Poindexter's Letter of Resignation

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: Poindexter's Letter of Resignation
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

John M. Poindexter took issue yesterday with critics of his Pentagon efforts to develop new data scanning systems and an online futures market for flushing out terrorists and predicting Middle East developments, saying the programs had fallen victim to ignorance, distortion and Washington's "highly-charged political environment."
    Letter of Resignation

By patrick on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 07:10 pm:

blah blah blah dont let the door hit your ass on the way out you shameful convicted criminal you.

By eri on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:07 pm:

It won't let me read it so I can't make fun of it :(

By Hal on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:16 pm:

Fuck I hate .PDF's.

Photoshop won't read them without putting a transparency behind them, and I'm to lazy to go download acrobat reader.

FU Adobe.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 11:42 pm:

"The national security problem of terrorism, which we sometimes call the asymmetric threat since
    it pits the United States and other friendly countries of the world -- not against another state --
    but against a confederation of terrorist groups who have no national boundaries, began to be a
    problem in the last two decades of the last century. However the consequences of the terrorist
    attacks are rapidly becoming more severe and intolerable as demonstrated by the attacks of 9/11
    and the bombings in Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and elsewhere throughout the world. It is a worldwide
    problem. The attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon brought the war to our
    home; giving us a war on two fronts – at home and abroad. There have been numerous reports
    and commentaries about what went wrong in preventing the government from detecting the
    attack planning and thus stopping the attacks. Some planning and preparation activity took place
    overseas and some took place here in the U.S. This greatly complicates a solution to the problem
    since it involves a better interface between foreign and domestic intelligence organizations of our
    government.
    For good and sufficient reasons, we have kept these organizations separate, but if we are going to
    be successful in the future we must find a way for them to work together within a framework that
    is effective and at the same time preserves the essential character of our republic. More than ha lf
    of the foreign intelligence activities are in the Department of Defense and report to both the
    Secretary of Defense for resources and Director of Central Intelligence for tasking. The DOD
    clearly has a significant foreign intelligence role and it is appropriate that DARPA be involved in
    looking for technology solutions. DARPA is in a position to take a fresh look at the problem
    with no vested bureaucratic interests in coming up with an integrated solution. The technology
    and tools to be developed for the foreign part would be just as applicable to the domestic part;
    however if and when it comes to implementation the foreign intelligence activities of the DOD,
    CIA and others would apply the tools against foreign intelligence data and domestic intelligence
    activities, such as the FBI, would apply them against domestic intelligence in accordance with
    the laws and polices. In no case would DARPA be applying the tools. There are extensive
    Congressional oversight provisions for the foreign and domestic intelligence activities to detect
    any potential abuses."

Remember this:
    DARPA is RESEARCH. It develops TECHNOLOGIES but does not DEPLOY or EMPLOY them.
    When the end user gets the new technologies, it will be subject to all laws that are in place at the time.

By patrick on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

Remember this:

John Poindexter is a convicted federal criminal. He abused his federal authority in one of the highest regards...military and otherwise.

His ass should be in fucking jail. He's not because a beaurocratic loop hole.

Fuck him.

Convicted felons don't have the right to vote, muchless head a federal agency that involves federal security.

By spunky on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

remind me of what he is convicted of, because I have no clue what you are referring to

By spunky on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

Besides that valid point if true, his words
    "Some planning and preparation activity took place overseas and some took place here in the U.S. This greatly complicates a solution to the problem since it involves a better interface between foreign and domestic intelligence organizations of our government.
    For good and sufficient reasons, we have kept these organizations separate, but if we are going to be successful in the future we must find a way for them to work together within a framework that
    is effective and at the same time preserves the essential character of our republic."

That would closely mimic what I said a few days ago about CIA being international and FBI being domestic, planners started overseas and finished the work here, so there was an inherent and valid disconnect between the two services.

It was a federal crime for the CIA to get involved in domestic issues prior to 9/11.
    The CIA agent would go to the fed pen if he was caught investigating something occuring in country.

By Antigone on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

spunk, we all know you can google

By patrick on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

Jesus christ spunk, wake up! how could you not know this!? Iran Contra? Olly North? Its been a flash point every since Poindexter was fingered by the Bush adminstration after 9/11.

On March 16, 1988, Poindexter was indicted on seven felony charges arising from his involvement in the Iran/contra affair, as part of a 23-count multi-defendant indictment. He was named with North, retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Richard V. Secord and Albert Hakim as a member of the conspiracy to defraud the United States Government by effecting the Iran/contra diversion and other acts.

After the cases were severed and two of the original charges dismissed, Poindexter was tried and convicted in April 1990 of five felonies, including: one count of conspiring to obstruct official inquiries and proceedings, two counts of obstructing Congress, and two counts of false statements to Congress.1 U.S. District Judge Harold H. Greene sentenced him to a six-month prison term. In November 1991, Poindexter's convictions were overturned on appeal. In December 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review the case.

"Poindexter admitted to many of his activities before the Select Committees in July 1987 under a grant of testimonial immunity, which prevented his admissions from being used against him in any criminal proceeding. Because President Reagan did not testify in that forum, Poindexter was called to answer the question that dominated the hearings: Did the President know about and approve the diversion of the Iran arms sales proceeds to the contras? Poindexter answered no, ``the buck stops here with me.''

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in a 2-1 decision on November 15, 1991, reversed Poindexter's convictions on the grounds that his trial was impermissibly tainted by his immunized congressional testimony.

The appeals panel ruled that a defendant's lying to Congress does not constitute obstruction unless the defendant corruptly influences someone else to do so. Again, Chief Judge Mikva dissented, finding it ``obvious . . . that Poindexter 'corruptly' obstructed the congressional investigation when he lied to Congress.

derived from here.

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/walsh/chap_03.htm

By Antigone on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:37 pm:

John M. Poindexter -- Indicted March 16, 1988, on seven felony charges. After standing trial on five charges, Poindexter was found guilty April 7, 1990, on all counts: conspiracy (obstruction of inquiries and proceedings, false statements, falsification, destruction and removal of documents); two counts of obstruction of Congress and two counts of false statements. U.S. District Judge Harold H. Greene sentenced Poindexter June 11, 1990, to six months in prison on each count, to be served concurrently. A three-judge appeals panel on November 15, 1991, reversed the convictions on the ground that Poindexter's immunized testimony may have influenced the trial testimony of witnesses. The Supreme Court on December 7, 1992, declined to review the case. In 1993, the indictment was dismissed on the motion of Independent Counsel.

By semillama on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:16 pm:

All hail cronyism!

Did you see how rumsfeld had talks last year with the Iranian middle man in the Arms-for-Hostages deal?

By spunky on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

patrick, it was overturned, so technically he is not a felon.
    Not that that makes what he did go away, but legally he is not a felon.
    You got a hard-on when you wrote that didn't you?

By patrick on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:39 pm:

its old news.

so no.

no woodie.

i know *technically* he's not a felon.

*technically* OJ is not a murderer.

By spunky on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:41 pm:

touche

By Antigone on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

*technically* Clinton did not lie under oath

By semillama on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:54 pm:

*technically* that monkey can't be called as a witness, so I should be safe.

By spunky on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:11 pm:

Can you say Bull Shit?
    "Saudi officials say they only became aware of the terrorist cells during a crackdown with more than 15 raids after the May 12 suicide bombings in the Saudi capital."

Yeah. Sure.

By Commander Chocks on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

I still wish I knew the symbols for those futures contracts.

like assassinations,hijackings, whatever. . .

By Need to Know for SURE on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

Is Noriega still in the same crappy prison that John Gotti died from cancer in?

By Need to Know for SURE on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

Is Noriega still in the same crappy prison that John Gotti died from cancer in?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact