My Little Brother Burned Me A CD

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: My Little Brother Burned Me A CD
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 11:21 am:

At least he didn't title it "I love you, God Bless." He is saying God Bless a lot, which I've not commented on to him. I'm glad he's high on god's love and all, but yick.
    Anyway, I call him Flipper and he sent me this cd he burned for me which he's cleverly titled "Flipsides."
    1. Meet Virginia Train (?)
    2. Runaround Blues Traveller
    3. Light My Fire Pearl Jam
    4. River of Deceit Mad Season
    5. Chloe Dancer/Crown of Mother Love Bone
    Thorns
    6. Otherside RHCP
    7. Like Suicide Soundgarden
    8. Kryptonite Three Doors Down
    9. One Creed
    10. Learn to Fly Foo Fighters
    11. Everlong Foo Fighters
    12. Voodoo Godsmack
    13. Blossom Candlebox
    14. Brother Alice in Chains

By Margret on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 11:30 am:

Damn, you know, I always want to hate the Chilis, and I've never been able to. Used to be on account of Flea, but then when they got John Frusciante to play guitar it was because he has such a sparing, poetic sense of less is more with the guitar, and worked so well with Flea's incredible rhythm sense. Damn, this song is good.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 12:19 pm:

i hate the them real easy

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 12:37 pm:

Say, Margret, are you familiar with the music of Jeff Buckley?

By Margret on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 12:44 pm:

nope. should i be?

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 12:51 pm:

Maybe not.

I think he was from So-CA but lived in NYC, but for some reason I always associate him with NW music.

I finally got his 1994 album, "Grace," this weekend. It's so fucking beautiful.

Have a listen

By semillama on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

Just Like Suicide is my absolute favorite Soundgarden tune, I love playing it.

Frusciante is one of my big role models, musically (not in lifestyle, though - although he's probably healthier right now than I am). Chad Smith is another reason to like the Chili's, as he is one of the most solid drummers around.

By J on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 01:53 pm:

God I,m old,I remember Tim Buckley,Jeff,s dad.He was good.

By Margret on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 01:56 pm:

The surprise so far has been Everlong by Foo Fighters. I always thought that if I could here the song under sustained attention, it would crumble. I thought it sounded like something by Alan Parsons circa 1983 or so, and that's a good thing. AND I LOVE IT. I have it on repeat. It is subtle and thoughtful, but not thereby thin or passionless. It has a mournful undertow and masterful engineering/arrangement.
    I have always liked Chad.
    Foo Fighters are opening for RHCP here, and I didn't go buy tickets because I don't like the orgiastic umwelt at larger venues.
    This is some extremely measured and sexy bass/guitar interaction on Otherside. Dang.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 03:21 pm:

Yeah, Rhiannon, Jeff Buckley was great. My fav on that album is Hallelujah. I think he died right before recording his second album -- he waded into a river in Tennessee or something and drowned.

By Margret on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 03:37 pm:

>>The facts then as they are: Thursday night, May 29, Buckley was hanging out with a friend at the Mud Island Harbour marina, half a mile inland off the Mississippi River in Memphis, Tennessee. He and the friend were listening to a stereo and playing a guitar when Buckley waded, fully clothed, waist-high into the water. He started singing and laid back on the water, when a boat went by causing waves to come in to the shore.

The friend on shore turned his back to move the stereo away from the incoming waves and when he turned around, he couldn’t see Buckley. After a 10-minute search, the friend called local police. The Memphis police department began dragging the waters that night and continued to do so - for two days afterward. Harsh rains hampered their search efforts. They also checked, in vain, on the chance of him having wandered out the water. Friends were contacted and people in the area of the marina questioned. They came up with nothing.

Jeff Buckley simply vanished.

He was found three days later by passengers on a steam boat, who saw a body in an Altamont T-shirt tangled up in some branches on the riverside, near Harbor Island.

He was 30 years old.<<

Got that from, umm, this page:

http://www.execpc.com/JeffBuckley/bio.html

By Rrr on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 03:52 pm:

Jeff buckley is the greatest musician who almost was. I mean he was, but wasn't what he was to be become. I think Grace was a bit better than My Sweetheart The Drunk but hey, it wasn't bad for a posthumous album was it. Hopefully there are a few other tracks lying around his studio that will waft out sometime.....

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 06:17 pm:

I so love "Grace." SO love it. Every song on there makes me want to cry with joy at the beauty of that lovely man's voice. You bet your ass he's up in heaven singing with the angels.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact