Famous Blue Raincoat

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Famous Blue Raincoat
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Scott on Monday, May 4, 1998 - 02:34 am:
    by Leonard Cohen.

Yessir.

By Christopher on Monday, May 4, 1998 - 04:45 pm:
    My favorite LC tune is 'Tower of Song".

By Dave on Tuesday, May 5, 1998 - 01:25 pm:
    Jennifer Warnes did an album of Cohen covers called Famous Blue Raincoat. It's actually pretty good. If you're in that kind of mood.

By Jedi on Thursday, May 7, 1998 - 01:51 am:
    And there's also a LC tribute album featuring a smoking version of First we take manhattan (or whatever i'ts called) by REM. And I think something good from John Cale too. and theres ANOTHER good album called Tower of Song with something by Suzanne Vega, Billy Joel, and a bunch of others. totally recommendable. Leonard Cohen I think is living now in a monastery north of Los Angeles. Pretty bizarre, eh?

By Christopher on Thursday, May 7, 1998 - 05:16 am:
    It's Called " I'm Your Fan." If you're a Cohen fan, I really recommend it.

By Blindswine on Thursday, May 7, 1998 - 12:17 pm:
    i've never heard anything by Leonard Cohen, but a friend of mine says that it's basically "music-to-suck-an-exhaust-pipe by"...

sounds pretty fucking miserable...

By Jed on Saturday, May 9, 1998 - 03:43 pm:
    Well, I've had the leonard cohen best of for a while now, but only in the last few days have I learned to truly appreciate. It really IS depressing though, and I would really not recommend listening to it before attending a social event because it'll really make you a depressing pissed off pill. That's what I did last night. Althought the music was fantastic. LOTS of words to learn.

By Suzanne on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 10:25 am:
    Not to sound like a fanatic or anything, but Leonard Cohen is mah god and shit. Pretty scary.

'and jesus was a sailor/when he walked upon the water/and he spent a long time watching from his lonely wooden tower/and when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him/he said 'all men will be sailors then, until the sea shall free them'/but he himself was broken long before the sky would open/forsaken almost human/he sank beneath your wisdom like a stone'

i fucking LOVE him.

By Sheila on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 08:47 pm:
    i love Leonard Cohen.

By Kelsey on Friday, June 5, 1998 - 01:18 am:
    i love that song. have you heard that jennifer warnes/leonard cohen tribute album? it's great. another one of my favorite leonard cohen covers is "suzanne" as sung by nina simone. it's perfect.

By Kelsey on Friday, June 5, 1998 - 01:20 am:
    oh, jeez. i didn't read all those other posts before i posted that. ummm, nevermind.

By Nelly on Saturday, June 27, 1998 - 01:53 am:
    Thank you for reminding me about Leonard Cohen. A long time ago, i heard Songs of Love and Hate on the radio and it was a transcendent moment. But I wasn't buying things then and never got the record. Now I have it.... my favorite of the moment (maybe for always) has to be Joan of Arc. What a strange little fable.

By Kelsey on Saturday, June 27, 1998 - 07:15 pm:
    joan of arc has made me weep on several occasions, i must confess.

By Jill on Monday, August 31, 1998 - 03:03 am:

For me in answer to those who are talking 'joan of arc' - it is the very best, my favourite, an amazing and intimate work, which shows the genious of Leonard Cohen

By Spider on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

Now the flames they followed Joan of Arc
    as she came riding through the dark;
    no moon to keep her armour bright,
    no man to get her through this very smoky night.
    She said, "I'm tired of the war,
    I want the kind of work I had before,
    a wedding dress or something white
    to wear upon my swollen appetite."
    Well, I'm glad to hear you talk this way,
    you know I've watched you riding every day
    and something in me yearns to win
    such a cold and lonesome heroine.
    "And who are you?" she sternly spoke
    to the one beneath the smoke.
    "Why, I'm fire," he replied,
    "And I love your solitude, I love your pride."

"Then fire, make your body cold,
    I'm going to give you mine to hold,"
    saying this she climbed inside
    to be his one, to be his only bride.
    And deep into his fiery heart
    he took the dust of Joan of Arc,
    and high above the wedding guests
    he hung the ashes of her wedding dress.

It was deep into his fiery heart
    he took the dust of Joan of Arc,
    and then she clearly understood
    if he was fire, oh then she must be wood.
    I saw her wince, I saw her cry,
    I saw the glory in her eye.
    Myself I long for love and light,
    but must it come so cruel, and oh so bright?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact