Shower songs

sorabji.com: Worst music you've ever heard: Shower songs
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 04:58 pm:

I do a lovely medley which differs every day. My favourite would be a combo of "Stand By Your Man", which segways unbelievably nicely into "I Don't Know How to Love Him", then I like to wrap up with a simple heartfelt chorus of "Ave Maria". Something about the rinse cycle requires a spiritual moment.

By patrick on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 05:06 pm:

"Hello im a Truck" or "Roll Truck Roll" by Red Simpson

By patrick on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

"Hello im a Truck" or "Roll Truck Roll" by Red Simpson

By droopy on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 05:56 pm:

Neko Case has a whole album of songs just perfect for singing in the shower. I like singing "Thrice All-American" and "Bought and Sold," in particular.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

I was Aretha doing Chain of Fools this morning. Y'all are fortunate you weren't there.

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

I sing LeadBelly in the shower some times. Goodnite Irene or John Hardey and stuff like that. I make my Daddy laugh singin Curtus Mayfield real loud in the shower. 1970's funk is alwys good for showerin, music to groove to while cleaning your funky self.

By patrick on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 06:19 pm:

i was listening to Curtis driving in many feet of snow yesterday. the man can soothe.......

By Pilate on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 06:27 pm:

Except when channeled by Brendan. Then it's not soothing, it's just fucking hilarious. I say this with all due respect to His Holiness, the Archbishop of Funk.

I don't generally sing in the shower. I have no soul.

My lover does some great surf music in the shower. He should've sung backup for the Beach Boys or something. He has an uncanny way of jumping from part to part, lead to backup. But trying to get him to sing outside of the shower is tough.

By pez on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 07:02 pm:

i used to practice accents in the shower, act out scenes or make up songs.

it would've been extremely embarrassing for me had someone burst into the bathroom while i was doing my horrible cockney, my part from 'the sausage eaters' or singing "i am evil incarnate. i am wearing a catsuit."

"have you seen my weiner?"

By moonit on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 09:37 pm:

the boy wanted a shower radio.

I told him a slick surface and music is a
    dangerous combination, but I bought him one
    anyway.

So i sing to whatevers on the radio.

badly

By TBone on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:47 pm:

I do body-percussion in the shower.

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 11:39 pm:

Etta: I wanna ta ta you.

Sousa: stars n stripe forever, in german.

anybody ever hear the Guckenheimer Sauer Kraut Band?

By J on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 12:23 am:

Daniel ssss,the goats are working,today I sang Wouldn't it be Nice,by the Beach Boys,wouldn't it?If life was like that?Sometimes it is,that's what hurts.

By Czarina on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 09:32 am:

Patsy Clines "I Fall to Pieces",then I usually finish up with a chorus of "Singing in the Rain",to which I add a jaunty little dance step.
    {I would be very embarrassed if I were ever caught doing this}

By Dougie on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 10:50 am:

I was in an Allman Bros mood this morning, "... and I've got one more silver dollar,
    But I'm not gonna let them catch me, no,
    Not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider."

By sarah on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

pretty little thing let me light yo candle cuz a-mamma i'm sho hard to handle now, yesiram.

By Danielssss Little Goat Gitar Band on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 11:17 am:

Johnny Watson: "Aint no girl in the whole wide world ... the world round for me ... but you... Dont you understand... baby ... I'm gonna be a man ... baby ...when love is so true true true ... come back here baaa-bay..."

or words to that effect. a little diff from Etta but the meaning is the same.

By agatha on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

this is not shower music, but i have had this horrible chili peppers ripoff song in my head for two days, it goes a little something like this:
    "come my lady, come come my lady, be my butterfly, sugar, baby..."

please make it go away.

By pez on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

oh, butterfly by crazy town?

i love that song! you have to too!

By semillama on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

Those guys are unoriginal shitheads. They sampled "Pretty Little Ditty" and nothing else. They just looped the sample over and over and over. How creative is that?

(Speaking of, I recently heard the Chili Pepper's version of "Love Rollercoaster," while not as good as the original, is still mighty mighty.)

Pfagh! The only band on the radio now that gets on my nerves more is Linkin Park. Somebady needs to deliver a dragon fury punch to the nuts of that abomination called -rap-rock, with the fist erupting out through the backside of the retarded fudgesucker that it is.

By agatha on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 07:53 pm:

it's completely awful. just looking at those guys irritates me. they look like such dorks.

By dave. on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 09:44 pm:

i just saw that video. brrr.

i like the mudvayne video. song sucks like all the other new metal that sounds like sepultura and korn mixed together. i just like the guitarist's get-up. he's bizarre looking.

By pez on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 01:34 am:

thank you for completely dissing my cd collection. sorry for being overly mainstream and not watching mtv.

actually, i prefer kittie. meow! or beasties.

By J on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 02:24 am:

Pez,it's Sorabji,most people puke cause I like the Gin Blossoms(now the Gas Giants)fuck them I LIKE THEM.You should see my vinyl,I like the WORDS!To me a good song is some meaningful words,and if your a God you can put them in a clever package and the people will come.I like Neil Young,I must have been listening to him on Christmas Eve.I think I have seen it in print somewhere that Elvis Costello is called the human dictionary and that is so right on.I always liked Cole Porter for much the same thing,he had a way with words.I loved the Norman Rockwell show,the man had a true connection to real people and the real world.It wasn't that long ago ,that we could leave our doors unlocked.and we trusted our leaders,and we had families,and my doctor made house calls,and we had neighbors.There was some irony there.Anyway,be true to yourself Pez.

By semillama on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 11:22 am:

This is Sorabji, after all. I get dissed all the time for my devotion ot Iron Maiden.

Motorhead still kicks everyone else's ass. Although Kittie is pretty damn kickass themselves.

By dave. on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 01:24 pm:

umm, motorhead does not kick everyone else's ass.

By pez on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 01:41 pm:

i like crazytown because it's earcandy. rap/rock has a definate hold on me, i won't deny it. i also have linkin park and incubus.

i have no doubt and garbage and kittie, beastie boys and david bowie. even chumbawamba and white town ("your woman") are on my shelves.

i have to admit that my favorite song of all time is "bodhisattsva vow" by the forementioned beasties.

By semillama on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 04:30 pm:

See, Pez? I get my music stomped on all the time. You can chime in on how Iron Maiden sucks ass anytime you want.

My most recent cd acquisitions (this weekend) include: Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Live at the Royal Albert Hall, Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste, PIL - That What is Not, The Church - Gold Afternoon Fix and Priest = Aura, INXS - Elegantly Wasted, Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide, Jimmy Cliff - Hanging Fire, Beau Jocque - Check It Out, Lock It In, Crank It Up!, Ted Hawkins - Songs From Venice Beach, Iron Maiden - A Real Dead One, and Brian Joens -Omaha.

All of the above except for the first I got on credit from trading in $90 worth of cds and books. I ahad thought that the place gave out cash as well but they don't anymore, so I tried to find an equivalent amount of books and cds, which was hard. I got 11 cds and 5 books, and I still have $13 of credit there. Hope I can remember that the next time I go there, which probably won't be for months and months.

At least I accomplished my goal of getting rid of a bunch of cds I didn't want anymore.

By pez on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

i rarely buy a full-priced cd. my latest purchase was poe's "haunted", for $9.89.

i bought my first cd a few weeks before my 18th birthday, because they cost less than tapes at the warehouse. now, a little more than a year later, i am nearing 50 cds. i still listen to tapes every once in a while, but i love random play. it forces me to expand my horizons.

another thing i've discovered is that there are cds availiable for checkout at the library. i've been getting into semi-traditional middle-eastern music lately (tarkan from istanbul; another band, french, with iranian influences).

there is a music for every mood. i have a tape of debussy that i listen to while daydreaming/meditating (though not as much as i like), i borrow my sister's aqua cd when i want to be hyper-happy. for breakups and late-night studying there's nothing like fast hard rock. kittie garbage linkin park bloodhound gang. and fatboy slim always makes me smile.

one thing that's amazing about the lyric is that it only takes a few tweaks to have a good parody. "i think i'm paranoid" becomes "i think i'm a primate" "jingle bells" becomes a whiny song about waiting for the bus in the rain. anything goes.

and i'll never forget "fish heads" or "boot to the head" thank you, dr. demento!

By sarah on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

hey sem, do you know the word on Thrall? they're from detroit and i've heard some great things about them from my homies. they're playing SxSW and i think i'm going to check them out.

my latest CD aquisitions:
    The Pierces - self titled (permanent rotation for the last 2 weeks, roommates want to kill me)

Looper - The Geometrid (this CD sucks ass)

Mary J Blige - Mary (the girl does no wrong)

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 03:10 pm:

Latest acquisitions:

Mark Lanegan - "The Winding Sheet" and "Scraps at Midnight" (where has he been my whole life? I love him. I can't believe I didn't listen to this sooner.)

The Twilight Singers - "Twilight" (I thought Greg Dulli lost it after "Gentlemen," but this is really good. Really smooth and mellow and sexy.)

Scratch Acid - "The Greatest Gift" (just because)

Sem, what's that Julian Cope like? A friend of mine raves about him, but I'm a little leery.

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 03:14 pm:

PS. Dear, dear Pez, that Crazytown song is so appallingly bad it doesn't merit the earcandy label. New Wet Kojak...now *there's* some earcandy. Mmmm-mmm.

By dave. on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 05:53 pm:

hey, rhiannon. didn't i recommend lanegan to you like a year ago? when i called you a goth chick? he's rad. you should also get screaming trees "dust" and "buzz factory".

scratch acid kicks motorhead's ass. i like el espectro.

i hate bands that you can tell spend way too much time in front of the mirror, i.e. crazytown.

By dave. on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

i'm re-thinking my position on radiohead. kid a is pretty good but, except for a few songs on the bends and ok computer, they're otherwise pretty mediocre.

just is a good song and has a cool video.

By pez on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:19 am:

I FRIGGIN' LIKE CRAZYTOWN, OKAY?????

but i do have to admit, i bought the cd after hearing "butterfly" and the other songs really suck.

poe's new cd definately makes up for it.

By Joe on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:29 am:

ah, the shower! the echo created by the tile makes us sound so much better than we really are! but that's ok. show tunes are the best. there you are, naked AND on stage! what more could you want?

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:30 am:

dave, you like Kid A better than the bends & ok computer? I'm just the opposite -- I can't warm up to Kid A but the bends & ok computer I think are brilliant.

By rhiannon on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 09:29 am:

hey, dave, i must have figured there was something up with your perception, since you thought i was goth, and therefore didn't trust your recommendation. but i apologize for my mistrust, because mark lanegan is just awesome.

pez, i will send you a mix tape.

By Trace on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 10:57 am:

The halls have been quiet lately, kinda like spring break

By Margret on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 11:19 am:

i am enjoying perfect circle right now. however, i keep listening to my gerry mulligan & chet baker and pushing it on others.
    i think it is time for me to go into a 'where you been' funk.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

i don't even know have this mtv shit you guys are speaking of. crazytown? what the hell is that? garbage? no doubt? please rhinannon hurry with that mixed tape.

trust me pez.....there is just so much more out there than what the mainstream packages up for you all pretty, easy and simple. I know the lyrics are all decipherable, anbd easy to understand, it requires little brain action....but once you see what else is out there, what the mainstream doesn't want you to hear....you realize you were being duped all along.

Try this pez.....instead of listening to a tape or cd, or your local cock-rock, pop radio station, listen to your local NPR station, here they have a local show called Morning Becomes Eclectic, I don't think its nationally syndicated, but Im sure your local affiliate has a similar program, after the morning national news. There is jsut so much more out there.

I've been humming "London Callin", "Rudy Can't Fail" and "Spanish Bombs" for two weeks now.

God damn thats such a good record.

The Advocate keeps harping on Perfcet Circle, I guess one of the members is gay or something, but it seems just mediocre indie rock. Ugh...

By semillama on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

Mediocre Indie rock? You mean like Radiohead?

I still don't get why folks rave about them. They're good, but no better than any number of their contemporaries that I could name.

I don't know anything about Thrall. Julian Cope is interesting listening. Poppy, english rock music with touches of Bowie. Bizarre subject matter. I like him.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:02 pm:

yes, exactly sem, same thing with radiohead. i've never seen the hype with them. its not bad, its not great, its just ok....ok computer...(HA! get it get it!)

the only indie rock that has tapped my head and bopped my feet lately is Built To Spill.

I am now making a concerted effort to find new music.

my former bassists and music aficionado extraordinare from atlanta is now online, so we can talk daily. he is helping me find new music though he shares my pessimism. although if anyone knows anything about rare italian cinematic avante garde soundtracks, or strange Brian Jones side projects with sitars it would be him. he has a suger mama, so he is home alot, and has time to read and listen to things....he has the ability to weed through the shit out there. and with the advent of the web, and accessibility has exploding, you have to do more weeding now than every before.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

Thinking about Pez's mix has made me excited!

Oh, what shall I put on it? I was thinking of things that could appeal to a pop-trained ear but had meat to it -- like Mark Lanegan or Morphine, -- at first, and then slowly working towards the more inaccessable stuff that will nevereverever be played on commercial radio, like Slint and the Jesus Lizard.

I'm shivering with delight at the thought of someone who likes Crazytown hearing David Yow for the first time. hahahahahahaha!

Patrick, I'll put some Make-Up on there in your honor, baby.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

that'll work.

how about some of the basics...sonic youth hits like Kool Thang, any tune from the Pixies, VU. Maybe some JSBX, Blonde Redhead....???? For the popster, she may really dig Stereolab, if you have any of that. How about other DC pop greats like Unrest?....Tsunami?...Eggs?

and she definitly needs to be introduced to the school of Tom Waits.

work slowly to the Lizard.....that takes some workin up to. At first it come off really metalish....

im sure what every you use will be super!

By sarah on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

oh my god. radiohead is indie rock? really? had no idea...

By sarah on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

rhi, i listened to the mark lanegan bits offered up on amazon RA and maybe it was just my speakers, but boy did that stuff sound... hollow.

or is that the point?

By semillama on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

Indie rock as a musical style, I think, is differnt from indie rock as a status of affiliation with record labels. I mean, take any indie rock band, sign them to a major label, but don't change their style. Are they no longer indie rock? I mean, what the hell. "Indie Rock" should be on one of Matt Groening's lists of Forbidden Words.

Also, sorry if I may have offended you, Pez, but I really don't like those bands.

I am listening to Ted Hawkins right now. Damn I wish he hadn't died. Sweetest singer around.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

wow

though completley unrelated....i managed to catch in time the sonic boom of the shuttle landing out here at edwards again.

god damn thats so cool.

By J on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

Come to think about it,since Doug Hopkins killed himself,it's over.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 05:17 pm:

His voice, sarah, his voice! To me, he sounds like (and I mean this in the best possible, least scary way) Bono mixed with Tom Waits. I love it.

And the pretty melodies! The soul!

By dave. on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:09 pm:

amazon's realaudio SUCKS! lanegan's just amazing. i can't remember all the stuff you listed that made me think goth but i thought lanegan's brooding, moody stuff would fit right in there. not that he's goth, either but he sort of is in a non-glam, american gothic way. he's also got a serious drug problem and has been spotted looking very sick and selling his levi's for crack money which lends an air of legitimacy to his thing. poor, tormented artist guy, nobody knows the troubles you've seen.

i've got a crush on thom from radiohead's goofy eye. built to spill kick radiohead's ass.

i simply can not listen to maynard whatshisbutt at all. i can't exactly put my finger on why but i just think he's an utter sham. like marilyn manson, by the time tool arrived on the scene, the trail had been blazed, territory settled, developed and gold had been discovered. all those guys had to do is cruise in with their cushy tourbus on the superhighway, plug in and make noise. hell, that's how i feel about most music anymore. somebody show me something truly new that doesn't totally suck. you can't.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:20 pm:

Wesley Willis is in town this week....i think i may go rock out to that.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:23 pm:

is mark lanegan indie rock?

By dave. on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:26 pm:

sarah, there's a bunch of lanegan on napster. but for how long. . .

rock out to wesley willis? you're joking.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:46 pm:

he's on subpop so i guess he is. he's not really rock. screaming trees are rock.

rhiannon, if you haven't already, check out "the boatman's call" by nick cave and the bad seeds.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 09:16 pm:

ok, i just went to napster for the first time and failed to understand what is supposed to happen. how do i work that thing? where's the music? i'm too stooopids to figure it out.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 09:18 pm:

their icon looks like a little devil head. no wonder.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 10:09 pm:

did you download the client? you need the client. click the word "download" then click "napster for windows". install the client, etc. etc. hint: click the advanced button on the search page and filter out all the bitrates below 192/kbps unless your search comes up blank or you have a slow net conection in which case you can go down to 160 or 128 kbps. anything below that is worthless unless you're d/ling audio books.

voila! you're snagging files off of other people's computers!

By dave. on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 10:16 pm:

By pez on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 01:02 am:

ooh! i'm getting a mixtape! goody!

it's true. i was raised on soft rock. then moved on to oldies and pop. i've since changed to "alterntative" and classic rock. now i'm beginning to like rap.

something that's been driving me crazy: i've been trying to find a recording of "battleflag" by lo-fi all-stars and nobody's even heard of the band. erg.

By dave. on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 03:30 am:

pez, that's a remix of a song from this. get this album because it is excellent.

i thought i posted this already. hmmm.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 09:05 am:

Hey patrick, here's a boom for ya.

By sonic patrick boom on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

god thats cool shit.

By J on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

By pez on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 01:58 pm:

thanky.

i'll listen to it later, at home. i don't have my headphones with me, so i need to be polite.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:22 am:

Hey, Shawn Smith of Pigeonhed is (was?) one of the Twilight Singers. (Apparently, he and Fat Greg Dulli had a falling-out recently.)

By Margret on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 10:00 am:

I can't some of you dumbasses don't fall down on your knees for your sacrilege. Radiohead kicks ass. Kicks serious hardcore ass. The sound layering, the mood poem quality. It's giving me shivers THINKING about it.
    I am enjoying the perfect circle. I like music that has been well engineered; I love the mix of the primitive and the delicate. I don't so totally love it, it's nothing approaching the rip through your bowels quality of, say, aenima.
    Really, though, I think OK Computer is on par with Daydream Nation, and I love Daydream Nation like you could not conceive. Mmm, feel the need to hear 'providence'. Thurston? Thurston? Watt here. D'you find your shit?
    I am going to Pittsburgh in March for my friend Kate's wedding. Cameron and I will be looking around to see if we want to live there; he has never lived anywhere but Albuquerque. I tried to talk him towards the pacific northwest because I like moving to places I've never lived before, but he is excited to see the places I've spoken of.

By Margret on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 10:13 am:

Yeah, and I just have to check something:
    is anyone else creepily obsessed with tmbg's 'road movie to berlin' as though it some sort of fundamental truth that could change the world if the decoder ring will just come in the mail from the kabbalah korps? Anyone?

By semillama on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 10:40 am:

Well, maybe not creeepily obsessed.

Hey Margret, I will be just northwest of Pittsburgh the last couple weeks of March, in some hotel. That's a pretty close sorabji confluence. Email me if you and your hubby have time to grab a bite to eat some night.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:58 am:

"I think OK Computer is on par with Daydream Nation,"

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, 100%, PERFECTLY OF YOUR FUCKING MIND!!!!!!

my fucking gawd, talk to me about sacrilege. Radio head sucks the TEAT of Thurston Moore.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:58 am:

sonic youth created a whole fuckin genre...radio is just a player in said genre

By pez on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

oh, cool! it's good!

By semillama on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 12:51 pm:

They're no motorhead, that's for sure.

By Margret on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 02:03 pm:

Patrick, you punk-ass squat pee-ing no-nothing cultural upchuck, while I must admire your taste in recognizing the godhead of daydream nation, i fear the narrowness of said reflects the atrophy of your imagination and the refinement of your sense of nuance. Or you could just be a dumbass.

By Margret on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 02:07 pm:

Oh, and Sem? It's in early March that we will be there, Mar. 2-4. I am flying in to DC on Mar. 1, if we have any dcsorabjians. Umm, and out on the 5th. Otherwise I would have insisted that you come to Kate's wedding and meet my friends from college. And if you chance to be in Pittsburgh earlier than expected, I will still insist.

By dave. on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

although i can see why they're special, i could never really get into sonic youth. in fact if all i owned were sonic youth cds, i'd probably just listen to talk radio. thurston moore vs. nels cline? nels cline, definitely.

talk radio's sounding better and better all the time.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:10 pm:

i could say the same about your inflated uproar of praise for some generic indie rock band like radio head. or i could just call it a lack or taste, but its the bond of daydream that keeps me from completely skull fucking your sense of taste

while i admit to being a punk-ass and even squatting to pee sometimes just to see what it feels like, there is indeed no narrowness in my bones. im convinced i have one of the most eclectic collections of music around, hearing beauty in the most obscure of items. if there's any narrowness, it be in your inability to see through the transparent, hollow and utterly boring done-before-sound of radiohead, furthermore to put it on a pedestal as you do. i don't deny their talent as musicians, but i deny the impact and grandeur of it

"no-nothing cultural upchuck"?

now thats just way outta bounds

im sorry dave. sonic youth made beauty, rhthym and harmony out of noise long before anyone knew what to do with it.

And here's one for your margie.....

im willing to go one step further, Daydream was merely the album that had refined their previous genius, its albums like Evol, Sister and Confusion is Sex and even the Ciccone Youth album that demonstrate groundbreaking talent. Daydream just had easier to hear words, and more refined guitar playing for you simpletons.

Daydream was like Nirvana's Nevermind but the truly great album was Bleached

Daydream was like the Pixies Trompe Le Monde
    but you know it was Surfer Rosa or Doolittle that truly made the mark.....

on another note, i'd like to take a moment to recollect my broken copy of sister vinyl. I got it on a trade for some acid when i was in highschool. what is particularly special about it is its first pressing, Brazilian that is......it doesnt have the picture of the little girl in overalls blacked out on the cover. if you note, the modern day cover has a black box across the front. The rights for the picture were never obtained so they were sued, and had to cover the pic up. One day, the almbum got slightly warped after being transported in a hot car to college, so i was gently but with subtle force put it back (like the DUMBASS i am) and it split in half.

hmmmm, maybe i should just go buy a new copy and replace the cover.

By semillama on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:10 pm:

Damn. Won't be there until after the 15th. You should look up Rhiannon, though, she lives near DC, I thnk. She's fun to hang out with.

Speaking of, Rhiannon, I'll be in DC in May, for a conference. Deja Vue all over again?

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:14 pm:

i may be in Chicago over memorial day weekend.

wait, there is no one here in chicago.

damn

By J on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:18 pm:

I was glad to see Radiohead win best alternative album at the Grammy's for Kid A.Also glad to see U2 winning again,I bought their Pop c.d.and it was a huge disapointment,I like Beautiful Day.

By pez on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:26 pm:

hrm.

radiohead is ok. they're a lot different from some of the stuff i listen to.

my blood is crying for some good jazz.

By Margret on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

then get you some gerry mulligan and rest you.

By Nate on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

thurston moore? radiohead? jesus holy moly mother of christ the bitch.

"The Bridge" by Ace of Base. like licking the face of god. you guys have no idea what music is.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:37 pm:

i think brubeck has it going on more than mulligan ever had it. as far as west coast, laid back, easy-go-lucky jazz goes.

you want jazz to mad vacuum your house on, or negotiate traffic with , pick any c. parker album post 1950 or coltrane post 68. you want jazz to have a nice wine dinner witho or read a book to....go for the mulligan.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

oh and as if i havent said enough......the mrs. loves it when i geek out on music....so i do it fervently with her in mind, or for the nookie as you mtv-sters might say

By sarah on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

dave., kel - talk to me about the band Unwound.

By Priam on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

John Coltrane died in 1967.

By semillama on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 04:00 pm:

So did Reagan, but he didn't let that slow him down.

By J on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 04:09 pm:

LMAO !!!,that's the best I've heard all day,oh my stomach hurts.

By Nate on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

he was talking about Coltrane Phillips, bluegrass extrodinaire.

By Kalli on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 04:33 pm:

Sem, I live about an hour south of DC. When you come down lets grab Rhi and play.

I'm fun.

No, really.

I always need an excuse to get my ass up there anyway.

Oh, and Radiohead sucks.

Although I think I'm the only one who thinks that. If I have to hear one more person tell me how great Kid A is, I'm gonna play the Labryinth head poopin game.

By J on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 04:37 pm:

Kid A is just great:)

By MarGret on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

Philistines. I know you are all fucking philistines.
    Now I am in a Bowie mood.
    I've got a motherfucking message from the action man, dog.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

Anybody else know anything about Dido? I downloaded that song Thank You, nice tune, I like her voice, but I don't know anything else by her. Is the cd good? I saw eminem & elton john last night, and was really impressed with the tune he stole--I mean sampled, and with elton singing it. Eminem can go eat a dick though.

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 05:51 pm:

oh, thanks.....for some reason i was under teh impression 'trane bit the bullet in like 72 or something...NONETHELESS I was referring to any of his shit from the Village Vanguard series onwards....especially albums like SUnship, and Om

that'll get your bull runnin

By moonit on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:41 pm:

how wierd, I just read a thing about Dido -

shes a former classic pianist, joined her brothers
    group Faithless as vocalist, then went solo.

No Angel is her first solo album.

the boy calls it 'music to fuck to

oh and shes english

By dave. on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 10:45 pm:

sarah, i don't know enough about them to form an opinion.

HAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

i don't care for them and i don't see what the big deal is. did you figure out napster? try checking some of their stuff out there. kelsey may have a different opinion

nick cave is sold out.

rhiannon, that's the same shawn smith. he has a wonderful voice, too. is that stuff any good? i have to admit to never hearing the afghan whigs or at least not remembering hearing it.

By agatha on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 12:22 am:

i saw them a couple of times, i think they are talented but they sort of bore me. they tend to go on and on in a big guitar wankfest. they are big stars in oly. justin was my friend's roommate and cousin, he's pretty nice. the girl is sort of a spoiled brat, in my opinion.

sonic youth is one of my favorite bands ever. i love sister and evol the most.

are you all going to shoot me if i say that eminem/elton (and macey gray) and were the best acts on the grammy's last night?

pez, i still think you're a nice person, even if you do like crazytown.

By pez on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 01:13 am:

i think this particular thread has saved my sanity--for the moment, that is.

ace of base-the bridge: that was the first album i ever bought. "blooming 18" "edge of heaven"...ooh, i loved that. i need to dig it out. i remember everyone was listening to "the sign" in seventh grade and i thought they were crap because i hadn't heard them yet. then i fell in love with them when i heard "beautiful life". i should get the third and the greatest hits cds so i'll have them all.

i've got a herbie mann cd around here somewhere, but it's too light and it isn't enough. i remember how the highschool jazz band played "moanin'"...i forget who wrote it, but it began with a phenominal bari sax solo that digs into your soal (soul...but i like the new spelling) and wails. the fam has a cd of christmas jazz...the nutcracker suite, jazz style is gorgeous.

i've been listening to electrode-pop rap-rock screaming-nanny r&p we-think-we're-so-cool fucky lately. jazz gets into your gut and stays, overall much more satisfying than the sugar-sweet cruchy earcandy.

i want to learn how to play tenor sax again and stick with it. then i can howl and cry all i want, without being destructive. i can do that on flute, but the sterotypes of flutes are despicible. you have to be light and pretty and classy or experimental. i just want to growl with metal to the strains of garbage, drowning out shirley manson with my silver pipe.

i had no clue the grammys were on last night, i used to record them every year and watch them the next day. after a while, i'd just record but never watch. i'd rather just listen to my cds while i read and dream, not watch the fancy clothes and feel the speech.

By droopy on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:00 am:

I'll learn to work the saxophone
    I'll play just what I feel
    Drink Scotch whisky all night long
    And die behind the wheel

did any of you see elvis costello's 500 indispensable recordings in vanity fair a couple of months ago?

By Dougie on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 08:21 am:

No, I missed that droopy, but I'd love to see it. Is there a link, or can you cut & paste it here? Muchas gracias in advance...

BTW, I got Two Against Nature when it first came out, was really looking forward to it, but didn't think much of it. Anbody else like it?

By semillama on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 09:40 am:

Don't worry Pez, not that you are. My musical tastes were very laughable at your age. I still listen to some of the same bands, but others - I don't listen to Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, what have you anymore.

I remember that among the first rock albums I ever owned were some of Weird Al's stuff, The Cars' Heartbeat City, that Dire Straights album with "Money for Nothing" on it, and the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album with "Don't come 'round here no more" on it.

Thinking back to age 18 - There are actually a few bands I still really enjoy that I listened to then. Iron Maiden, Motorhead (ha, dave!), Anthrax, from the metal side. RHCP, Soundgarden, Ministry, Dead Milkmen, Black Flag, Public Enemy, Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, Fear.

Well, maybe my tastes weren't THAT laughable after all.

By Rhiannon on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 11:36 am:

Oh my God does this thread excite me. But I'm at work and can't write much now.

My roommate loves les Sonic Youth. I shall alert her to the existence of this thread so she may get appropriately excited and may reply.

Kalli, Margret: find me. I'll hang out with you, yessirs. Kalli, where are you, exactly? I'm in skanky Greenbelt, MD.

Dave, the Twilight Singers are smooth and mellow and good. The Afghan Whigs were ragged and ugly until "Gentlemen," which was their masterpiece, and then they turned smooth and mellow and not-so-good. "Gentlemen" is the one album I have that I've listened to the most out of all of them. I was obsessed with it when I was 15 like I've never been obsessed with anything else. But I don't know if you'd like it or not, so I refrain from recommending it.

"ace of base-the bridge: that was the first album i ever bought." Pez, girl, I've planned out your mix, and it seems you need it. :) It's going to take 2 120-minute tapes. It's going to be fun. I have quite a thrill planned for you on one of the tapes, but I don't want to give it away. You might be sent over the edge, just so you know. I thought to myself as I wrote it on my list, "This will send her over the edge! Hahahahaha!!" You've been warned.

By Rhiannon on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 11:39 am:

Sem, I wasn't "dissing" you...just didn't see your post -- I'll hang out with you, too.

By semillama on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 12:10 pm:

Cool - it will be a crazed sorabji spring in SC for you, Rhi.

Pez, you are in for a treat. Rhiannon's mixes are to be valued up there with ever-so-elusive swine's.

(tangent: what the hell do we have to do to get this guy posting again?)

By Margret on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 01:35 pm:

Rhi, I'll try. Greenbelt is, I think, a Marc stop on my way into DC from BWI. We're getting in Thursday but driving to Pittsburgh Friday and then getting back Sunday but flying to 'Burque on Monday.
    If it doesn't work out this time (I'm antcipating that it won't) then look for me to LIVE there next year.
    Kalli, you wouldn't happen to live in Charlottesville, would you?

By droopy on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

the 'costello's 500' isn't on the web, that i can tell. and i couldn't possibly type the whole thing out on here. but you can imagine what it's like - very eclectic with classical, rock, jazz, blues, 'world', etc.

it might interest y'all to know that radiohead is in the list - 'the bends' from the album "the bends" and 'no surprises' from "ok computer".

"As for the records of today, maybe some of them will sound just fantastic in 20 years time. It's your lifel So! No Marylin, Puffy, Korn, Eddie Money - sorry, Kid Rock - Limp Bizkit, Ricky, Britney, Backstreet Boys, etc., etc.

The best record of today that I could find was "The Marshall Mathers LP, by Eminem, faster, funnier, and, in an odd way, more truthful than most records. It's up there with the best of "The Simpsons", and I mean that as the highest compliment."

hmmm.

i really should have told you people about this issue when it came out so you could all buy a copy and argue endlessly amongst yourselves. if you want to know if your favorite artist is on here, i suppose you can ask me.

By pez on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 01:50 pm:

i've found that out of all the magazines i've bought, vanity fair is the best. jane takes a close second.

i'll have to dig out that issue. and throw out glamour and cosmo. they're depressing. why do i read them, anyway?

i went into portland yesterday and bought a bunch of zines, at least nine, including an audiozine (is that a word?). they feel realer than the slick coated magazines i'm used to. maybe because all writing is meant as an outlet, either artistically or mentally or emotionally, but not for huge profit margins and yearly salaries.

i am being sucked into my parents world of working long hours for peanuts to pay the bills for outlandish things (do you own the water) and they'd package and sell the air if they only knew how. dress act be a certain way a certain person, conform for survival. and i've been trained for it my entire life, to enjoy the expensive habits while i lock my heart in an ice box and secure it deep in a glacier.

am i to succumb? am i to fight? how will i survive my parents unhappiness? i wish i could know.

By droop on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:01 pm:

it was the november 2000 issue, by the way.

the nude picture of iggy pop was also good.

By patrick on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:10 pm:

my fav mags are Flaunt, Wallpaper and Aperture oh and sometimes W

By J on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

Thanks for telling me now that it's off the stands,you know Elvis is my idol,dog gone it.Maybe I can find it at Bookman's.

By Rhiannon on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:37 pm:

Droopy, I think I saw the magazine you're talking about. Was there a huge article/spread with, like, 50 celebrities, each given a title by their picture (like, "The Rebel," etc.)?

If not, I must have seen a nude Iggy somewhere else recently. You don't forget sights like that very easily.

I myself am partial to the oh-so-cheap/cheezy/depressing Woman's Day that's practically printed on newsprint and is just horrifying in its banality. I buy that every so often when I'm at the grocery store and need something to go "ewwwwwwwww" over. I also like Allure, because it's pure frivolity and I don't have to see cleavage on every page. Christ, Cosmo, not everything's about sex.

By Dougie on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

Thanks Droopy. I can probably get it off contentville.com or something.

By droopy on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

yes, rhiannon - iggy was "the hell-raiser". his 'some weird sin' and 'nightclubbin'' are on the list.

By TBone on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

It's sick, but my first cd was MC Hammer.

By pez on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

am now perusing dialogue, grundig #3, plotz #13, prisoner of doubt, punk rock resume, in abandon, between meals, a renegade's handbook to love and sabotage #2, journalsong #2, scurvy ate my leg #2. somewhere i have cost of living.

i like scurvy ate my leg. it's one comic, no explanation. i with there was an addy on it so i could write the artist...oh well.

By pez on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

i know why i like "butterfly" so damn much.

it's not the lyrics. it's not the singing. it's not the guitar. it's not the drums.

it's the pulsating backgrounds that groove. it's a part that most people forget about, but it's why i like the song.

By Hal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 07:40 pm:

Nah, if you want some damn good shower music.

Try Tenacious D.

If you know who Jack Black is, you'll love'm.

You can't get them on CD yet, their album isn't out, but they are all over Napster. Just download "Jesus Ranch" and "Sex Supreme" and you'll know exactly what I'm taling about. They fucking rule, and all they are is two guys with acustic guitars. THATS it... They fucking rule.

By dave. on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 09:14 pm:

hey droop, is critters' buggin on that list?

By dave. on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 11:41 pm:

well, believe it or not, i had a pretty good post going earlier. then 'CRASH!' i lost it. my '98 partition is pretty hosed. i'm about ready to just archive it, format and install 2kpro.

i got some twilight singers and i'm not sure but it needs more shawn smith. they fall just outside the realm of 'almost boring', one of my favorite music categories.

pell mell and magnog are almost boring.

brian eno's last few releases are almost boring, too. if you havent heard them, you almost should.

kid a is almost boring.

twilight singers, after 1 listen, are mostly boring which, if you've seen the princess bride, you would know is different from plain ol' boring. but not by much.

i just tidied up the cds and i am horrified to find that 2 of my lanegan cds are MISSING! i also remembered that my pigeonhed cd was stolen when my truck got stolen and that made me sad. i'm pretty sure lanegan wasn't in the truck because i always take the cds out of the cases and the lanegan cases are also missing. so where are the cds, agatha?

By Rhiannon on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 01:05 am:

La mia roommate says, re: Sonic Youth --

"I back Patrick's line of argument. Evol kicks everyone in the world's ass. And Sister smears it all over the floor. Wait...wait...Confusion Is Sex is...I just love that one. With that, they form a triumverate of greatness. And by the way, the Reagan years have really set us back."

So sayeth she, so mote it be.

By pez on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 02:59 am:

that reminds me, rhi, i need to mail your zine.

By Glenn branca on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

<judgment> Massive fucking diarrhea on this thread! </judgment>

By Isolde on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 07:05 pm:

Sem, reading this thread is consuming me with guilt about not sending your mix tape yet.

But I guess you already got a package, so I don't feel too bad. I'll send it someday, I promise...I"m just too lazy to go to the post office.

By pez on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 02:50 am:

i never sent my mix tape into the exchange. bad, bad pez.

By droopy on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 12:35 pm:

dave,

no.

By dave. on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 12:37 pm:

then he's a moron.

By droopy on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

iron maiden isn't on there either.

By droopy on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

but howlin' wolf is.

By Isolde on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

You still have a chance, Pez...quickly, quickly...all of you!

By pez on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

now i'll have to find it. drat. another reason to clean my room...before i go to work in an hour and a half.

By cyst on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 10:51 pm:

pez, did you get your zines at reading frenzy?

I'm not reading any comics, but I did recently finish "like a velvet glove cast in iron" or whatever the hell it's called by that one guy, you know? daniel clowes.

I used to stalk mark lanegan. I used to be in a band with steve fisk, the pigeonhed guy who produced the early screaming trees albums, and more than once I've made him take me to shows. just last summer I finally got the nerve to tell him, "um, I have always had a crush on mark lanegan, and you have to take me backstage and introduce me." that night I also finally met mark arm, who would be model handsome if not for the nose.

I think that night was the first time that I also referred to dave in a live conversation with someone other than agatha. I said, "I think I sort of know a pigeonhed fan in olympia. I guess he's the smart, geeky boyfriend of this girl I know." (I assume most everyone on sorabji is a smart geek -- sorry, dave.) steve said, "yeah, pretty much all pigeonhed fans are geeky guys."

I'm sorry to hear that nick cave is sold out. I've never listened to nick cave, but I'm going to the show.

my boyfriend told me his bassist was going to buy tickets and did I want to go, I needed to make up my mind because the show would surely sell out fast.

I said, yeah, I guess, if everyone else is going, I will go. but I don't think I should go! because I think that everyone there should be a fan. I don't think I deserve to go. I'll just be taking up a devotee's space.

I am not going to see pj harvey for the first time soon. she's opening for fucking u2 at the fucking tacoma dome. I actually considered going, I actually considered paying $45 for a ticket. but I didn't think I would really do it. but then it sold out and I was glad to have my mind made up for me.

I want to go see guided by voices and quasi, I think.

I saw blonde redhead recently -- they rip off a song from daydream nation, which is not sonic youth's best. I got a ticket for the steve malkmus show, which I am caring less and less about. I still haven't really listened to the album. I heard most of the songs one night when I was more interested in talking to my friends. pavement is dead, and I should just get over it. still, it will be a good show to wear new clothes to.

I'm going to d.c. in april. there's no good show at the 9:30 club that weekend.

BEST MIX TAPE AND BEST MIX CD GIVEN TO ME IN 2000:

BEST TAPE

"the gift" by s. nelson.

side a, "god, it's absolutely maudlin outside"

palo alto - radiohead
    bobby peru - luna
    seeing other people - belle & sebastian
    the true wheel - brian eno
    car radio - spoon
    paul is dead - yo la tengo
    ferdinand de saussure - magnetic fields
    life can be so nice - prince
    your face - smog
    wet firecracker - silkworm
    laughingstock - gandaddy
    malcolm's x-ray picnic - #1 cup
    calling over time - edith frost
    love without anger - devo

side b, "suddenly, rough hands gripped his package"

how fucking romantic - magnetic fields
    crimes of paris - elvis costello
    je t'aime (moi non plus) - serge gainsbourg
    anthrax - gang of four
    nighttime - big star
    the match - tsunami
    wild couple - guv'ner
    animal girl - liz phair
    don't buy the realistic - spoon
    packs of 3 - arab strap
    the hexx - pavement
    pictures from an exhibition - death cab for cutie

BEST CD

"the julie years" by r. wright.

german farmhouse - the go-betweens
    reaction - the figgs
    bohemian like you - dandy warhols
    robyn turns 26 - pavement
    nao va embora - marisa monte
    kid in candy - the spinanes
    let it bleed - caetano veloso
    she smiled sweetly - rolling stones
    and one (on one) - the lilys
    beechwood park - the zombies
    deal with the city - east river pipe
    busted afternoon - old 97s
    break my own heart tonight - whiskeytown
    somebody like you - marshall crenshaw
    dancing late at night - groovie ghoulies
    hyperactive - the donnas
    color me impressed - replacements
    money honey - bay city rollers
    I think no - whale
    didn'thave nerve to say no - blondie
    no one's little girl - raincoats

By agatha on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 11:06 pm:

those sound like good tapes, cd's.

cyst-

TAKEMETAKEMETAKEMETAKEME!

(please?)

By cyst on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 11:43 pm:

I would love to take you, but I'm being taken. the guy got four tickets -- two band members and two girlfriends. I'm going as a girlfriend. I understand how it's criminal that a non-fan is going to the show.

I just e-mailed the guy who bought the tickets to see if he has an extra. I bet not, though.

By pez on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 02:57 am:

yup, finally found the place. i went to portland thursday (yesterday i rode MAX) and found it while walking toward powell's.

i also poked around in retread threads and got a cool leslie faye dress (chinese style) for $16. i started talking with the counter girl about my backpack (way heavy) which led to knitting. then a classmate from my bio anth class at mount hood came in. guess it's a smaller world than i thought.

i'm beginning to get into the zinester scene. i emailed james squeaky (www.misterridiculous.com) and received a reply today. he's going to tell me what he thinks of my zine, once i send him a copy.

By patrick on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 12:18 pm:

i sooo need to start makin music again.

im just so reminded, by reading that list by cyst, its just so dead these days. bands like the donnas, and dandy warhols worm under my skin like an xfiles virus.

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

Those are mighty fine mixes you got there, Cyst. The songs progress well. (I like Caetano Veloso but have only heard him sing in Portuguese. Does he sing in English on "Let It Bleed" or is it an instrumental?)

Pez, I'm making your mixes (2) tonight and tomorrow. I started making their covers last night but felt woefully uninspired. I also have to think of titles and names for the sides. Muse, where art thou?

I got The Makers' "Psychopathia Sexualis" yesterday, ending a 2-year search, and I LOVE it. Pez, I forbid you to search for soundclips of its songs, because one of them is going on the mix. It's reeeeaaall catchy.

By agatha on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 12:14 am:

Cyst, tell them that they'll be sure to get laid if they take me. Don't tell them by whom, though, because they musn't know that it won't be me.

By pez on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 02:24 am:

i bought five semi-new cds this weekend. old cds, new to me.

bjork, post
    eve 6
    elwood, the parlance of our time
    ace of base, cruel summer and greatest hits

out of the mix, i think bjork is fast becoming my new favorite.

By cyst on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 12:01 pm:

agatha - that bassist guy still hasn't responded to my e-mail asking him if he had extra nick cave. my indoctrination is about to start with "from her to eternity" and "let love in." half the time I write to him he inexplicably ends up cc'ing his girlfriend on the response, so I doubt he'll respond well to any promises of anonymous sex.

rhi - veloso sings the stones cover in english.

on that mix cd, I especially love the songs by the go-betweens, lilys, whale, and the raincoats. I ended up buying the lilys album but the rest isn't as good. that's the thing about hearing bands on friends' mixes -- they usually pick the very best songs.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 12:47 pm:

have you heard early lilys music? they made a weird transformation from a melodic, spacy mybloody valentine-esq brit rock to a more lame ass indie-brit pop thing...which in my mind completely sucked ass. in the presence of nothing is a decent album....

By dave. on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

cyst, you have to try 'the firstborn is dead" and "the boatman's call" too. those two albums are his most solid and consistent, i think.

from her to eternity is a lot like the birthday party's mutiny in heaven only more stripped down.

here's a discography for the music geeks.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 07:48 pm:

i am going to see spoon at sxsw. cmj says if you like apples in stereo you will like spoon. so kev and i are definitely making that show.

we'll also be seeing i am the world trade center, red house painters, tahiti 80, pepe deluxe, david byrne (one of my all-time favorites!), and of course the detroit dj sessions. we can't see thrall because they play the same time as byrne. no contest there. i'm going to have to wrestle kev for phunk junkeez and black crowes, cuz he wants to see swearing at motorists just based on their name. if they didn't conflict, i'd be all for it. besides, he bought a crushed velvet shirt for chrissakes, so it's obvious, at least to me. well, in any case, i weigh about 25 lbs less than him but i think i can take him out in the name of music.

By George Bush speech on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 09:41 pm:

No, but I just heard George Dubyah say, "Yogi Berra once said, when you come to a fork in the road, Take it." . . . .

By cyst on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 11:00 pm:

I'm listening to the first song on "eternity" right now. I recall that I once worked with a bunch of czech kids who loved nick cave, and we listened to this stuff a lot.

I could see possibly liking if I were in high school. I could even see liking it still if I had liked it in high school.

but still.

apparently I am immune not only to tom waits but to nick cave as well.

now I'm on the second song. it's a little better.

sarah -- all the cool kids seem to like spoon. I've told the story about how I ran into david byrne on a staircase once (that's the entire story). last night my boyfriend played me an ac/dc cover by mark kozelek, that red house painters guy. thursday night before spoon you may want to see earlimart if they're close and avoid 764-hero no matter what. sounds like fun -- how long are you on the mainland for?

patrick -- I haven't heard any early lilys. a friend of mine says the second to last album is their best. he also said his ex-girlfriend recently had an affair with the singer, who has a wife and kids somewhere.

I'm going to portland in march and d.c. in april and san francisco in may.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 11:41 pm:

it definitely lacks that slacker vibe that you seem to go for, not to imply that's all you like. i still recommend 'boatman' and 'first born' and work outward from there. when i heard 'eternity', i was hugely disappointed. i thought nick cave had finally taken the plunge into that pretensious, new york, lydia lunch/pseudo snuff film, art punk scene that he had been heavily flirting with in the final years of the birthday party. it turned out he had but he and the bad seeds really managed to pull it together into an almost orchestral experience that all of that other crap pales next to.

By J on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 09:50 am:

The Phunk Junkeez are from Phoenix,I've seen them several times,I like them.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

i really wish i was about 7-8 years older than I am. Imagine all the good live music i could have sunk my teeth into.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 02:10 pm:

cunt

By J on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

I hate that word.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

a lot of people do.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

you should see the vagina monologues should it ever come to phoenix j.

the only reason i don't care for it is simply due to phoenetics. it sounds abrasive and sharp.

By cyst on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

hey, dave and agatha, y'all ok? I was about to go to the bathroom when the quake struck. then I had to hold it for an hour during the evacuation and all that. I think I'm going to go home now.

By agatha on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 03:51 pm:

We're okay. You?

By cyst on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 09:10 pm:

yeah, and post-quake I ran into that guy I thought might have an extra nick cave ticket. and he said he might. he bought a ticket for a buddy who may not be able to go. so you've got dibs if this other guy bails.

By agatha on Thursday, March 1, 2001 - 12:26 pm:

ohmygawd! that's so great. you are amazing.

By Da_Big_Daddy on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 02:53 am:

Two Words....... Avril Lavigne

By ... on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 03:22 am:

"segways" ??

By Sye on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:43 pm:

segue, maybe?

By Shawn and Dave.... St. As shower room on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:39 pm:

personally, my favorites are "kiss me" by six pence none the richer. If your in the more jumpy mood i like "since you been gone" by kelly clarkson. If your in the really powerful mood "I will always love you" by Whitney houston. If you have any more enery after that, i suggest you jack it to calm yourself down, followed by a nap.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact