"H.M.S. Pinafore"

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: "H.M.S. Pinafore"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Me............ on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 01:35 pm:

*I am the captain of the Pinafore, and a right good captain, too. I'm very,very good, and be it understood-I demand a right good crew....

Chorus: "He's very,very good, and be it understood-he demands a right good crew !!"*

Thank you...

By Ivle on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 01:50 pm:

For some reason...after reading this...I know have the "Good Ship Lollipop" stuck in my head....

By Me................ on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 01:58 pm:

Not even close, Ivle....* So give three cheers and one cheer more, for the hardy captain of the Pinafore,........So, give three cheers and one cheer, more, for the hardy captain of the Pinafore.*
    Whoa......I got so excited about getting a response that I forgot to start that with,*I'm hardly ever sick at sea !!*

Rogers and Hammerstein, I think.....

By Ivle on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 02:00 pm:

Noooo...I was just saying that for some reason after reading the lyrics to this song..."H.M.S. Pinafore." I now have the lyrics to "Good Ship Lollipop" in my head (if it's even a song). I'm sorry to say I have never heard this Pinafore song before.

By Me......... on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 02:03 pm:

You're lucky to never have heard it-it would be haunting you to this day........and yes, 'Good Ship Lollipop' IS a song-ya know-Shirley Temple ??

By Ivle on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 02:06 pm:

I know Shirley Temple...well...not personally but of her. Sometimes though...it's like I have a song in my head that no one has ever sang before and then a couple of days/weeks/months later I hear it on the radio...gosh...that totally freaks me out. Ever happen to anyone else?

By Pirate Mel on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 02:30 pm:

Don't think I've ever heard H.M.S Pinafore, so the first thing that came to my head was Gilbert & Sullivan. When Ivle mentioned "lollipop", that song immediately popped into my head, in all its Shirley Temple cuteness.

But it was easily overtaken by:

I am the very model of a modern Major General!

I know the Kings of England, and quote the fights historical!
    From Marathon to Waterloo , in order categorical!
    I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical!
    I understand equations, both simple and quadratical!
    About binomial theorom I'm teeming with a lot o' news!
    With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.!

Quite bracing, I think.

By Nelly on Friday, November 27, 1998 - 01:39 am:

Isn't it Pinafore that has...

"I'm called little Buttercup, dear little Buttercup
    Though I could never tell why
    But still I'm called Buttercup
    Poor little Buttercup
    Sweet little Buttercup I!

I've snuff and tobaccy..."

don't remember the rest of it, ribbons and laces to tie up the faces of pretty young somethings and wives...

that was one of the first songs I learned on the piano.

But the best Gilbert and Sullivan, imo, is The Mikado, for lyrical brilliance:

"Is it weakness of intellect, Birdie," I cried,
    "Or a rather tough worm in your little inside?"
    With a shake of his poor little head he replied:
    "Oh willow, tit willow, tit willow."

the tunes are real hummable too

By Nelly on Friday, November 27, 1998 - 01:44 am:

Oh, just found this G & S site, with the lyrics and midi files and everything:

Gilbert and Sullivan Archive

what it has to do with math is anyone's guess

By Joanne on Friday, November 27, 1998 - 11:29 am:

suddenly reminded of the school production of the Pirates of Penzance. I was in the chorus, but I was going out with the general and between us we screwed up his cue, when they all sing "hush hush the major general comes". he didn't, but they had to sing it three times before he got on stage

By Me............. on Monday, November 30, 1998 - 11:47 am:

Oh, my gosh-Pirate Mel-You're right !!It IS Gilbert & Sullivan !!!! I cringe in embarassment !
    And-Yes, Yes! Dear Nelly-the 'Buttercup' song IS from HMS Pinafore.............Very good ! Okay,now, let's ALL sing : *I'm called Little Buttercup, Dear Little Buttercup, though I could never tell why.............*

By Lt jg on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 07:21 pm:

For he himself has said it,
    And it's greatly to his credit,
    That he is an Englishman,
    That he is an Englishman.

Just bought the soundtrack.

By Dougie on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

What never?
    No never!
    What never?
    Well, hardly ever!

By M. Burns on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 07:31 pm:

Excellent.....

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact