a clown-to-be

sorabji.com: Who are you?: a clown-to-be
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By pez on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

i've been working with an anarchist clown band called pepto dizmal. (if you look at the site there is one picture with my face) i play with the kid (chlorine and dingo have a four-year-old who doesn't know that running around flailing her arms and screaming is exercise) and wear a monkey suit and get in fights. and play flute as well.

last night we were filming for the 48-hour movie "making-of" documentary and then for a video slam to be screened on the 17th. i'm not going to tell the details of the video slam but there were tons of bikes, clowns and kids shouting "bike riot!"and it was fun to do.

i'm in the process of learning how to twirl a baton again. eventually my part of the act will be to twirl a baton lit on both ends, possibly a flaming flag as well. we'll see.

By eri on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 03:37 pm:

I don't think I found you in any of the pics, but this sounds like fun!

By Nate on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

if you go to the bottom, there is a picture of some people and under one it says "PEZ (The Monkey)"

just a hunch..i bet that's her.

By Nate on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

hey pez, what ever happened with that guy who makes those bizarre portraits?

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 04:58 pm:

Gee, not ANOTHER anarchist clown band...

By patrick on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 05:10 pm:

We have this guy that performs around town as a guest MC...Fucko the Clown. Mildly amusing.

Too often it becomes more about the act than the music and its too easy to loose the point in a weird purgatory between music and entertainment.

I saw a band like that recently...too busy with the show they forgot to make decent music. I left.

By pez on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 06:44 pm:

it's not really about the music, although there are some cool songs.

but there's other groups that have split off the main band in florida, texas and eugene.

bizzare portraits? oh, ed? i still go to lifedrawing sometimes, but i'm getting more involved with the band and there's alot going on during the summer so i haven't been seeing him much.

By Nate on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 10:43 pm:

yeah, ed. is that you then?

By Hal on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 11:20 pm:

Clowns scare me.

By pez on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 04:04 am:

haha.

yes, that's me.

i was afraid at first but it's a lot of fun. besides, it's a good way to meet cute guys.

By Dougie on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 08:31 am:

I'm with Hal.

By Antigone on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 02:26 pm:

I'm with Hal's clown.

By pez on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 04:49 pm:

c'mon, let's go scare hal out of his sorry state.

By TBone on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 05:02 pm:

I can dig it.

We'll wait until he's been asleep for a while, run in wearing clown costumes, slightly distorted carnival music blaring, and throw him stark naked from his second-story window into a bucket of water. We can then strap him to a large wheel and spin him around while throwing knives. We'll put him in the trunk of his bug and all 20 of us will pile in and take him for joyride. Then we buy him a chocolate icecream cone and give him a clown nose to wear.

Then he'll know that he is loved.

By Antigone on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 05:05 pm:

I'm in as long as we force feed him his own nose hair.

By Hal on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 01:13 am:

well...

To add to it all.... (posted here because I'm too lazy.... I'm too tired.... and I just don't give a damn anymore to search for the thread....) got fired today.... again....

FUCK *explative*

By Hal on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 01:20 am:

I think I'm going for a walk....

again...

FUCK!

By pez on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 03:03 am:

oh, hal...

montana sounds bad for you. come to portland. you can stay at my place.

By LoneStranger on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

Hrm. They have a ways to go to convince me they are better than the Insane Clown Posse.

Kiss the Clown.

LS

P.S. I'm coming to Portland in December for a wedding. I'll only be there for two and a half days.

By pez on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 02:44 pm:

we should meet for coffee or something.

By Nate on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

By LoneStranger on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

That would be awesome. We'll have to see if we can fit that in.

I am the Best Man at the wedding, so I might be busy. Not sure. Never been a best man before.

There are probably things I should be taking care of.

We'll see.

LS

By Fester on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 05:54 pm:

Do prepare a speech best man.

By LoneStranger on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 06:11 pm:

Yes, I was thinking about that. I hate public speaking, though.

I'll have to come up with some good stuff.

LS

By Hal on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 08:24 am:

Pez.... Darlin....

If I can get a job in portland, I might very well take you up on that offer. I think this state, has given me all that it can.

By pez on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 03:40 pm:

you should.

portland is a nice city. two rivers, seven bridges, countless coffee shops. and unemployment's gone down in the last nine months. (as usual, my facts are not based on statistics but my own skewed observations... unemployment check days are no longer the busiest days at the store)

and where else can you live within a mile of a superfund site?

By TBone on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

Butte, Montana.

Biggest Superfund site.

Biggest man-made hole in the world.

By Nate on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 05:56 pm:

doesn't portland have more tittie bars per capita than anywhere else in the US of A?

'superfund' sounds like it should be a good thing. superman -- good thing. superfriends -- good thing. super-bluegreen-algae -- good thing.

By TBone on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 06:07 pm:

I think they used that term so it doesn't sound so bad. "Disaster Zone" would get more people's attention.

By Hal on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 08:03 pm:

Yeah because eventually the pit in butte is going to overflow and then the people there are going to have to walk around in nasty toxic shit.

Or not....

Life, is a percarious balance.

By patrick on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:03 pm:

what the fuck is a superfund?

Portland seems depressing, overflowing with junkies, crustys and always wet.

but what do i know.

By pez on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

it hasn't rained in weeks; my webs are cracking.

haHA!

i've heard something to the effect that portland is the titty-bar capital of the west... don't take my word for it, not always the best idea.

portland is lush and green, bicycles and basement shows and the library. cemetaries and parks and coffee shops (but not starbucks!) and punks drunken drinking at basement shows. like just about any other town.

depressing if you hate rain, sure, but i love it.

and the last time i saw a "stereotypical" junkie i was out in gresham. i think you see more of them if you're downtown at night. which most people aren't.

By TBone on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

I think I'd dig living in Portland. I liked it when I was there briefly.

It's high on my list of places to go live when I gradutate. Only about 50% of those are in the U.S.
    It would likely be less, but I haven't travelled much outside the States yet.

By Platypus on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

By patrick on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:44 pm:

what an odd name for such a program.

By Hal on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 02:14 am:

I'm bored.... Tired.... Jobless.... and in a funk....

I think I'm going to go wander the streets again.

By agatha on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 08:49 am:

Portland rocks, Patrick. You'd probably actually dig it. The thing about Portland is that it's kind of hard to find the interesting places to go if you're unfamiliar with the area, I went there several times before I discovered a few happening neighborhoods. The city layout is a little odd, but it's beautiful and people are nice and there's enough culture to keep most people satisfied.

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 09:38 am:

Yeah, what rocks especially about Portland are those Maine loobsters. Actually, today would be a good day to skip Portland. Saw on the news this morning that it's supposed to get up to 105-110 there. That's almost hot enough to cook said Maine loobsters.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 11:29 am:

granted ive never been there but it looks and smells like Raleigh to me.that is, a medium sized city with an incestuous scene. where every one has slept with everyone else and everyone knows what everyone else is doing, because they are either at one of two coffee shops, 1 of 3 record stores, 2 of 4 decent bars and everyone is just up in everyone's business whether they like it or not. you can't help it, because it doesnt even have a million people and a sleepy downtown.

I have friends from Raleigh who now live in Portland and say its exactly like Raleigh and are looking to get out subsequently.

But again, this is without visiting.

Id like to someday though. Creepy clown shows aside.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:19 pm:

I liked Portland when I visited. Lots of good
    places to eat, friendly people, good music
    shops, and Powell's. Plus there are very nice
    parks. It seems like a nicer place than many
    other cities I have been in, including
    Columbus. Easier to get around in than St.
    Paul or Boston, for sure. Way nicer than
    Detroit. Probably nicer than Savannah and
    New Orleans. Drier and sunnier than Seattle.

You could do a whole lot worse than Portland.

By pez on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

that is so wrong, patrick.... unless, that is, you're talking about the hipster set.

i still find "the zinesters' guide to portland" useful.

portland started out as a few different towns in various areas which helps to explain a bunch. but there's nearly always a park within walking distance.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

well i dunno.

in terms of raleigh, it was the punker clics. my friends who live in portland are punkerfucks.

but i'll stop speculating now.

By pez on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 03:00 am:

there is a wide variety of punk-and-indie-types here. emo, crusties, bike, zine, goth, street... the other day i met a reformed crusty, now that was interesting (he had the patches and jewelry and the butt-flap... but was clean. wow) cliqueish, yes. but is any group any different?

though variety is the spice of life, once you find exactly what you want mostly you stick with it. and as far as a city its size goes, portland has a lot to offer a leftish arty schmoe. first thursday and last thursday, critical mass, four days of food not bombs every week, plenty of galleries and basement shows, parades and festivals. the gracie's residue, charm bracelet and sito headquarters.

but damn it's hot. it's been in the hundreds this week. and i've been biking and stretching in jeans.

but tomorrow, tomorrow i get my baton.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 11:33 am:

not that im old pez but.... (im trying to phrase this correctly as possible)

i've done all that.

critical mass can suck my ass first and foremost. This is for many reasons which ive stated on this site many times. if you want to know why, ill state em again.

food not bombs, while a noble idea always seems to end in trouble. i don't think i can recall any of the few gatherings i did in raleigh that didnt end in violence. in brooklyn recently, walking through a park with my friend, he reiterated the same when they have food not bombs gatherings there, saying the last time, the oranges became weapons.

basement shows while fun, i've had my fill of basement punk rock. the majority of basement punk rock is bad music altogether, again, its a youth thing, i think. in hindsight though, its more about the event that the music, perhaps.

im an expectant father, i can't necessarily comprehend taking my pregnant wife or infant child to a moldy, musty basement with smelly crusties and loud bad music. too often its a volatile environment.

in other words, ive been there, done that, remember it all fondly...i saw some great bands in basement shows but im in a different galaxy now pez.

Im so glad to hear you experiencing all of these things though...a year or two ago i admit i didnt have much hope that you'd survive the assault your family was putting on you.

gracies sounds like a great thing i could dig though.

hope this doesnt make me sound old or narrowminded. in hindsight it all seems like an eternity ago for me. ive done so much since, rapidly it seems, sometimes i feel older than i really am.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 11:55 am:

I think Patrick can expect his official "old fart"
    certificate in teh mail any time now.

(grin)

By patrick on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 12:09 pm:

it feels that way sometimes brother.

pretty soon we can gather around the ole lemon tree for stories.

By J on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

I'm an old fart and I have a lemon tree,we could squeeze them:)

By J on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

Speaking of clowns which are supposed to be funny,anyone ever hear of Robert Schimmel? I saw him on a H.B.O. comedy speacial and he had me in tears I was laughing so hard.I'm putting his page up,but it's his cleaner stuff,his C.D.'s are raunchy and hilarious.There are some sound clips at Barnes and Noble.http://www.robertschimmel.com/ Go to r u curious and read everything,I'm going to see him in Oct.

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 04:18 pm:

I was asked by my boyfriend's roommate if I had 'ever heard of that band called X' last weekend. Boy did I feel like the old woman of punk rock thinking "Well how could he know? He was only a few years old <5, when they were around."

I was gonna make him a tape but then I busted my stereo.

Now that was punk.

By kazoointoit on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 11:00 pm:

Wow. Robert Schimmel, twice in one day. It must mean something.

J, That's a pretty cool site. He's in town this weekend. One of the free papers around here (The Weekly Dig) has an article where he talks seriously about cancer and the importance of humor and dealing with anxiety and all that; it is quite touching actually. Apparently his son died a few years ago of cancer too.

By J on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 11:41 am:

Yes I think his son was 11 when he passed away and yes it must mean something...go see him,seriously he's right up there with Lenny Bruce. After I saw his H.B.O. show I looked up his web page and just sent him a e-mail and told him he rocks,he personaly answered my e-mail and say's he collects books and games for cancer patients at his shows. It was after that when I read his bio that I saw he lives in my neck of the woods. I think the world of him.

By pez on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 02:46 am:

back to the topic ^ i got a baton today.

that is all i have to say.

By Hal on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:03 am:

You got a baton and you want me to move there.....

I'm scared.

By pez on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

it's sparkly.

besides, didn't i scare you before?

By TBone on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

What's scary about a sparkly baton?

Clows - scary
    Batons - not scary

By Nate on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 05:28 pm:

how about half an inch of baton protruding from your swolen anus, tbone? is that scary? IS IT MOTHERFUCKER?

By semillama on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 10:47 pm:

not as scary as a half mile of Baton Rouge
    protruding from your anus.

By pez on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 03:26 am:

particularly during the summer.

*please note that most of oregon is well above sea level*

By Hal on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 06:42 am:

in Baton I can only wager to imagine something of a police officer's night stick....

So, the thought of clowns with beating sticks, kinda makes me a little nervous.... And no Pez, I'm not scared of you, despite the obvious height advantage you have if we were to nekki jello wrestle.

By pez on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

dangit.

but the baton is sparkly, with orange tips. can you imagine police officers waving those? i would laugh.

By Nate on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:13 pm:

take pictures.

i think it's a twirling baton, not a drunk-control baton, hal.

By pez on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

nate, yer so smaaart.

By agatha on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

pez, how was the zine symposium? i really wanted to go, but i was totally broke at the time. what else is new...

By pez on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:04 pm:

not much.

i'm trying to put together the zine symposium zine, but it's slow going. with clowns and filming and writing to do.

with the zine symposium zine, i have three in the works. typewriters and reviews fill my dreams.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact