I'm not who you think I am

sorabji.com: Who are you?: I'm not who you think I am
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Katie on Wednesday, February 18, 1998 - 09:47 pm:
    I'm this girl who thinks for herself-

I'm stubborn
    I'm athletic
    I'm smart
    I'm silent on the outside
    I'm loud on the inside
    I'm depressed
    I'm happy

Most of all......I'm independent.

By The Venatrix Mirjen on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 10:53 pm:
    I'm hesitant to post a new line of messages...so I'll stick my bit in here. Plus, underneath the word independent spelt correctly!

Venatrix = Huntress (Latin)
    Mirjen = It's a contraction of sorts of two words 1. Mirabilis (latin for weird or strange) and
    2. Jen. (self-explanatory)

I'm the leader of SETH. Website coming soon. Fastest explanation is atheistic straight-edgers.
    I hate my ability to read people...but I guess that's what happens when one is so outside of society...you start to see it for what it really is. See people for who they really are. It's disturbing sometimes.

I'm brutally honest. People hate me for that, and yet they say that being honest is something we ought to aim for. I can't bring myself to lie except to save myself. I turn people into the police for drug offenses, for darkness' sake.

I like Anton LaVey's philosophies, for the most part. I'm willing to take crap for that, too. I get a lot of negative reaction to who I am and what I adhere to. I may be an atheist, a Satanist if you will, but I'm the purest of my peers.

I'm devoted to particular things. It's better to know than to believe in things. I like justice. Brutal justice, like brutal honesty.

But one word against the establishment, against the norms, and you'd think I'm a depraved sick freak. Well...you don't know me very well.

By Puzzled on Sunday, March 29, 1998 - 12:04 am:
    Uh....Thanks for that. I guess?

By Chantrelle on Sunday, March 29, 1998 - 07:31 pm:
    You sound pretty much like I had pictured you, except taller.

By An Onion from Holden on Sunday, March 29, 1998 - 09:48 pm:
    There is great peer pressure for non-conformity. Everyone's been rebelling forever-almost no one identifies theirselves with The Establishment. If you don't succumb to the pressure to define yourself as outside Society, you just don't fit in!

By Venatrix Mirjen on Wednesday, April 1, 1998 - 07:49 pm:
    Um, actually, I'm five feet tall and at my age, no chance of growing.

And I'm not defining myself outside of society. I got thrown out. And that whole 'define yourself outside of the norm' thing left with '95 or '96 or something. The new thing is to be a 'nice' person on the outside and bad-mouth people who aren't.

By Dave on Wednesday, April 1, 1998 - 08:39 pm:
    You're like the Bill Gates of egos. Can I have some of yours? I could really use it and you seem to have way way way too much.

By Venatrix Mirjen on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 05:37 pm:
    My ego is for sale at the price of one soul European* per ten kilograms. After payment is recieved the ego will be sent to you via a chaos vortex which you will be responsible for opening on your side within one week of shipment. Thank you for dealing with SETH.

*one soul Eu. = apprx. 2.5 soul Am.

By Dave on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 06:52 pm:
    Yeah, right. I like the soul conversion thing. That's funny. You sound like you'd get along nicely with these people. Then again, one might think Christians, Muslims, and Jews would get along nicely.

By Venatrix Mirjen on Saturday, April 4, 1998 - 08:51 pm:
    I've already been referred by someone else something like me to that lovely place. Thanks, though. Haven't been there in a while, ought to go and visit.

By Eyeball on Saturday, May 9, 1998 - 08:01 pm:
    You're even younger than I thought.

By Venatrix Mirjen on Monday, May 11, 1998 - 06:39 pm:
    Me?
    So little you are knowing -
    who are you to ask an avatar of Nyarlathotep?

By Blindswine on Monday, May 11, 1998 - 07:24 pm:
    boo.

pretty fucking scary, huh?

so which is it... consumed by your own emptiness...
    or just self-absorped?

and what's this i read about one european soul being worth 2.5 american? i'm not even gonna ask how asian and african souls rate in your little book...

pffft... whatever. i don't even want to fuck with you.

you sound like a pain in the ass.

By Nate on Monday, May 11, 1998 - 07:49 pm:
    You wanna see a pain in the ass? I send you a picture when I get my camera.

Huntress lady - Nyarlathotep IS an avatar.

Dark souls are funny. They just don't get it.

"It's better to know than to believe in things" Bad call. There is nothing you can "know". Everything you think you understand is bady perversed by your perception. You can get beyond that, but your attitude implies that you have not.

Absence of perception = absence of self = joy & light. Darkness and this somber godless attitude is a clear indication of over realiance on your perceptions.

I know. I used to be there. Believe me, the forces of light are backed by something much grander than the ignorance of humanity's limits.

By Venatrix Mirjen on Thursday, May 14, 1998 - 07:05 pm:
    My last post, in case anyone was wondering, was sarcastic. (as well as caustic?)
    My soul joke before was not meant as a racist comment at all, although Blindswine seems to have twisted my remark into that. It was just said to be funny, and the units I used were chosen because I had read an article on the EU's currency a while before it was written and I have so little respect for the general American public.

I rely on my perception because it seems to help in the real world. Idealism, and the selflessness of nihilistic ideologies is just that: Ideal. It can't possibly work. At the same time I know humanity has limits. Technology has limits. Knowledge may have limits -- it will in my lifetime, in all ours. We'll never come to a compleat understanding of everything. It's not worth trying that. It's worth trying to understand what we can. Why we are who we are, what causes such-and-such to happen, how something happens. These are the goals of the sciences. Who we are is also a valid point.
    Humans can't have absence of perception. It's not possible without...'escaping our humanity'. And I don't want to do that. I am a human. I recognize myself as a human animal. I don't try to think of myself as beyond human needs or wants because self-sacrifice isn't something I can do totally and retain my humanity and my being which has a survival instinct imprinted in its core.
    I'm really not a bad person. I'm not as limited as I seem here and through your ---could it be? Perceptions?---
    but it's damn well not worth my time.

By HEFTEFOLTOS on Friday, May 15, 1998 - 05:33 pm:
    virtual type-written lands...
    they filter out the real people parts
    sensitive and insecure who bother checking
    spelling set by one guy with a printing press not by
    birth or vote you write the sounds you speak that's what
    writing our way is and standards make the land more sterile
    what's more I told some what would seem to them to make me
    much less strong unknown to them that what was truth was just a
    kernel of the corn now they don't know I'm now no less but more secure
    because I'M STILL ME AND I KNOW WHAT I CAN DO. How about you?
    sometimes it's better taking lumps that don't hurt waiting for the moment than
    to rabble in self righteous true or not self righteous rabble can't even prove it wasn't a mistake??????OH GOD NOT A MISTAKE//////////////////??????????/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Lucy Phurre on Friday, December 11, 1998 - 08:04 pm:

I'm sorry, I could not remain silent on this issue.

The one thing that I object to in your behavior, Ms. Mirajen, and would like you to think about is the fact that turning people over to the cops for drug offenses is flat - out wrong.
    Drug addicts are hurting no one but themselves. The system of criminalizing drug use makes drugs a source of unnecessary violence and expense.

There are only three reasons to outlaw drugs:
    1. An attempt to enforce Christian values on the rest of us.
    2. As an excuse to persecute dissidents, minorities, and the poor.
    3. In the case of hemp, because the plant itself would make many very wealthy corporate interests obsolete if used.

The only argument for criminalizing drugs is that it is "for their own good"
    Firstly, this would better be served by treating drugs as a public health problem.

Secondly, Al-Anon and related drug-treatment programs always remind friends and family of drug addicts of the three C's:

You didn't Cause it
    You can't Cure it
    You can't Change it
    (Of course, in some cases, the US government did contribute to drug addiction, but that's another issue for another thread)
    Forceful intervention in drug addiction is not the job of the addict's family and friends, let alone the government.

The system of making drugs illegal is totally wrong.
    It causes thousands of deaths and costs billions of dollars each year.
    It costs a hell of a lot more than treating addicts would.
    When you turn people in for drug posession, you are helping the U.S. government to perpetuate a wrong system.

If you want a philosophical argument that makes sense to you, here is the beginning of one and where you can find more:
    You read LeVey, now try the real stuff; read Crowley.
    "The word of sin is restriction"
    --Liber AL I,41
    There is more, but I'll let you find it for yourself at http://www.otohq.org/oto/

Please consider this with an open mind.

By Agatha on Friday, December 11, 1998 - 11:25 pm:

lucy, you seem like a very interesting woman. i'm glad you are here adding some new thought provoking discourse to this site. welcome from me.

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, January 4, 1999 - 03:20 pm:

Thank you from me.
    I don't think our straitedge satanist friend read it though (Does no one but me see a contradiction in that. I always thought Luciferianism was about freedom; ooh the Christians are gonna pummell me for that one)

By Me.............. on Monday, January 4, 1999 - 04:48 pm:

Yes, indeed you do seem extremely interesting and you also, are obviously intelligent, which is a rare thing, these days.....Sorabji seems to be visited by a lot of females, but for the most part, the ones who just drop by, are usually young, foolish, naive, etc............nothing wrong with that, it's just not very interesting to us 'older' folks...............(i've no idea into what age category you fall, Lucy, perhaps none, maybe you are ageless.................)

By Curious on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 02:39 pm:

What ever happened to that Venatrix? Pretty sad case; it's hard to see intelligence gone wrong and morality jettisoned. I guess aligning yourself with a "mystical" power gives you quite the boost. What's different between these kids (and non-kids) who go overboard for Jesus as opposed to the "Satanists"? Seems like the S crowd revels in digging out more and more obscure bits and pieces of lore - not at all unlike learning to program - while the J crowd goes for "it's all right there in front of you".
    Speaking as an ex-hippie ("always a sad sight" as one thread puts it), I'd prefer the light. And who knows how much farther along I'd be if I hadn't wasted so many hours stoned?

By agatha on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

venatrix was lucy. hope that sort of answers your question.

By Markus on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 05:46 pm:

Is that true? The source consistently lists different IPs for Lucy and VM. Though they were both arrogant and self-grandiose in that brittle inferiority complex way.

I guess as usual I'm not up on the behind the scenes soap opera around here.

By Dougie on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 07:54 pm:

So who's this Lucy chick that everyone seems to want to keep under wraps?

By agatha on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 07:55 pm:

i don't know, i always assumed that they were the same person. maybe i am wrong.

By Isolde on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 08:21 pm:

They are similar. But there are many people in the world like that, sadly. So they may be different people.

By Gee on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 12:36 am:

Aren't we lucky we're so perfect?

By Isolde on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 12:43 am:

Perfect? Is anyone?

By Markus on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 04:26 am:

Lucy argues with VM above. It would have to be a rather elaborate ruse, to be changing ISPs for each post. And she didn't seem that subtle.

But enough of Lucy already, as Agatha was saying. She's with the others now.

By Oatmeal boy on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 10:45 am:

White male, age 23

FUCK YOU GUYS!

By J on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 10:58 am:

I,m all tore up asshole,hasn,t that house came down from the sky and killed him yet?

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 01:16 pm:

oh god........waffleboy left a long time ago.....

By Nate on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 01:45 pm:

oats was previous to waffleboy.

By Carrie Ann on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 02:13 pm:

Ahh yes, things are all falling back into place now. So all we need to come back is a certain mister DARR-- .... nevermind.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 02:14 pm:

oh you missed a lot carrie ann. but yes, the past still exists.

By Carrie Ann on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 02:19 pm:

Hmmm, yes, I'm beginning to see that I have...

By agatha on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 03:01 pm:

wouldn't oatmeal boy be 24 by now?

By Markus on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 03:27 pm:

Twelve, I think.

By semillama on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

I'd be mildly amazed if he was still breathing.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 01:05 pm:

my cat just threw up on my floor tom

By Nate on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 01:48 pm:

ah fuck.

the kitten brought a newt into the house last night. that disturbed me.

By Isolde on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 10:14 pm:

My cats are running around the house like the pair of lunatics they are. They're gay. And warm, and fuzzy. One of them just left the argument and is batting insistenantly at my toe. And they're pretty good about bringing dead animals intot he house, except for the occaisonal sacrificial sparrow under the bed. Newts are neat.

By R.C. on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 11:32 pm:

Isolde & Nate: what are yr opinions abt letting cats out vs. keeping them in?

My little Six was declawed by whomever owned her previously/then abandoned by the same owner when the bitch moved. (And she didn't even spay her 1st!) So she was homeless. Apparently she cdn't hunt very well clawless/becuz she was all skin & bones when I found her. She looked to be abt 7 or 8 mos. old/certainly old enuf to hunt. But she seems to totally lack the killer instinct. Even now/if a gekko gets in the house/she won't
    really go after it. She'll chase it around for a while/but she never manages to catch anything.

Af first/she was as indoor-outdoor cat. Then when I got her spayed/I kept her inside for a week afterwards -- which she did not like atall. But I did eventually allow her back outside. And man, is she an ornery little bitch! She had a run-in w/a big black longhair that had to be twice her size. I heard all this caterwauling & ran out to look for her & she was in front of the house/ snarling like a gator at this huge cat. Then she had the nerve to run after him! I finally managed to grab her & bring her in the house. She doesn't seem to like other cats.

My neighbors (they have 2 cats) kept telling me I shdn't let her out/being clawless & all/& becuz she cd get exposed to Feline HIV or lukemia. So I relented & started keeping her indoors. But I have 3 lanais -- i.e. screened-in porches -- around my crib/so she does get to be outdoors & get fresh air.

But she still goes to the front door & begs to be let out sometimes. And she will definitely make a mad dash for it if I leave the door ajar when I'm bringing in the groceries. And she's no threat to birds or squirrels/becuz she can't hunt worth a damn. (Ahto' she does engage me in a serious game of Tag every nite.)

I feel bad abt not allowing her outside. I can see she misses it. But she's declawed. If a dog or a raccoon (& there are several 'coons around here) comes after her -- or that enormous owl I see sometimes at nite -- she'll be a goner for sure. If anything happened to her/I wd never forgive myself.

Yet she managed to fend off whatever critters she must have encountered when she was homeless. And the development I live in is quiet -- I'm far from the main road & there isn't much traffic.
    And everyone w/a dog always keeps them leashed when they take them out.

So what say you two? She's been an indoor cat for a while now. Shd I continue to keep her in/or start letting her out again?

By J on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 10:15 am:

I let my cat and he,s declawed outside,but there doesn,t seem to be any other cats around out to get him,and he managed to kill a bird and bring it right to my bedroom,and dropped it,s dead body by the bed a couple of months ago.So glad I didn,t have to dispose of it.

By Nate on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 10:28 am:

i keep my declawed nica inside (similar story, i sure as hell didn't rip the ends of her fingers off.)

the kitten prose goes outside. nica doesn't seem to mind being inside all the time, prose gets a little too active if you keep him cooped up. i don't let prose out as much here at the new house, because of where i live. i don't want a bobcat to eat him or anything like that.

or the neighbors pit bull. or the river.

By Dougie on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 11:31 am:

I just clip my cat's nails when they get too long. I think declawing a cat is insane. It's not like cropping a dog's tail or something, you're taking away part of what makes them a cat. Also, she never goes outside -- she's a katzehausfrau. She's a 20 pounder, so if she did go outside, it would have to be a an uber-owl to carry her away.

By Margret on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 11:49 am:

I am not worried about my 35 lber when I move to a place with wildlife. The coyotes would have to be on crack (in addition to being hugely fat he is also lightning quick and has claws like razors). The other one is little and wussy and if she did go outside of her own volition she could be picked up and eaten by an aggressive sparrow.

By Dougie on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 11:54 am:

You've got a 35 pound cat, Margret??? Damn, I thought mine was big. What is he, half bobcat or something?

By Margret on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 12:02 pm:

just...an otherwise big orange cat, who is also fat.
    He's actually dropped weight.
    We think he's in the high 20s now.
    35 was his heyday.
    He has a relatively small head, too, so he looks ridiculous.
    He is named Juices.

By Nate on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 12:14 pm:

nica is 20lbs now. she eats the kitten food.

By J on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 12:33 pm:

My cat is bulimic.

By Dougie on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 03:13 pm:

Yeah, my cat is too. The ONLY kind of meat she doesn't like is liver, and she about claws my legs off when I open a can of tuna. Her favorite though is NutriGrain bars and fig newtons.

By Margret on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 03:54 pm:

OH MY GOD! My fat orange cat eats fig newtons and I thought he must be the only cat in the world with that particular palate!
    FREAKY!

By semillama on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 05:30 pm:

My cat is afraid of her own shadow. I never let her out without supervision. She's declawed, I had it done because the alternative was having to get rid of her (she was clawing up my roommates furniture). She's quite small, I would be suprised if she was more than 10 pounds. I wish I had a porch or something she could hang out on, but I don't. the next place I ive, hopefully it will have something like that. I've held off on getting another cat because I know how traumatic that would be for her. Although she got on just fine with my best friend's cat (she freaked when the other cat had kittens tho - that was pretty funny).

Another reason I don't let cats out is to keep them from getting run over or eaten, plus there's the issue of domestic cats being a major factor in the dropoff of migratory songbird populations.

By Isolde on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 07:05 pm:

Neither of mine are declawed--their indoor outdoor, although I prefer to have them in at night. If one/both fo them were declawed for some reason, I would keep it indoors. Sometimes I clip nails too, since Silver Shadow has a funky nail that gets all ingrown. Wierd. I don't really object to a slight loss of wildlife--shit happens. And they get things like mice and gophers mostly anyway...Silver Bell is actually afraid of birds. He runs and hides if one flies by. Nut.

By semillama on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 09:51 pm:

yeah, but we're not talking "slight" - we're talking a nosedive. I may try to track down the article I read later - I'm sure there's something at the Audubon website.

Speaking of birds, i found out today why there are so many blue jays around the fort in the fall - they come en mass and take out the gypsy moth larva. It's amazing here, all you see in the fall are blue jays, you'll see like 50 a day.

By Isolde on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 11:51 pm:

Your cats must get busy. There are many birds in the world. And I'm a cruel, callous person. And I hate the little buggers. Fing things wake me up at nreasonable hours. *glowers*

By semillama on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 12:23 am:

Jeez, MY cat won't even eat bugs anymore, much less birds! What a slacker! When i first acquired her companionship (I may have actually catnapped her, but I am not certain), she ate all the bugs in my seedy apt.

By R.C. on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 01:18 am:

A 20lb. cat? A 35 lb. cat!?

Six weighs 14 lbs. And the vet tech she saw last implied that she was fat. But I don't think so. And she's certainly not sluggish.

Are these Main Coons or Persians or some breed that grows very large?

What do you feed them to get them so big?

By R.C. on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 01:29 am:

I'm w/Isolde on the bird thing. If it files & it ain't big enuf to fend off a cat/it'll have to take it's chances.

Plus I found out that that annoying-ass bird that starts singing at the top of it's lungs at 4:30 a.m. isn't wild -- it lives in a cage on a neighbor's lanai.

I wish I had a b-b gun...

Actually/it's been cold here lately & I think they must have bought it in the house/becuz I haven't heard it all week.

[Notices Sem sulking in the corner w/his Audubon book in his lap.]

We appreciate you standing up for the migratory songbirds & all, Sem. But "Kill or Be Killed" is nature's way. Domestic felines shdn't get a bad rap for doing what comes naturally. Nobody bitches when they catch mice & rats & yucky vermin.

By Gee on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 01:33 am:

I have three cats. they all have their claws.

Gee is a badass. She'll kick anyone's butt. Sometimes she goes and cuddles up to her son and starts licking him and being nice to him and when he gets all comfy she just starts smacking at him. That's just evil. My baby. She's good, though. If one of her brood is getting beaten outside, she'll run out and take care of them.

Neelix (Gee's son) is pretty bad himself. He likes to bring mice home. Sometimes they're alive, though. He's small for his age, which I like, cuz it's like having a kitten forever. He sneers a lot.

BummBumm (Neelix's father) used to be hot stuff, but when he got nuetered it was like he became a different cat. Ever since he fell into that pot of tomato soup he's been really wimpy. He never NEVER leaves the kitchen. Hardly ever. I saw him in the upstairs hall today and as soon as he saw me he ran for the kitchen.

I'm done.

By R.C. on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 02:45 am:

ROFL!

Howinthehell did yr cat fall into a pot of tomato soup? And how did you get it out of his fur? I know some cats will tolerate a but/but not mine!

By R.C. on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 02:46 am:

That was "tolerate a bath" BTW. Sorry.

By Please to note on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 03:01 am:

Some will also tolerate a butt. Although not many.

By semillama on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 04:03 am:

I'm not sulking( haven't gotten around to getting the stats oncats), but it is sad that people are so blase about mass extinctions.

By R.C. on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 05:12 am:

C'mon, Sem -- you can't hate us for favoring cats over birds. Nate even has a bird/so he's doing his part to protect yr feathered friends. And even w/a bird/Nate's still a Cat Person.

Cats are so much cooler & friendlier & more entertaining than birds. A bird can't lick yr toes/or swish his tail across yr face becuz he's so happy yr brushing him/or cuddle up all warm & furry next to you on the pilow.

A bird will shit all over yr pillow!

And there are far too many birds out there for any single species to end up killed off by cats!

And if cats are such a threat to the bird population/how come every major city in the western world is infested w/nasty-ass pigeons?

By agatha on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 01:51 pm:

birds aren't here for us, they are here for themselves. which is how it should be. not all animals can be judged by the role they play in our lives. people are so self centered. jeez.

By Isolde on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 05:49 pm:

I have three birds and two cats. The number is higher on the, um, prey end, clearly. I love them all. But, it's true, my cats rarely shit on my head. Granted, I probably shouldn't take birds out when I'm dressed to go to the opening night of a show and I'm all pretty looking...but still...*seethes*

By semillama on Saturday, January 29, 2000 - 11:54 pm:

Ok, here's stats on cats and birds (as you can see, it adds up):

Cat Predation

Americans keep an estimated 60 million cats as pets. Let's say each cat kills only one bird a
    year. That would mean that cats kill over 60 million birds (minimum) each year - more wildlife
    than any oil spill.

Scientific studies actually show that each year, cats kill hundreds of millions of migratory
    songbirds. In 1990, researchers estimated that "outdoor" house cats and feral cats were
    responsible for killing nearly 78 million small mammals and birds annually in the United
    Kingdom.

University of Wisconsin ornithologist, Dr. Santley Temple estimates that 20-150 million
    songbirds are killed each year by rural cats in Wisconsin alone.

Feline predation is not "natural." Cats were domesticated by the ancient Egyptians and taken
    throughout the world by the Romans. Cats were brought to North America in the 1800's to
    control rats. The "tabby" that sits curled up on your couch is not a natural predator and has
    never been in the natural food chain in the Western Hemisphere.

Cats are a serious threat to fledglings, birds roosting at night and birds on a nest. Research
    shows that de-clawing cats and bell collars do not prevent them from killing birds and other
    small animals. For healthy cats and wild birds, cats should not be allowed to roam free.

Work with your local humane society, veterinarians and state wildlife agency to enact and
    enforce free-roaming cat regulations. For more information:

Free Roaming Cats. American Backyard Bird Society, PO Box 10046, Rockville, MD 20849.

Cats: A Heavy Toll on Songbirds. by Rich Stallcup. Point Reyes Bird Observatory, 4990
    Shoreline Hwy., Stinson Beach, CA 94924.

Is there a Killer in Your House? by George Harrison, National Wildlife Magazine
    (October/November 1992).

Beware of Well-Fed Felines. by Peter Churcher and John Lawton, Natural History
    Magazine (July 1989).

By semillama on Sunday, January 30, 2000 - 12:00 am:

I forgot to add that Habitat loss is the biggest threat, but add free-roaming cats on top of that, and itdoesn't get any better. Apparently, some birds are also declining because traffic and other noise from human activity has confued them and thrown their songs off-key, so to speak, and teh males are no longer as effective in attracting mates.

By Gee on Sunday, January 30, 2000 - 04:57 am:

We used to have a cat named Gills and she used to kill birds quite often. I'm sorry.

As for BummBumm: he likes to sleep on top of the refrigerator where his food is, and the fridge is right next to the stove. There was a Big pot of tomato soup sitting on the stove for some reason or other and Bummie went to jump on the fridge one day and slipped and fell into the pot knocking it over and spilling soup Everywhere. Luckily the soup wasn't hot anymore, so he didn't get burnt.

I tried to give him a bath but he wouldn't have it. This is the same cat who is terrified of the litter box. Finally I just wiped him off with a towel as best I could and let him clean himself off. It took a while. He used to be a really neat cat before that, but ever since he's just a big slob.

By Isolde on Sunday, January 30, 2000 - 01:41 pm:

I appreciate the statistics. It's just difficult for me to decide to keep my cat indoors on behalf of the bird population. I think if they were killing endangered species, I would have a problem. Starlings. Starlings. Starlings.

By semillama on Sunday, January 30, 2000 - 02:05 pm:

Well, yes, they are. I have no problem with them killing starlings or house sparrows, but Kirtland's Warbler?

Gee, are you like a serious night owl? I notice a lot of your posts are really early in the morning, even counting the fact that your're probably in the Central time zone.

By Isolde on Sunday, January 30, 2000 - 02:29 pm:

Hmm...I give in, sort of. I know that cats aren't natural, and that they kill many of my fine avian friends. But then again. I kill my fine avian friends too. Although generally not the endangered ones. I actually frown on my cats killing birds, since I do kind of like the little buggers. They maybe bag one or two a year. But gophers are another matter altogether.

By Gee on Sunday, January 30, 2000 - 04:51 pm:

Eastern time zone, Semillama. And yes, late is good. Late is great. I love being awake when it's really late, unfortunatly I'm too lame to actually do anything interesting. I just like the quietness of nighttime.

Tonight I will make an effort to go to bed at a normal time (11pm?), even though I know I'll just be lying there thinking about stuff for a couple hours. I'll make my best effort.

By Czarina on Monday, January 31, 2000 - 08:36 am:

"Is There a Killer in Your House", was that article by George Harrison, the ex-Beatle? I don't remember any bird/cat songs by them.

I breed mutant cats,with little bitty short legs,
    [Munchkins],I thought they would have a hard time getting to my birds,but they just find something to jump on to get them closer to the bird cages.
    But most of my cats are afraid of my birds,cause the birds are bigger than them.

By Patrick on Monday, January 31, 2000 - 03:08 pm:

i love bathing my pussies, i usually get naked and get in with them, simply becasue my clothes will be sopping wet anyway, plus, I can close the glass shower door and keep them from bolting out and wash them easier.......they fight it at first but usually revert to a frozen-like stance, stiffening every muscle.........my cats also have their claws and we too just clip them from time to time.... due to the traffic in our neighborhood, we are protective and keep them indoors, although they love to sun on our balcony.....we make sure and play with them daily so they can get some exercise. I think my cats are extremely happy and they are well fed (no people food either) and loved dearly. .....my cats also pet me as well.......

By semillama on Monday, January 31, 2000 - 06:49 pm:

You breed Munchkins? How do they look like when they move? I've never seen them outside of photographs. I can't decide if I might wnat one or not.

By Gee on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 01:08 am:

Who cares about the munchkins - I can't believe a grown man would get compleatly naked in a tub of water with cats! Aren't you kind of tempting fate, there?

By Isolde on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 02:03 am:

I remember trying to bathe my cats when I was younger and more foolish. I discovered they _really_ didn't like the idea. I ended up working for a vet for part of a summer in my freshman year, I think--then I learned how to do it right. We still had to wear smocks, though.

By Patrick on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 04:18 am:

tempting fate?

no dear.......efficacy......

it's simple

wrestling the feline into the tub (claws intact mind you)...splashing occurs. Leaning over to wash said kitty........drying a wet cat is the most fun.....right?.....wet sopping fur....nevermind the clothes, the hair..form a wet cat..i would take a shower afterwords regardless.... Might as well save step, spare your clothes. I bath, she drys......when the meow meows are done, we shower, no hair, no wet cords....

By Markus on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 08:06 am:

I think Gee was thinking safety here, not cleanliness, which was also the first thing that sprang to my mind. I'd be leary of putting the delicate bits anywhere near a wet, unhappy feline of any variety.

By Patrick on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 11:50 am:

oh i see. yes yes, you have a concern, but my tub has a ledge inside that will allow me to sit and keep the kitty away from my bits.....

By mistaswine on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 03:13 pm:

to hell with the kitty.

you ever read mean magazine?

i guess it's based out in la-la land.

what do you know about it?

By Patrick on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 03:38 pm:

no and not a damn thing. a few my office who happened to be close by said they have never heard of it either. It must be rather new. I do know that their offices are a block from my house....

hmmmmmmm

By mistaswine on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 03:50 pm:

so how many ducats would it take to get you to break into their office some night and jack all their fela media?

theoretically speaking, of course.

By Patrick on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

a hypothetical million...thank you

that and an explanation of "fela media"

a rock through the window? 1k

By Markus on Tuesday, February 1, 2000 - 06:09 pm:

Airfare, a bottle of Ware's aged tawny, and copies of the Fela media.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact