Dancing Barefoot

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Dancing Barefoot
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By JusMiceElf on Monday, June 5, 2000 - 10:50 pm:

she is benediction
    she is addicted to thee
    she is the root connection
    she is connecting with he

here I go and I don't know why
    I fell so ceaselessly
    could it be he's taking over me...

I'm dancing barefoot
    heading for a spin
    some strange music draws me in
    makes me come on like some heroin/e

Last night, I went to go see Patti Smith in concert. I'd never seen her before, and only really know a few of her songs, but from all I've heard, I expected a good show, and was not disappointed.

The show was at the Mass Museum of Contemporary Art (Mass MoCA), in North Adams. North Adams is a depressed milltown in the northwest corner of the state, more accessible from Albany than from anywhere in Massachusetts. The Mass MoCA just opened this year, transforming a long vacant collection of factory buildings into a cutting edge museum. I didn't get to see the museum itself, but what I saw of the infrastructure was impressive. The lights in the parking lot are perched atop steel collumns, made of four vertical members and zigzagging cross pieces, kind of like a railroad trestle.

The concert itself too place in a courtyard, surrounded by massive brick and stone buildings. I missed the opening band, Gloria Deluxe, and wandered around until Patti and her band took the stage. The stage itself was set with two vases of roses, and several candles. On a table near the drum riser were some books of poetry which Patti read from during the show.

Patti Smith is an amazing performer. Her songs are so full of emotion, and performs with her whole body. During Dancing Barefoot, Patti lowered herself off of the stage into the crowd, then pulled herself back up, hand over hand, using her mic stand. She had a few unguarded moments, like when she told the audience to brush their teeth daily, "so when the revolution comes, you won't be caught with bad teeth." Or when the band started Because the Night, and Patti missed her cue; she brought the mic stand back about three feet, said "this is take two," and launched into the song.

Patti played for over two hours. She ended the set with Gung Ho, the title track of her new album, a long piece, mixing singing and spoken word. By the time she started the song, it was nearly dark, and the clouds gave everything an ominous cast. Towards the end of the song, Patti was nearly whispering, and the band played a subdued backing. The only lighting were two blue lights from behind, and spots on Patti from the towers. As she ended the song, she led the band into The People Have the Power; the audience started chanting, and suddenly the lights came up, briefly illuminating the whoe audience.

Patti and the band came back for a three song encore, ending with Gloria. As the audience danced and cheered and sang along, Patti tore the strings off of her guitar with her hands. She ended shortly after that, amid much applause.

I managed to get right up by the stage, which was great, because I could watch Patti moving as she sang, and see the emotion in her face. By the time I left, my right ear was buzzing, and only stopped ringing sometime this afternoon.

It was amazing that the rain held off during the show; on the way over, I drove through a storm. At one point, the rain was coming down so hard that I was afraid I'd have to pull over and wait it out, but I passed through that part of the storm after a few minutes. Late in the show, the stage lights highlighted a light drizzle that was falling, but I felt no raindrops on me.

By JusMiceElf on Monday, June 5, 2000 - 10:55 pm:

ps the yiddish word for barefoot is borvis. in norwegian it's bare fus.

By Gee on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 07:23 pm:

I really Really need to get one of her albums.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 08:23 pm:

patti rocks

By patrick on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 08:24 pm:

i always hoped her and lou reed would hook up and form the rock mega couple of the world but he and laurie anderson did instead, she is kinda of a drag

By Margret on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 08:38 pm:

Oh.
    Oh oh oh.
    Shut up, you philistine.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 11:02 pm:

Aye.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 11:20 pm:

Patti rocks big time. Gee, you really need to get most of her albums. Go see Sam The Record Man. Start with Horses.

By N on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 12:44 am:

never was too impressed with either Patti or Laurie but having never seen Patti maybe missed something but Meredith Monk is the real deal

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 09:38 am:

I don't like Patti's music at all. Her lyrics, yes. Her...persona, if you will...yes. But as soon as she starts singing, I lose interest.

That's also how it is with Tori Amos, except for the opposite reason. She plays very well and some of her songs are pretty, but her lyrics are cringe-inducing and so I can't bear to hear her sing. I like when she does covers, though.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 11:23 am:

i like it when she humps her piano bench.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 01:11 pm:

philistine?
    me?
    pffffft!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact