are struggling to stay in business. The prices, number of services and stock are exactly the same, the only difference is number of stores.

Richer companies put good companies with loyal customers out of business. It happens. HMV is putting Sam the Record Man, MusicWorld and Sunrise out of business, because HMV had more money (UK money this time) and opened more stores. People stopped going the extra 10 miles to Sam's. Especially with these gas prices... Since Sams has been forced to cut back on stores to stay alive (Which wont stop the bleeding because now they are even less convenient), HMV has removed its club cards, revoked its 'no hassle return policy' and raised prices. But in the town, you can either go to WalMart and get the hit cd, or you can go to HMV, or you can drive another 20 miles to the next town to go to Sunrise, which is an infinitely better chain with listening booths, a reputation of having a more knowledgable staff, specials, better selection and lower prices. Convenience plays a factor sometimes over choice. You can't tell me you're paying jacked up prices at the local Kwik Stop or whatever because you think its a better store with better selection?

Sometimes quality will create a monopoly for certain industries. Theres a reason the XFL failed. You don't understand Nate, that just because the formula worked in the US does not mean it will work everywhere else.

Look at sports. NHL teams are leaving Canada, but not because there isnt a demand, its greed, because a corporation from Dallas will give the players higher salaries, and spend more money to win. Choice only goes so far. Football isnt big at all here but theres merchandise everywhere (well actually, theres tonnes of merchandise in the American chains like WalMart, but none in any homegrown sports stores). I don't think these companies are looking close enough. They see it working in the US and assume it will work everywhere... and they aren't getting ahead by playing fair. they just throw money around.

But it doesnt stop companies from trying. Look at Future Shop/Best Buy. Future Shop does big business, but Best Buy bought them out because they are an American chain with more money, and all Future Shops are changing formats to Best Buys' godawful setup. People are pissed off about this. The prices are the same and the stock is the same, but now the logo is different and there are several more locations invading the landscape. You drown in it. Its eye pollution to see so many logos on every road. Media Play will probably never get here becuase Best Buy already took all the good space.

I think this is why most Americans think that every other country wants to be like them, because they visit these places and see all the same logos. Yes, we want some of these things, but you're crazy if you think we had a real choice about it. Ask anyone in any other country about their own rising homegrown companies that have been put out of businees because they were either bought out or couldnt afford to compete. Its everywhere, and Canada is the biggest example because its so close.

If it was all about quality, you'd see more foreign chains succeeding in the US. The reason it doesnt is because the money isnt there to compete. its not always about choice.

The new McDonalds' that come in seem to take away business from other McDonalds, rather than fill a missing void... You'll notice that McDonalds has been actually losing money lately, especially here. Too many locations. In many places, theres a McDonalds inside the Walmart, and another McDonalds IN THE SAME MINI-MALL'S PARKING LOT. You can't tell me this isnt excessive.

"it is spread because people want it. people desire it"

Hell yes theres a desire for a McDonalds in a town of 150 000, theres a desire for Best Buy and WalMart. But I don't know anyone who is proud that there are about 10-15 McDonalds locations in a city this size. I'm not being anti-capitalist here. Big companies succeed and put other companies out of business. Buts its different in the US. In the US its become one big business against another. Fair game. Here its like every time something good starts to rise, it gets kicked in the face by the American company with more money. Squash match. You'd have to live here a while to really see it, and it really hurts a nations pride to know that theres nothing you can do because they already have the money and you dont. You could never win. Trust me, it happens, and we don't like it. Do you know of any major Canadian companies? of course not, because they can never get far enough before being bought out. Instead of coming here to compete, they simply buy out the competition. The next on the chopping block is Mr. Sub, which will be taken over by Subway. No one is convincably better than the other, but Subway has more money. I imagine if Subway ever has any hardships here it will simply buy out Mr. Sub.

Tim Hortons, and only Tim Hortons, has survived all this, its become like the national "We wont let this go" company. And it is better. No American company can compete with it, no matter how much money they throw around. Oh, and beer.

I know I cant just blame the American companies, the Canadian companies can just say "fuck you", but its hard to turn down that cheque, and its hard to not realize that if you do fight, the US money is going to come in and open more stores, either cut your business in half or put you in debt. Then instead of that big cheque theres no money at all...

Good companies should open stores, spread, etc. I welcome quality. if its wanted, come and let us get some. But when more and more stores are opening, taking up space, and the companies arent actually earning more money total, just putting other companies out of business, something is wrong. I want more space and more choice.

Monopoly does not happen out of choice. People do not want one company for everything, and nothing you can say could convince me otherwise.

I like American products. America makes some great shit. I'm just begging for them to allow our own companies to grow, throw us a frickin bone! And I want them to learn that there can be too much of a good thing. Leave our pita restaurants alone! Competition is good for everybody. Can you understand from my examples Nate why we would be frustrated with America? We're all for competition and good products, we just want our own too, because our own were doing just fine before the money came and took that choice away.

I still want a Cracker Barrel here though, and a few more Denny's. Maybe a Roy Rogers too. But only if it comes with those wonderful Tennessee accents and bright smiles.

I love Tennessee. A lot.

By Antigone on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

d00d, are you cutting and pasting, or are you on meth?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:16 pm:

I'm writing a novel. Its called "I don't know when to stop"

By dave. on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:27 pm:

i like it.

walmarts and the like are culture killers. they employ for lower wages which forces the other businesses to cut wages and pretty soon, as businesses close because they can't compete, another walmart pops up to employ the people from the dead retailers and on and on but the difference is that now, the public not only works for walmart, but they have to shop there because they can't afford the other merchants, which forces even more closures and invites even more walmarts. substitute for walmart any titanic chain that comes to mind. this is business unleashed. the stock becomes the real product and everything is a means to raising stock value. sure, they have to meet the customers needs at some level to make it happen. that's the gray area. but all the dollars being squeezed out end up in the hands of an increasingly smaller group of people. i support hard work and innovation and i think those who put forth the effort should be rewarded but within reason. i see unnecessary extremes born from greed and contempt.

By Dougie on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:50 am:

"Tim Hortons, and only Tim Hortons, has survived all this, its become like the national "We wont let this go" company."

Rowlf, I believe Wendy's owns Tim Hortons now.

By eri on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:11 am:

The thing that gets me about places like Wal-Mart or Target is that they do give jobs to those who may not be able to find jobs elsewhere. My cousin for example. She worked at a plumbing company as their receptionist and got fired for being too nice to the plumbers and not bitching them out about getting to the next job every 5 minutes. She wasn't trained on how to interview or anything like that. She got a job at Target and worked there for over a year. Made "national" employee of the month and realized that maybe she just needed to learn more to get a better job. She got her shit together and next thing you know she was offered a job by a major furniture company and has been there for a year and a half, receiving 3 pay raises and the promotion of her choice.

So for her, this crappy store turned out to be a stepping stone for her to learn and get her life together. For her to make the biggest step she has ever taken to being independent and a provider for her daughter. It got her off of welfare.

By semillama on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:45 am:

From the Tim Horton's website:

"In 1995, Tim Hortons merged with Wendy's International, Inc. While Tim Hortons continues to operate as a separate entity, the merger provided a new focus for the expansion of the Tim Hortons concept in the United States. Tim Hortons locations can presently be found in Michigan, New York, Ohio, Kentucky, Maine, and West Virginia. The Canadian operation is 95% franchise owned and operated, and plans in the U.S. call for the same key strategy to be implemented as expansion progresses."

FYI, Wendy's also owns Baja Fresh.

By semillama on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:46 am:

However, Canada will always have the healing power of Bryan Adams.

By patrick on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

what about kmart.

they've been sucking the bankruptcy teat as of late.

all i can say is, i got killer service from the old school mom 7 pop type hardware store this past weekend with infant-safe paint. the old in the paint section man advised my non-handy self in way that didnt make me feel dumb.

i'd be a liar if i said i wasnt a shopper at kmart, target and occasionally at wal mart. the wallet demands it sometimes. they are a nightmare, but sometimes.......

By Rowlf on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

"Rowlf, I believe Wendy's owns Tim Hortons now"

well sem already got to it. The partnership works and I'm for it. It was a good way for Tim Hortons to expand. Wendys gets to be in the same building as Tim Hortons (so you get a coffee shop and a restaurant in teh same place) and Tim Hortons gets some backing to expand in the States. Its not as if Wendys came in and changed Tim Hortons' menu or anything...

Anyways, about WalMart, its the only american retailer that came in here. Their strategy was to get into every spot they could. Someplace like Target could probably never get in here now unless it wants to build completely new buildings...

For the third part of my rant i'd like to talk about American companies who come to Canada and pretend they are Canadian. Its disgusting.

McDonalds, Arby's, Pizza Hut, etc come in here and they add a Maple leaf to their logo, normally where an apostrophe would be or something.. Do they think we really believe that makes us feel better? if anything, it reminds us that we're being 'invaded' ...

Imagine if Tim Hortons expands and they alter their logo in the us to have stars, red white and blue or something like that. Its not cool. Its retarded, simply retarded. Its condescending and wrong.

It reminds me of this time I went to this new fish and chips place. It was called "UK Fish and Chips"... you walk inside and its filled with snapshots of Coronation Street cast members, British flags, those cool old British cars, pics fo the Queen, etc... and then you walk to the counter and the manager and staff are all tiny and Japanese.... It was weird.

I used to work at a WalMart. It blew. Corporate control and policies, being timed at the cash register, being lectured about how many items you can scan in an hour, being watched by more cameras than you could ever believe... if you've ever worked for one of these places, you know it blows, i dont understand why they think people prefer everyone to be bland and boring and fake. WalMart first became known for being the friendly place with the greeter.. now its just enforced friendliness, adn the greeters are probably the most miserable people in the store.

I worked for smaller stores since then with less policies and uniform requirements and such. It is definitely better. I actually became happy to held people find their bullshit dolls and games, and took pride in the work, rather than just suffer through the day...

Its like dave said, it does steamroll. WalMart has so much money but they pay shit. The independent stores that in my life I've worked or interviewed for pay significantly higher.. I was surprised you could earn that much money in retail, this is why you'll often find the better and smarter workers at these independent or smaller chains, because they're smart enough to not put up with the bullshit policies for less money...

of course paying people good money means they have less money to compete with WalMart... which means maybe their job isnt secure...

ever seen the King of the Hill episode where Megalomart forces Strickland to shut down. And Buckley now runs the propane dept at Megalomart? Its so damn true.. its so damn true... there used to be a lot of Home Hardware stores here, but now they've been closing because they can't compete with the big box stores like Home Depot and Building Box. Its funny, because at Home Hardware you get the manly men with the big buirds and sawdust all over themselves and they know everything about anything in the store. But everyone goes to Home Depot where the 16 year olds work, and if you ask which rat trap is best they pick their nose and say "i dunno".. the only thing that might save Home Hardware weird enough is that that little poseur brat raccoon Avril Lavigne wore a Home Hardware shirt on SNL.

this is not progress.

I used to be assistant manager at this moderately new chain called Dollarama. I dont know about where you live, but around here there are SEVERAL dollar store chains, because so many people are making less money they need to buy crappy products from the dollar store instead of good products. The dollar store makes WalMart look like Pier1 Imports. But the dollar chains are doing a lot of business because its filling a need. Its captured the "poor" market. Dollarama is probably the only store here that can compete on any level with WalMart, and its a dollar store. Isnt that incredibly sad?

By Rowlf on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

snowball, not 'steamroll'
    help, not 'held'

gar!

By semillama on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

MMmmm, Tim Horton's. I live in the centerpoint of Wendy's and there are Tim Horton's everywhere.

I haven't been to one in a while, but sometimes folks bring in their donuts to the office.

By wisper on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:43 pm:

if i don't have a slice of their signature coffee cake with a medium english toffee cap once a week , i get all antsy.

they treat their employees like gold too, btw.

By agatha on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 07:06 pm:

That's okay, Rowlf, you didn't say "mom 7 pop."

I could just picture Patrick's finger barely missing the shift key when he typed that. So cute!

By Rowlf on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

I type ridiculously fast and don't spend any time editing.......

By eri on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 09:17 pm:

I've actually never heard of Tom Hortons. I shop at dollar stores out here. Dollar General saves me money on laundry supplies. It may look cheap but it works just as well as Wal-Mart's shit and it lasts 3 times as long. I do compare quality of product vs. what I need before I decide what to buy where. I also go to the dollar stores for my candles. I save a butt load on those too and they last just as long if not longer. I also get tennis shoes for the kids at the dollar store. It's $8 there and they are the exact same quality as Wal-Mart's and we save $12. I dunno. I think I would still buy things cheap if I had the money. It doesn't make sense that I should pay $12 per month for Wal Mart Generic Laundry Detergent, $30 a month for Tide, and $5 a month for Dollar Generals version of Tide. They all work the same on my clothes. I have tried it to see. So why pay more than I have too?

By J on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

I love dollar stores,we have a chain of them here called Greenbacks I always get wrapping paper and cards there.I also love Big Lots and Factory2U,I got one of those cameras that you can take tiny pictures with that I saw at Target for $25.00 for $7.00 at Factory2U.

By eri on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

I buy a lot of clothes at Factory2U. If you hit the clearance racks there you save so fucking much. I got Hayley a couple of MUDD skirts for school and they were only $1.25 each. I just watch their sales and pick up a little when it is on sale. It keeps costs down on clothes and they are all the same stuff that I would get at a department store, just off season. The good thing about your kids getting older is that you can predict what sizes they will be in next season! She keeps the name brand crap that the kids watch for and I pay less than Wal-Mart prices!

By J on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:37 am:

Me too,in fact they had a screaming baby sale not long ago and I wondered if they have them in California,I meant to tell Patrick.

By patrick on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:21 pm:

well the nearest one is in the ass end of town. theres a kmart and target within 3 miles. whats a screaming baby sale? get a discount if your kid is going ape shit? the target is multi-level and they have those special escalators for shopping cats. super cool

By J on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:02 am:

Screaming as in this is too good to be true.

By Czarina on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

I didn't know you could bring your pets to Target.

By patrick on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

they sell pets, why not?

By J on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:39 am:

My Target doesn't sell pet's and it's only one story,I'm getting shafted I think.

By Czarina on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:57 am:

Then you need to bear down firmly on your Target,and demand they erect another story,because its not fair that your pussy cat has to stay home.

By eri on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:17 am:

We just had a new Target Superstore open. It doesn't have pets, and it is only one story. In addition to that it is totally fucking overpriced in comparison to all of the other stores out here. The funny thing is that it's huge parking lot is filled from the front all of the way to the freeway entrance every single day.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:32 am:

wal mart has pets

By Czarina on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:39 am:

mostly sickly looking fish.
    I'm not sure they qualify as pets.
    Pets are supossed to be perky.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:53 am:

food for your healthy pets?

By eri on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:39 pm:

I was at Wal-Mart looking at the fish with the kids once. They had these beautiful huge koi and goldfish. Their flesh was being eaten away by ick and you could see gaping holes in their sides. It was awful. The idiot sales rep wanted to sell them to me. Disgusting. They were totally willing to sell sick fish, knowing how horribly sick they were. It pissed me off. Not that I buy fish there, but still. They also cram so many fish into one small tank that they end up sick and die on you really quickly. I have noticed that PetSmart does the same thing, though.

By Dougie on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:58 pm:

I think those were meant for the live bait section, eri.

The Petco around here lets you take pets in. The first time we took our puppy, she took a dump in the food aisle. The first time we took our puppy to the beach, she raced down to the waterline and took a dump. Moral of the story -- my puppy likes taking dumps. She's bothering me right now to go out as I type this. Presumably to take a dump.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

"she raced down to the waterline and took a dump"

keeping the Long Island coast standard in tact i see.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

PET STORES ARE EVIL.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 07:16 pm:

AS ARE ALL STORES THAT SELL LIVE ANIMALS.

THIS HAS BEEN A COMMERCIAL INTERRUPTION.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 07:39 pm:

oh pipe down ya stinkin hippy.....go eat your cous cous and shaddyup!!!!

By Nate on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:05 pm:

i eat live animals.

By Czarina on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 08:37 am:

Anyone we know?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact