Mental note to self...

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: Mental note to self...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 02:14 pm:

Never answer any reporters questions at work. Otherwise you get hassled into a photo that appears, not only on page two of the paper you work for, but on the internet as well.

Goddamit.

By eri on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 02:26 pm:

I know what you mean. I conveniently lost the pics of the plays I was in so that it wouldn't end up on their website.

By J on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 02:28 pm:

Hey moonit,I toast you every time I drink a Steinlager,that is one fine beer:) Hey I wanna see your picture in the paper,I think that's so cool.

By TBone on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

Hey everyone! Today only, Free Ice Cream!

I was on the news a while back stammering about whatever dumb question they were asking that perticular day. It wasn't good.

By semillama on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 03:36 pm:

I'll most likely be on the news this spring, talking about digging up the trash and buildings of celibate nineteenth-century religious types.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 03:45 pm:

did celibate 19th century types make a lot of trash or interesting bldgs as opposed to their slutty counterparts?

By wisper on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 11:11 pm:

fucking fuck i missed ice cream.

I was on the news when my family was in a boat accident years ago. I was also one of those "people on the street" oppinions during a talk show.

What was the question, moonit??

By semillama on Thursday, March 3, 2005 - 10:20 am:

the buildings are interesting. The trash could be surprising.

It's a Shaker village site, so it's a great oppurtunity to test how rigidly they adhered to their concepts of order and restraint.

By moonit on Thursday, March 3, 2005 - 01:52 pm:

It's all about how the housing market is really hard to get into now because house prices are rocketing. Ten years ago, I could of bought a house in the area I live in now for about 80-90K - now its 150-200K and we live in a shitty part of town.

I just had all my hair cut off. The Pandyr is going to kill me.

By Spider on Thursday, March 3, 2005 - 05:43 pm:

Moonit, do you feel free?

My hair is now down to the small of my back, and I'm dying to cut it all off, and I'm also dying to grow it down to my knees. What to do?

By patrick on Thursday, March 3, 2005 - 06:23 pm:

there you are...

By Platypus on Thursday, March 3, 2005 - 07:21 pm:

I just had my hair trimmed for the first time in about eight years, and it was very terrifying, and liberating. I didn't do anything drastic with it, understand, just...trimming. And it was a great goodness. It's much happier hair now.

Spider, we miss you. And grow it to your knees. You can always hack it off later if you want to.

By lapis on Thursday, March 3, 2005 - 08:05 pm:

because the longer it is initially, the more fun the hacking.

By patrick on Thursday, March 3, 2005 - 08:28 pm:

my hair is the longest its been since I was in highschool.

By semillama on Friday, March 4, 2005 - 10:20 am:

spider! you need to tell me how lame I am for not writing you.

By TBone on Friday, March 4, 2005 - 11:59 am:

In high school my hair was down to my shoulders. People told me I looked like Tom Petty. After I cut it off, people who had never seen me with long hair told me I sounded like Tom Petty.

By semillama on Friday, March 4, 2005 - 04:22 pm:

I had hair down past my shoulders up to right after I graduated from college.

By eri on Friday, March 4, 2005 - 04:32 pm:

Growing up my mother didn't know how to deal with my thick curly hair, so I always had to wear it extra short, so when I was out of under my mothers thumb I grew it out. Had it almost down to my waist when I cut it off. I haven't successfully been able to grow it out like that since. So now half of my hair is shaved (in the back) and the rest hangs down to my shoulders (curly) or just behind my shoulders if it is straight. My goal is to get it down to my waist again, though.

By Spider on Friday, March 4, 2005 - 06:31 pm:

Sem, you are SO LAME for not writing me. God!

Things are going fairly well for me. I am exhausted right now from school, but I have a restful weekend ahead of me.

One exiting thing I've done recently is camp in the Black Hills of South Dakota (last month...I ended up getting sick again there, and I'm sure the temp. getting down to 18 degrees by the morning didn't help any) and hike Bear Butte, a very sacred area for many of the Plains Indians tribes. I hiked to the top with a fever. It was very frightening because the very narrow trails had ice on them, and if you slip, you fall right off the side of the butte. And it snowed on the descent. But it was very moving and serene up there. From the summit, you could see all the way to the curve of the horizon. It was wonderful.

Before that, we had a retreat in Spokane, and we had to travel from Billings to Spokane and back via Greyhound. Our bus left Billings at 1 in the morning, and I got to eavesdrop on the most educational conversation between a veteran trucker and a 46-year-old junkie on the way to rehab. I'm serious, it was fascinating. They talked about *everything*, and I felt priviledged to be able to hear a kind of conversation in which I could never take part. It was awesome.

I'm applying for a second year in JVC....I might live in Portland or the wilds of Alaska next year, depending on where they send me.

Write me!

By Spider on Friday, March 4, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

Oh, and I think I'll cut my hair right before I leave here in July. I'm dying to cut it really short and dye it blue-black, like in that Garnier Nutrisse commercial. That is one awesome hair color.

Oh, and my best friend Rainey is getting married in June and I'm going to be a bridesmaid, so I wanted to keep my long hair for the wedding.

By Antigone on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 12:34 am:

Greyhound provides the greatest of educations. That's why, even though I haven't been on a bus trip in over ten years, I was a bit sad today when I heard that they were pulling out of Dallas soon.

By MAPKA on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:33 pm:

Dose any one ever look at some of the old trends ??? and also some of them are from 1998... that was like 8 years ago....

Just woundering... :P

By MAPKA-Mark on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:42 pm:

I also noticed that the menu had the month, day, and time it was posted but what about the year soo people dont have ta look through all of them too find the latest post couse 90% of em are started in 1998...

its nice ta look through some of the old ones...
    but would be nice ta know where the new ones are too :P

thanx.

By D on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 11:23 pm:

MAPKA-Mark, what happens before 1998? Mark Thomas did started Sorabji in 1994. ?

By sarah on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 12:26 pm:

April 18, 2011

Toshiba
    Consumer Electronics Division
    P.O. Box 3900
    Peoria, IL 61612-3900

Re: Toshiba LCD-TV
    Model # 40RF350U
    Serial # AM384010829

To whom it may concern,

In January 2008 my husband and I paid $1,575.75 for the above referenced television at A&B TV in Austin, Texas. After a year the LCD display started giving us problems. About 1/4 of the screen on the left had a line through it and that portion of the display was lighter than the rest of the screen. A few months later the same thing line and color distortion appeared in equal proportions on the right side of the screen.
    A few months later the entire left half of the display would flicker off and on for about 5-10 minutes when the TV was first turned on, then the picture would come in again. However, the lines and distorted color panels on the right and left side remained.

Since the beginning of 2011, when the TV initially was turned on, it displayed vertical rainbow colored lines which cover the left side of the display (see photo enclosed). For a few weeks those lines eventually flickered off and on, and then would disappear after the TV had been on for 5-10 minutes. However, as of late March the vertical rainbow lines will not go away at all and the TV is unwatchable. We have asked every electronic service person who has come to the house if it can be fixed, and nobody has been able to help. We called Toshiba customer service about these problems and have a documented account open under telephone #512-XXX-XXXX. Every time we called, Toshiba said that there were no known issues. We have taken the TV to several authorized TV repair shops, and we were told that the only way to fix the problem is to replace the LCD panel. This would cost us more than it would cost to purchase a brand new TV.

In addition to a photo of the problem we currently are experiencing, I also have enclosed reviews of the exact same model TV, which are published at Amazon.com – a reputable retailer of Toshiba products. As you can see, at least 20 other consumers have documented experiencing the exact same problem as we are experiencing. Furthermore, Toshiba recognizes this problem with the 46” version of the exact same TV, but will not acknowledge the problem in the 40” version.

I understand that our TV is outside of the warranty window. However, I’m sure you would agree that when you spend $1,500+ for an electronic product, anyone would expect it to last more than a year, and even more than three years.

Because this problem not only is due to faulty mechanics in the television, but also a documented recurring problem for other consumers, I request that Toshiba pay the cost to have the LCD panel in our TV replaced. If that is not possible then I request that Toshiba replace our entire television with a new one free of charge.

If Toshiba agrees to do so, I will continue to hold the company in high regard; I would continue to purchase and recommend Toshiba products.

However, if Toshiba does not agree to repair or replace the TV free of charge, I will state for the record that I would rather shit razorblades and then administer myself a lemon juice enema than have to pay Toshiba another dime for any product ever again.

If you do not fix or replace the above mentioned television, I will file fraud charges against Toshiba with the Better Business Bureau, and I will file a law suit against Toshiba. I will not tolerate any further denial of responsibility.

How would you like to proceed? Please respond in writing to the following:

Sincerely,

me

By Karla on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 05:44 pm:

Damn straight. Motherfuckers.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 11:55 pm:

Yeah!

Also this letter is a clear sign of all the newfound time i have
    on my hands. Otherwise i would have chucked the stupid
    thing in a random dumpster.

Turns out Not having a tv is kinda cool. I forgot how quiet it
    is.

By semillama on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 01:22 pm:

Did you really include the bit about shitting razors?

By sarah on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 03:25 pm:

Yes. I'm surprised you even asked.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 11:44 am:

Sorry about that Sarah.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 01:32 am:

Oh, Peoria is about 2 and ¼ hours from here. And I never liked it there, but visiting the Antique or flea market has the most valuable items that you won't find it anywhere!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact