killing heidi "mascara"

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: killing heidi "mascara"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By pez on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

how come there aren't many good girl-led bands these days. garbage and no doubt seem to have dropped out of the picture for a while. the bangles are a thing of the past. don't even think of mentioning britney spears.

By agatha on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 08:29 pm:

you want girl bands? there's a million of them! i'll list some if you want.

By pez on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 12:59 am:

thanx. i get so tired of beastie boys, fig dish, and pearl jam. please do, because the radio is getting on my nerves.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 12:49 pm:

slant 6 is one of my favorites

a few others come to mind...

Slater Kinney (ughhhh but HEY girl band)

Cat Power (again...ughhh but HEY girl band)

The Donnas (again...silly sparkly glitter tee wearing Ramone rip offs but they gotta be better than Garbage or No Doubt)

actually you'd probably really like those 3 bands..

more local acts Texas Terri and The Stiff Ones, she's Iggy with taped up tits...im not sure how well their stuff is available. Mia Doi Todd, Betty Blowtorch, 3rd Grade Teacher, Leather Hyman...all female lead groups.

pez if you rely on the mainstream media to get your music....you're gonna get the corn-fed poop like garbarge and no doubt. open you eyes.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

"corn-fed poop like garbarge"

I like garbarge, and garbage too, at least their albums. I heard them live on Letterman and that was pretty disheartening though. Shirley Manson's hot.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

Don't worry. Pez's mixes are on their way.

No all-girl groups, though. I think the only female vocalist on there is Mary Timony from Helium.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:05 pm:

well dougie you did introduce your ass here by slamming the whole genre of rap....so...you know, it's hard to qualify your opinions on the matter, but OK!

By pez on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

i want to be shirley manson so i can be confident enough to wear short short skirts.

i have imani coppola (a female pop-rapper) and kittie around here somewhere. poe is also in my collection, but sometimes i have to go back to the old classics to get some good girl sound: i usually can't remember the names, however.

hrm. i better go back to practicing piano. if i can renew my skills and learn some guitar, i might be able to find some people to play with.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

garbage & rap? I fail to see the correlation.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

you knocked rap as a genre once before.

so whether or not you think Garbage is quality music is really moot.

"i want to be shirley manson so i can be confident enough to wear short short skirts."

since when is self confidence derived from pop stars?

you speak of all these other issues, such as the male/female roles, pressures of the media on a girl and stares of guys.

unless im overlooking the sarcasm in your statement here....im totally confused, as it seems you are too.

i bet shirly gets lots of stares from boys, in her mini skirts, i bet she enjoys every damn bit of it too.

By pez on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

that reminds me, i need to find ekova. thank you, that has some good soundsto to it and they have at least a semi-instrumental on the album! any band that does a decent instrumental is droolworthy.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:50 pm:

Patrick, what the hell are you talking about? Dougie can disparage Garbage if he wants to. And rap. It's when you *like* crap that your credibility goes down.

I don't like much of Garbage either. But I do like some rap. Dougie, you should listen to Outkast's song "Gasoline Dreams." As the Sewer Urchin would say, "Aw, neat."

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

I forgot: Scrawl is a good girl-led band.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:15 pm:

i stole a bunch of silent poets off the internet last night.

they aren't girls, but sometimes girls sing!

i've noticed, patrick, that you tend to like bands that have low production values.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:18 pm:

thats silly

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

Yeah, what she said, Patrick.

Thanks, Rhiannon. Actually, Patrick was disparaging Garbage, calling them "corn-fed poop", whatever that means; I like them, however.

Will check out your recommendations. And do check out that link above -- even if you don't know a lick of french, it's still a great listen.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

its easy music in all respects.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

Whoops. Did I insult you, then, Dougie? I didn't mean to. I meant to pick on Patrick for acting like you're not qualified to give your opinion. Don't do that, Patrick.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

yessum

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

(At least partially) instrumental bands that will kick your ass:

**DON CABALLERO**
    **The Dirty Three** oh, yeah!
    *Slint's "Tweez" album and the untitled single
    *Phylr (ex-Cop Shoot Cop...industrial-ish)
    *Rachel's
    *Paul Newan (not the actor)
    *Big Lazy (formerly known as Lazy Boy)

...lots more...

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

Nope, you didn't insult me at all, Rhiannon.

Neither did Patrick, hard as he tried.

Garbage is hardcore pop. A new twist on an old formula. Easy or not, I like it.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

Good.

And it's Paul Newman. Sea & Cake are nice, too.

If you like hardcore pop, try the Dambuilders' first album, Encendedor. It's pop, but it's substantive and intelligent, and you won't feel bad for liking them.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

I just saw the dirty three playing with nick cave last week. and I saw them on their own in the fall.

my boyfriend sort of wants to see the soft boys, but I doubt I will go because I loathe robyn hitchcock.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

you like tortoise, rhi?

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

A little. I've only heard "TNT," which mostly sounds like glorified elevator music, but it has its moments.

Friends of mine who had never heard the Dirty Three before seeing them with Nick Cave in New York are now desperate to buy their albums. David Yow of the Jesus Lizard, according to an interview I read, has seen the Dirty Three over 40 times, and he's cried at every show.

Pez, you're getting one Dirty Three song.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 04:38 pm:

"standards" is supposed to be good. I don't remember what tortoise or the sea and cake sound like, but people I know who like one always like the other. that chicago math rock scene thing.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

subject-verb agreement error. correction: I don't remember what tortoise or the sea and cake sounds like...

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 04:58 pm:

ive also read good things about the new tortoise album. my friends in atlanta...Seely were produced by John McEntire of tortoise....godfather of that whole "math rock scene". he also produced the last few stereolab albums.

I saw them in atlanta several years ago. they were great. i only have their first album, whose title slips my mind.

I don't think Sea and Cake are as good as tortoise...and further a band that precedes tortoise that i think is the best of them all is Gastr del Sol.

but i also think their music can be pretentious as well.

I hope when i go to Chicago in May I see some math rock.

one of my favorite chicago groups...not a part of the math rock scene is this cat named Bobby Conn. We played a gig with him and a million other bands at this weekend long experimental/rock fest. I just remeber he wore a big wig, a butterfly collar jacket with big ass brown shaded jackets and blasted this seemingly repetative song "Im Bobby Conn...Im Bobby Conn....I'm Bobby Conn!!!!!!!"

By dave. on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

girl-fronted bands:

geraldine fibbers
    jessamine
    lucky me

those 3 are about all i listen to that feature women.

By dave. on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 05:15 pm:

i'm getting sick of music.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

I was considering spending $50 on a fucking u2 ticket in tacoma in order to see pj harvey for the first time. but it sold out before I made up my mind. thank god.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

i didnt know jessamine was girl fronted. it's been a long time since i looked at the linear notes. i don't like the geraldine fibbers as much as i like nels and his various bands. I saw them in san fran...i dunno, something about her voice that bothers me like that gal from cat power...just annoying.

some others i thought of for you pez...patti smith, nico, kendra smith, mazzy star.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

kendra's band opal was great.

are "roman holiday" and "sabrina" the only films in which audrey hepburn played an ingenue who cut off her hair in a big european city?

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 05:44 pm:

Some more bands with girls in them is Nashvile Pussy, Kitty, Babes in Toyland. And theres also Jack Off Jill.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 05:54 pm:

there ya ago.

yeah if your lookin for girl power....the 2 gals in Nashville Pussy would put hair on the chest of 10 year old boy.

By pez on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

i like garbage because it's a lot more honest than most of the stuff that's on now. i want music than i can relate to, no more soulless blowfish! (never liked them) but so much bmusic is getting to be like them, no message, nothing to say but adore me i am your god and you must worship my voice by buying cds and concert tickets. at an altar of cds and vinyl.

i want something better to worship. music is my soul and i hunger to fill it with good quality. to quote the rockbiter, the rocks are empty.

actually, that reminds me, rhi...i need to check the mail.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

The Carpenters is a girl-fronted band, you might check them out. They're kind of retro.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

i'm hungry

By pez on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 07:26 pm:

hrm. i've got the cardigans, but most sweidish bands (of late) seem to drop completely out of sight after two albums, then suddenly reappear about four years later.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 07:42 pm:

its better that way.

THINK

Abba

By agatha on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 08:09 pm:

two ton boa
    the kostars
    the gossip
    vandemonium (my sister's band)
    mirah
    cadallaca (i love them)
    lois
    barbara manning
    scrawl
    vomit launch
    kristin hersh
    rebecca pearcy
    seven year bitch
    sick bees
    the botswanas
    geraldine fibbers (x100000000)
    lucinda williams (not punk, but still awesome)

that's about all i can think of right at this moment, but i'll be back with more.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 08:22 pm:

i don't know what to tell you people. i'm listening to john hammond doing tom waits' "buzz fledderjohn" on acoustic guitar and harmonica.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 08:48 pm:

women musicians (and their bands) other people seem to like:

neko case
    lauryn hill
    laika
    aimee mann
    portishead
    liz phair
    broadcast
    pram
    royal trux
    stereolab

By dave. on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 10:09 pm:

i thought of a couple more. my old landlord and friend's band, ring. they have an album called "colony" which is pretty good.

i'm not a big luscious jackson fan but the kostars (up on agatha's list), a side project thingy, put out an album that was pretty darn good. it even had ween as co-stars.

i think of jessamine as a girl band mostly because i think dawn's singing and bass playing is integral to the sound. even though she doesn't sing every song, she sings most of them and those are the best songs usually. also, jessamine are not portishead clones. many people who hear them draw that comparison. they're way better in an organic kind of way.

carla bozulich can sing the flesh right off of you, patrick. she's pretty damn hot, too.

By pez on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 11:27 pm:

lauryn hill's pretty good but she seems to have dropped out of the picture. i gave her cd to my sister one christmas and she loved it.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 12:51 am:

i hear she doesn't like white people and would prefer that white people don't listen to or buy her music.

** the previous statement was not based on any verifiable source. just something my buddy heard and passed on to me. **

By agatha on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 02:32 am:

yeah, i like neko case, too. she's from tacoma.

By moonit on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 05:30 am:

Pez - email me - and i will send you a kiwi mix cd.

Rhi - got candy yet?

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 09:44 am:

No! Or wait...maybe: I haven't checked my mail since Monday. Pez, as I am smack-worthy, I mailed your package on Saturday, so it probably hasn't gotten to you yet.

"I wanna tell you about my home town. It's a dusty old jewel in the south Pugett Sound. Where factories churn, and the timber's all cut down, and life goes by slow in Tacoma."

I love that song.

By Pug on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 10:39 am:

CHEE-RIST, people....must we put off the obvious????

L7
    Bikini Kill
    Bratmobile
    The Muffs
    Helium
    The Breeders and any other fucking band Kim Deal was ever in
    Whale
    The Cranes
    And as long as someone had the good taste to mention the Donnas, what about their prototype....THE RUNAWAYS??????
    Yep....I'm an old fart, alright....
    Belly
    Throwing Muses(more on the gentle side)
    Salem 66 (old Boston Jangle rockers)
    And, of course---THE DICTATORS!!!!!!!!
    (Okay----there are no girls in the Dictators----but the Dictators always deserve to be mentioned whenever music is discussed)
    Patti Smith, Nico, Marianne Faithful----all good choices....
    OH!!!!! Check out DIAMANDA GALAS-----but ONLY! ONLY!!!!!! If you have nerves of steel.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 10:54 am:

Heh heh heh. Pug, you must have ESP....Pez is going to hear Diamanda Galas for the first time when she gets my mixes!! I shiver with anticipation!

Pez, you are absolutely forbidden to do any research on Ms. Galas until you first hear the song on the mix. No searching for soundclips, no searching for articles, no talking to people about her....you must have virgin ears when you meet her on tape. Got that, sister?

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 10:56 am:

And damnit, if I recall, the last 5 seconds of the song got cut off. But you'll have gotten the idea. Hee hee!

By Pug on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 11:12 am:

OK, Rhiannon------
    What'd you send her....?????

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 11:36 am:

I don't have the lists with me, but I sent her two 120-minute tapes full of music she'll never hear on the radio. Actually, nothing too shocking (except for Diamanda, of course) is on there...it's more of a "why isn't this stuff on the radio? It's leagues better than anything currently getting airplay" kind of catalog.

Ummm...Skeleton Key, Mark Lanegan, Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Elliot Smith, Mule, Scratch Acid, Tom Waits, Fugazi, Tsunami, Helium, Pulp, Sebadoh, Girls Against Boys, Firewater, Cop Shoot Cop, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, ummmmm, Brainiac, old Nirvana...can't remember what else.

This is just supposed to be an introduction to what else is out there besides Crazytown(!). Just a taste.

By cyst on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 01:02 pm:

I thought we were only supposed to list bands that are still around. I thought that's why we were listing kristin hersh instead of throwing muses, tanya donnelly instead of belly, etc. but I think I heard the breeders were going to get back together.

but if not, then add young marble giants and cocteau twins and blondie and the vaselines and cub and tsunami and guv'ner and elastica and veruca salt and the raincoats and liliput and the slits. and the supremes!

I've only heard one whale song, but it's really good. no one's little girl.

the only bands I listen to nowadays are pj harvey (I've been in a pj phase since 1993) and the monks. I thought I was going to fall asleep at that guided by voices show last friday and at that nick cave show last thursday.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

I put PJ Harvey on there, too. "To Bring You My Love."

You like her new album, cyst? With the exception of 3-4 songs, I don't.

By J on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 01:41 pm:

I try to keep up with things,but I just realized that Nick Cave you all talk about use to be with The Seeds(?),one of my first 45's was "Your Pushing to Hard".I'm going to take a valuim,just for fun.I guess it's all good that I still love Adam Ant.Maybe?

By cyst on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

I would probably be a bit more generous about her new album. I'm ok with about half of it.

the very worst one is "the whores hustle and the hustlers whore" song. yuck.

I love the "good fortune" single and the "rooftop in brooklyn" song, and I like the thom yorke duet. (oh, I guess that is just three songs.) I think one of the sorabji entry quotes (it's a little bit you, it's a little bit me" is a line in the last song on that album.

By J on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

It's a little bit you,it's a little bit me was also in a song by the Monkees.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

*cyst: I think I liked "horses in my dreams," "we float" (I know I liked that one), and "a place called home." I haven't listened to the CD in a couple months, though.

*j: it's Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I still like Adam Ant, too.

*I saw another Paul Bernardo entry quote yesterday, which disturbed me.

*a sort-of friend from England just sent me two mix CDs he made, and one has these 3 Belgian bands on there that I like a lot: Soulwax, dEUS (which I always thought was a heavy-metal band), and Evil Superstars. They all remind me of a band my brother likes called the Faint....they've got that same '80s Atari-soundtrack-like sound. The other CD is full of American alt-country. Funny how that appeals to him so much. He knows more about it than I do. (Though I see he is as taken with Will Oldham as I am. He gets points for that.)

By pez on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 04:51 pm:

ok, no research. i will remain naive until the arrival of the tapes.

am listening to kittie. yayness.

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 12:12 am:

Speaking of Swedish bands, there's Garmarna. The only woman in the band is Emma Hardelin, the singer, but hooooooboy! Not too many bands have the balls to rock out with a hurdy gurdy *and* a lute. And make it sound like that's how they were intended to be played. Check out their first full length album, Vitraad. The first notes of the first song on that always get me.

By pez on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 01:31 am:

jaw-harp, rock, shakuhachi, norweigian violin, ney, digereedoo.

By droopy on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 02:27 am:

there's an article about the donnas in this weeks new yorker.

By Pug on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 10:59 am:

Rhiannon----I meant what did you send her by Diamanda?
    Oh----yes yes yes on Veruca Salt----the new alb is KILLER.
    I really dug PJ Harvey back circa "Rid of Me"/"Man Size"/"50 Foot Queenie"---"Big, Black Monsoon"(I know that's not the actual song title)---w/her original band....after that I'm not overtly familiar---I just always think she's kind of a cool figure----
    OH! PEZ! Check out Shonen Knife....
    J: Yeah, Nick Cave came substantially AFTER the Seeds. My personal faves of his: "From Her to Eternity", "The Firstborn is Dead", "Your Funeral/My Trial", "Murder Ballads", "Tender Prey"...."Henry's Dream" has a few titanic moments. Last album I'm aware of him putting out is "The Boatman's Call"----which, to be honest, I didn't especially care for.
    He was previously in a band called The Birthday Party---a band I really love, but like Diamanda----for strong stomachs.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 11:54 am:

Oh, my apologies. "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?" off of "the Singer," which is the only album of Diamanda's I have.

I really, really like Nick Cave's "Papa Won't Leave You, Henry" off of "Henry's Dream." But "Murder Ballads" is the only Nick Cave album I have. So..."From Her to Eternity" is a good recommendation?

I also gave Pez the Birthday Party's "The Friend Catcher."

PJ Harvey's "Rid of Me" is my favorite out of her albums.

Maybe I should have given Pez some Dead Can Dance? I have every one of their albums, but really only like "Aion" and "Spleen and Ideal" -- from their Medieval period. Their tribal stuff is all right, but I'll take "The Promised Womb" over "The Spider's Stratagem" any day. It also helps that "Aion"'s cover is a detail of Hieronymus Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights."

Pez, here is an assignment for you if you'd like:

Go here and listen to the soundclips, and tell me if you like what you hear.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 11:55 am:

My head is broken today. Too many meetings.

By patrick on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

they arent THAT great droopy but they have been getting a lot of attention for some reason. everyno and then, we get the honor of seeing L7 play...they live in my neighborhood and play local festivals and what not....the Donnas don't add up to the dirt under L7s finger nails.

By Pug on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 12:43 pm:

Rhiannon----
    "From Her to Eternity" might still be my favorite Cave/Seeds alb, hands down. Check it out, then tell me what you think.
    For my money, anything except "The Boatman's Call" is at least GOOD.
    OH FUCK. I have "The Singer"....it doesn't even BEGIN to cover Diamanda....
    For hardcore Galas, check out "The Plague Mass", "Vena Cava", "The Litanies of Satan" (her interpretation of Baudelaire's poem)---This stuff is HARROWING,btw---"Masque of the Red Death" is a fave as is her collaboaration w/John Paul Jones---"The Sporting Life".
    Me, Crimson & my ex-roomie/co-producer caught L7 opening for Manson in Springfield, MO back in '97....sadly we only caught the last two songs----the obligatory "Pretend we're Dead" and the showstopper, "Nicola..."--killer, Wish we'd caught the whole set.
    An ex of mine had an ex-BF/roommmate who used to date their bassist, Jennifer Finch----but she was out of the band at that point----so it wasn't like we could name-drop the guy and get backstage....
    Finch said that their experience on Lolapalooza was miserable....they dubbed it "Dollop of Losers". Altho she said the only person on that tour who was good to them was George Clinton of P-Funk....no big shock. George rules....
    ALTHO Nick Cave did speak highly of L7.

By droopy on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 12:43 pm:

never heard them, patrick. just sharing. i am completely incapable of following every little nuance of every new band that comes out. this is why i'd rather listen to lil johnson from 1936.

take is easy, greasy, love me 'til i get enough
    take it easy, greasy, now baby, don't get so rough
    the jaybird say to the peckerwood
    i'll let you peck it like a pecker should
    so take it easy, greasy, love me 'til i get enough
    i got to have it, love me 'til i get enough

By dave. on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 01:10 pm:

haven't we been through this?

boatman calls and firstborn are a fanfuckingtastic albums. her to eternity isn't.

the birthday party rules.

By cyst on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

"rid of me" may be the best album by anyone ever.

last night I just remembered I like a band called transistor. chick singer.

By pez on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 12:01 pm:

i'll have to listen to the sound clips later. i have't gone to school yet and i have class in an hour.

By cyst on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

transister, not transistor. today I'm going to try using the mouse with my left hand. it's slow going.

By Pug on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 04:42 pm:

Dave, I haven't listening to "Boatman" since I got it----always stands a chance of growing on me, I guess.....it's happened before----happened w/"Tender Prey", "The Good Son".....
    "Eternity" still might be my favorite, tho.
    A couple of you were mentioning catching Cave recently...how was it?
    Is Blixa Bargeld still with him?
    Just picked up the new Toadies alb as I write this I'm about 10 songs into it and not one bad song yet....goddamn. Why did this take them 6 or 7 years to put out?????
    Einsturzende Neubauten(Speaking of Blixa) have a new one, too....looks like a double set.
    I could jizz, right now....

By Dougie on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

I've got that theme from the Drew Carey show going through my head, but everytime it comes to this certain line, I hear:

"All the little chicks
    With the crimson dicks *
    Go Cleveland Rocks
    Clevland Rocks..."

* dicks should be lips, but dicks seems like it rhymes better. Hey Patrick, you like rap, hence you're an expert on rhyming, what do you think -- dicks or lips?

By Pug on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 06:57 pm:

I can feel Ian Hunter doing Exorcist-style bedspins in his grave....and the ironic thing is, I'm not sure he's even dead....

By pez on Saturday, April 7, 2001 - 01:00 am:

i have the piano music for that.

By J on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 10:39 am:

Crimson hips,like you've been spanking them.Crimson pimps,chimps,limps,flips,trips.Eh?

By pez on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 01:19 am:

rhi!

i got your mixes today. i haven't listened to them yet because it's late and i just got home from work. i like the covers though, tintin is tres cool esp. if you can find the comix in french.

i'm going to dye my hair tomorrow and i'll listen to them then.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 02:17 am:

for reasons i can't explain, "deathless horsie" hasn't been running through my mind all night. like something triggered a dormant memory. i haven't heard that album in years.

FZ

By Pug on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 09:56 am:

Tintin....avec le chien....Milou. (Snowy in English)
    What were the cops' names? Dupont et Dupond....(Thompson and Thomson, I THINK)

By pez on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

i think tintin and snowy were the abbott and costello of french comix. they weren't neccessarily funny, but they did get around.

am listening to the tapes, haven't gotten very far yet, but i like what i hear.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

You're right, Pug! "thomson...without a P...as in 'Venezuela'..." The band called the Thompson twins was named after them.

Mi piace molto il piccolino Snowy. I don't know French, sorry. Captain Haddock just ROCKS.

You're making me happy, Pez. How far have you gotten? And I want details...what do you like and why?

By pez on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 01:18 am:

i listened to it all when i was working on the computer and cleaning my room. not particularly attentive, because i've gotten used to putting cds on random and looking at the numbers when a song interests me.

no particular song title sticks in my mind except "the piano is drunk" or somesuch, but i know it's by tom waits.

it was quite a bit different from what i expected...i was thinking hardrock/hardcore, but this is a lot easier to deal with.

i'll prolly listen to it for hours and hours on friday and give you a better post on my reaction.

thank you, though, the music is good, and i like it.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 09:38 am:

You're very welcome. If you don't like anything on there, I want to hear about that, too.

By pez on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

i'll let you knwo. :)

By Pug on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 10:12 pm:

I wish Captain Haddock was my Dad.

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 12:47 am:

I was Captain Haddock for Halloween one year. Does that make me your dad, Pug?

I also liked Thompson with a P as in psycology. I think my favorite books were Cigars of the Pharoah and The Blue Lotus, which I originally got in German on a trip overseas with my grandparents.

On another trip, with my parents, I bought two bowls with a picture of the Thompson Twins. They were from a tea set. Each piece had a different picture from The Blue Lotus. Someday, I'd love to find the rest of that set.

By Pug on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 08:36 am:

I'm a "Red Sea Sharks" man, myself....

By Rhiannon on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 09:42 am:

I like the Secret of the Unicorn and the Red Sea Sharks and Red Rackham's Treasure. I won't read anything pre-Haddock. My aol account is gallowsfodder@aol.com...."Gallows-fodder" is one of the insults Haddock has bellowed at some time or another. I love him.

By JusMiceElf on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 12:13 am:

Blistering blue barnacles! Cigars was the first one I ever read, so it's always been a favorite.

So there, you Bashi Bazouk! Ectoplasm!

I love the little kid (Abdullah?) who makes fun of Haddock. "Again, Blistering Barnacles! Fall down the stairs again!"

By Pug on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 01:59 am:

Abdulla rocks...(getting drunk off my ass)

By cyst on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:33 am:

I love peaches. the teaches of peaches.

liz phair played my work today. she sat on a stool, wearing the second-shortest shorts I've ever seen. I sat in the second row. the seat right in front of her was the last seat taken. she played a couple of new songs and a few old ones, including "the divorce song" and "stratford on guy."

I realized that in the last 10 years I've probably never made a mix tape without a liz phair song on it.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:03 am:

long time no see cyst!

By patrick on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

can you tell us about THE shortest short shorts you've seen?

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

I've seen some pretty short shorts. My buddy's wife wears these cutoff jean shorts (jean shorts on women are sexy as hell, by the way) and the legs are cut so far up to the crotch, it don't leave much to the imagination. This all reminds of the Simpsons episode with Homer in the lighthouse, and the ship running aground carrying a cargo load of short shorts and them all singing "Who wears short shorts" at the end.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

when i was out in Palm Springs and Desert Hot Springs this past weekend i saw a lot of short shorts too.

they seemed to be popular on ridiculously wealthy young hotties driving gross SUVs or kickass foreign sport coupes.

ive come to appreciate a woman with a little more 'junk in the trunk' , that is those who are not usually wearing the short shorts.

the short shorts girls we're so obviously single that it was nearly unattractive. girls pushin strollers get my eye more these days.

By eri on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

I got my short shorts out of the closet and tried them on yesterday. I can't wear them anymore. I am so self conscious in them, like my ass is falling out of them. So I put the short shorts back up and I am not going to wear them. Too bad, they were really cute, but I just can't bring myself to wear them without feeling like the whole world can see my ass drooping below the shorts.

By sarah on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

my favorite liz phair song is fuck and run.

she's playing in austin next month, with flaming lips and starlite mints on the same bill. nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

Cyst, where do you work? (Or, if you don't want to answer that, in which field do you work?)

By patrick on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:54 pm:

definitely a banana farm.

By cyst on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 12:39 pm:

Spider, does Patrick have your e-mail address? I have his.

The shortest shorts I've ever seen were on a woman pushing a stroller or carrying a baby. I don't remember. All I remember is the ass (which I have on videotape). And that my friend M's friend would call her a MILF.

It's the 1970s and we're at Disneyland, both hanging out with Tigger. Except I'm wearing long purple pants and a yellow T-shirt. And she's wearing a halter top and these tiny little shorts. Tigger and I are smiling for the camera, and she's standing with her back (ass) to us.

Imagine the line where the bottom of the ass hits the top of the back of the thigh. And then imagine a second line, the one that would go through both dimples above the ass.

The bottom of the shorts are right in the middle, curving upward toward the sides of the legs.

I'll take a picture and show you.

By Spider on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

I'm including my email address here.

By patrick on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

its all about the MILFs these days.

in other cultures women who havent had puppies are really desired, or sought after so much as women who have, like a benchmark or something.

I think, generally i get it.

By Spider on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 05:17 pm:

I learned about MILFs from Stephen Colbert.

Pardon me while I dream for a few moments about Stephen Colbert...

By patrick on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 09:01 pm:

oh my. MILF has been a term i've been using since a kid, but im a boy.

By agatha on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 09:18 pm:

Cyst!

I'm having an art show in Seattle on July 3rd, are you going to be around?

How you say... MILF?

By dave. on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:36 pm:

spider, have you heard the new prefuse 73? i'm really liking it. it's the same guy as savath and savalas as well as delarosa and asora. if you ever heard either of those. they're all good.

i've also been enjoying 2 lone swordsmen's "a virus with shoes".

btw, i didn't mean to offend you with my dislike of fischerspooner. hopefully, you weren't. keep recommending stuff please, oh pretty please.

By dave. on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:43 pm:

By Spider on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 09:58 am:

Naw, dave, I wasn't offended.

I've never heard of prefuse 73 or any of the others you mentioned. I will investigate.

The only new band I've heard lately (and whose name I remember) is Calla. They're kind of...um...emo, I guess you'd say. I don't know if you'd like them.

There's a semi-local band (I think they're from Richmond) called Engine Down that I've been listening to and I like. It's just guitars, bass, drums, and vocals, but they have very interesting chords and chord progressions, and I'm digging it.

By cyst on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

By cyst on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

Sorry I'm so wrong. I thought she was carrying a child, but she's not. I think the little boy might be hers, though. And it wasn't Tigger, it was Eeyore (both he and I are out of frame). I wasn't wearing purple pants, either.

But the shorts are short, and that's what's important, right?

By cyst on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

Agatha -- How long will your art show last? I will be in Carmel or San Luis Obispo or somewhere on July 3. Let me know if anything's happening in Oly this summer. I've been going to Portland every five weeks or so, so I pass through there a lot.

By eri on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

Unfortunately I can't tell the difference between her shorts and her ass in that pic. Maybe my computer is fubared. Maybe for the first time ever I really need glasses.

By beta on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 04:24 am:

i don't get a commission or anything, but seeing the mention of these bands makes me want to promote these guys
    the future of rock n' roll

By agatha on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

It will be up by appointment for all of July. I'll keep you posted on Olympia happenings if anything exciting comes up.

It seems as though there are many different bands on that website.

By cyst on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

unfortunately, her shorts are ass-colored. but you get the idea.

By TBone on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 10:20 am:

At the studio yesterday I saw an album that made me think of this thread...

All Girl Summer Fun Band

Dunno if they're any good. They seem to be relatively popular with some of the DJs.

By J on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 11:51 am:

Cyst, I missed ya:) Agatha post pictures of your show,please.

By cyst on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

hi, j.

my boyfriend's band is playing with the all girl summer fun band later this month.

saturday I went to a charity auction and bid $20 on a duran duran cd signed by john taylor.

By ChrisJ on Saturday, July 2, 2005 - 01:10 pm:

All this energy callin me back where it comes from.....such a crude attitude is back where it belongs.....all the little chicks with the crimson lips go clevland rocks clevland rocks....Livin in sin where the safety ends go clevland rocks clevland rocks clevland rocks...ohio-hio-hio

Recognize it you should it was the theme for the Drew Carey show which did its finale episode last year. Anyways it wasn't the only theme song though there also was "moon over parma" and "5 0 clock run" and more

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact