A Turkey......NOT!

sorabji.com: Who are you?: A Turkey......NOT!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 10:26 am:

but the prez sure looks like one with this stunt:

from the Telegraph UK

Bush Thanksgiving bird turns out to be another turkey
    By Alec Russell
    (Filed: 05/12/2003)

The reputation of White House spin doctors for obsessively manipulating President George W Bush's image came under the spotlight again yesterday when it emerged that the turkey he appeared to be serving to troops in Baghdad was not for eating.

The homely photograph of a smiling Mr Bush apparently proffering a platter with a huge, succulent turkey to American soldiers on Thanksgiving has been widely seen as one of the key images of his presidency.

Since the secretly planned trip to Baghdad his ratings have soared and Democrats have fumed. Four days after his return the National Annenberg Election Survey put his job approval rating at 61 per cent, a colossal figure for this stage of a presidency, up by five percentage points.

But yesterday it emerged that the Bush turkey, images of which were published round the world, had been a "model" adorning the end of the buffet line and that soldiers were served their meals from cafeteria steam-trays.

White House officials told the Washington Post that they did not know the "trophy" turkey would be there, nor that Mr Bush would pick it up.

The incident highlights the obsession of this White House with form over substance, and its reputation as the most image-conscious in American history.

Last month the White House had to concede that it made and supplied the banner "Mission Accomplished" that hung behind Mr Bush as he declared, a little prematurely it now seems, an end to major combat.

Asked yesterday whether the turkey was genuine, Scott McClellan, Mr Bush's spokesman, made a rare joke by deflecting attention to the White House Christmas tree, due to be unveiled later in the day.

"The tree today, as far as I know," he said, "is real"

By semillama on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 10:27 am:

They also admitted that they make up stuff like the "British Airways Plane contact" all the time because they claim they want to provide "color" for the reporters' stories...

By heather on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

give me a break

you think they should have had someone
    standing there carving turkey for i don't kow
    how many people?

would you want to wait for that just to see that
    your dinner actually came from the bird?

the whole thing was dumb, but worrying about
    the stupid turkey......no thanks.

By semillama on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

well, it clearly demonstrates what the whole purpose of the trip was about.

Interesting to compare his trip with Senator Clinton's trips to Afghanistan and Iraq at the same time. At least she went outside and talked to the troops and took a look at conditions.

By patrick on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 01:32 pm:

i was actually hoping Senator Clinton would have gotten kidnapped in downtown Kabul and taken to a cave in Tora Bora and held for....you name it.

Imagine that.

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

come now patrick, you dont want whoever spunk says is spying on us to take that literally...

speaking of which, i'm just reading here that the CIA is looking into Eminem lyrics because some unreleased song talks about dead presidents...

jeepers

By semillama on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

The CIA? don't you mean Secret Service? That's outside the CIA's supposed authority, as they are supposedly not allowed to work within the US (didn't stop them during Project MONGOOSE, though)(or from giving LSD or syphillis to black men without their knowledge).

That almost sounds like an Onion article.

By patrick on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 02:40 pm:

well no rowlf.

i just thought it would be a fantastically fun political quagmire the Bush regime would find itself in.

Senator Clinton captured by al Qaida and held in Tora Bora.

what would they do?

If the Secret Service and CIA can't decifer frivilous internet speculation from threatening language then clearly we're fucked in so many other ways.

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 03:26 pm:

"what would they do?"

Yes, what a movie that would make... Bush fighting his way through the harsh landscape to rescue Clinton... heh...

wonder if they'd give her the Jessica Lynch 'hero' tag

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

By patrick on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

well considering they blew it in Tora Bora once before, or so goes the common perception, you think they;d 'blow it' again?

Tora Bora would be reduced to rubble.

By dave. on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 08:23 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact