TOOL Concert in Green Bay, WI

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: TOOL Concert in Green Bay, WI
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Skooter Lee Roth on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 10:29 am:

I saw them on Labor Day with Tomahawk
    opening.
    Mike Patton from Tomahawk has been a hero
    of mine since I was back in the 10th grade,
    which was 12 years ago, so seeing him in the
    flesh was just fantastic.
    (My wife Nikola said, "Now I know where you
    get your stage presence from," which I must
    admit....Yes, everything I do on stage,
    including howling, gibbering like a monkey
    and throwing myself on the floor I learned from
    Mike Patton.
    He's just as crazy as I would have thought live.
    He uses four different mics hooked up to
    effects units and a sampler/keyboard now to
    make it even more wierd.
    The best thing he said was "Hey, if anyone's
    going to throw a drink up here, make sure it's
    a tanquery martini with an olive twist okay?"
    Also, when a few close minded people started
    booing he talked about how the next song was
    going to rock and then they closed with a
    lounge toon, including "Thank you's" right in
    the middle of the song.
    Also "So we hear that Tomahawk is the first
    notes of rock played in this place...So you
    could say that Tomahwak took your cherry!
    That means everytime you have sex now....you
    get to think of ME!"
    TOOL came on pretty soon after that. Between
    sets, girls took the chance to show boobies to
    the crowd, which drew quite a large response.
    I found it quite amuzing.
    TOOL is one of the most amazing live acts I
    have ever seen. The sound was crisp, no loss
    on the vocals, and the band was tight as hell
    all night.
    Maynard pretty much stayed in the shadows
    for the first couple songs. "Sober, Stinkfist,
    46@2."
    Then he stripped down to a pair of black swim
    trunk underwear things for the rest of the
    show.
    The art on this part of the tour was by Alex
    Grey. If you don't know who that is then check it
    out, because it's amazing.
    I felt like I was on drugs, even though I wasn't.
    Maynard told us to go home, have sex, find
    someone to have sex with, build a fire and
    watch Caligula.
    The band played played for two 1/2 hours.
    Patton and the drummer from Helmet came
    on stage and played during "Triad", in which
    Maynard played Bass.
    It was awesome.
    It you ever get the chance to see these guys
    live DO'er.
    Occult symbols I noticed during the set
    included a huge Seal of Solomon at the end of
    the set, lots of third eye images, pentagrams,
    Kundalini.
    I've heard a lot about these guys being deep
    into magick, Crowley etc.
    The thing with Crowley is I need a Crowley
    guide for idiots to even be able to understand
    what some of the basics are.
    Does anyone know any sites that could be
    usefull?

By Spider on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:27 am:

Skooter, that sounds like a blast.

How was Duane Denison? Did he rock? I love him. *sigh*

Forget Crowley. Charles Manson made more sense.

By Skooter on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:50 am:

Denison was great. He played a lot bottleneck
    guitar and slide, but also some really heaving
    chording as well.
    Get Tomahawk, you'll love it. The bass player
    was from the Melvins.

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

That's awesome. I love Mike Patton. My brother saw the TOOL/Tomahawk show in Boston a few weeks back and said the best part was Patton's mockery of the idiot fans.

Aleister Crowley is something else. I know a little about him since I studied and read from his deck. I don't know much about the magick stuff specifically since my own interest in mysticism, divnation, and tarot got more into psychoanalysis and egyptian mythology...and even then more on the intelletual side of all of that. However, if I think of it later I'll post some titles that are listed as useful references in my various books and notes.

By SkooterLeeRoth on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

Yea! Thats what I wanted. Kazoo, I didn't really
    get to talk to you at all the time I met cha.
    I just really wanted to say Thanks for being so
    wonderful to my friend Andy.
    He has needed someone like you for quite a
    while.
    Good for y'all.
    My interest in magick started with some basic
    Paganism, gardenian magick and celtic myth.
    I am a working natural witch, and have just
    started to look into eastern mystic stuff, like
    Zen and all that.
    I find it all fascinating. It's just different ways to
    tap into those parts of the brain and soul that
    aren't easily accessed.
    Why settle for less than a full existence?
    I use a Fairy Deck for divination, with pictures
    from Brain Froud, who is another amazing
    artist. You might know him from "Dark Crystal".

By dave. on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

i think crowley's whole thing was about shaping reality through sheer force of will -- "love is the law, love under will". much like star wars' "the force" or don juan's "stalking and intent", but crowley's love is mostly love of crowley. he had a vulgar arrogance that would give nate a hard-on and spoke in the self-congratulating, punny, hidden-meaning, wickedly clever style of so many other priveleged and pampered british egomaniacs.

and his fiction sucks.

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

dave. nice personality assessment.

skooter, I know what you mean about tapping the parts of the brain and soul that aren't easily accessed. For me it's about introspective thinking via symbols, and basically learning what you already know. Most of the other stuff is driven purely by intellectual curiosity, especially the existence of a western mystical tradition. I'm much too cynical and secular for anything else. I'd like to learn more about celtic myth, but I just don't have the time for anything but the occasional glance at a book here and there.

Yeah, it's too bad we didn't get to talk more when I was there. But I'm now fully sucked into this place so you can find me here. I'll post that stuff tonight.

By dave. on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 10:18 pm:

thanks! i'm all about the critique. in a way, i am just as big an egomaniac. my ego is so big, it kicks its own ass.

what's up with this nonsense?

bad poetry or divine revelation? people who can identify with shit like that need to just stay the hell away from me.

didn't he live in a castle on the shores of loch ness right about the time nessie became legendary?

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:00 pm:

"Every man and every woman is a star."

dude, that is like so Moby

Yeah, that's a little too much for me.

But anyway...Skooter, I'm almost positive that Robert Anton Wilson had some interesting things to say about Crowley and the like in Prometheus Rising, however, I can't say for sure what or where it is because there is no index and as much as I'd like to, I don't have time to go back and find it.

I would say avoid anything Crowley's written. You may want to check out Israel Regardie's or Francis King's books. Most of everything else on this list I have is in German which may be the real reason I decided not to read up on all this stuff.

I have a mini-bio on him in one of my tarot books...whatahnut....(dave. you're going to love this):

"The work that seemed most important to Crowely was the *Book of the Law,* dictated to him in 1904 in Cairo by Aiwass, an extraterrestial being."

You may just want to read Michael Ende's *The Neverending Story* as I believe one of the overriding themes is the whole "Do what thou whilst shall be the whole of the law" snagglepoop that seems to be the gist of all of this.

But I could be wrong. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I forgot about the German, but at least you have a little more to plug into Google.

Plug into Google.

That just sounds wrong.

By dave. on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:17 pm:

to be fair, "magic, in theory and practice" will (in keeping with the theme) plug you in to whatever it's supposed to plug you into. it's just rather sterile when compared to gurdjieff's humor and/or casteneda's pure, awesome excitement and/or lao tsu's cuteness.

yeah, forget crowley. instead, try to figure out what gurdjieff was doing. or go down to the corner store and buy some beer.

By dave. on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:41 pm:

oh, and robert anton wilson suckles at the withered teat of the oto and the golden dawn.

a little name dropping: i got an astrology reading by the then alleged astrologer of the golden dawn, antero alli.

i lost the tape of it but it was about 90 minutes of telling me that i'm a mess and i'm fucking doomed. how prophetic.

By J on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 01:59 am:

Tell me where they are Dave,I'll break my foot up the ass

By dave. on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 02:07 am:

goddammit, they're everywhere.

By patrick on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 11:58 am:

shit you lost me with those hocus pocus links dave.

god dammit.

why can't we stick to topics like Sabbath and Motorhead?

By pez on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 01:39 pm:

the creed or what not of the golden dawn:

"as it harm none, do what thou wilt."

what crowley said:

"do what thou wilt."

made a habit of patronizing the poplace as a magical "leader". arrogant as all out.

if you want magic, DIY because there's no other way.

By wisper on Saturday, September 7, 2002 - 04:09 pm:

i just want to say that last month i picked seeing System of a Down instead of Tool, and it was beautifull.
    Not just because of the price difference ($20 vs $80) but because the idea of seeing Tool live scares me. What if it was bad?
    Yes, i am a flake.

Anyway, System of a Down.
    Fuckin'
    A

And minus the little tiny kids in Linkin Park shirts, it was the best concert in recent memory. Sound was great and the video screens were amazing but subtle. I dare say the whole thing was perfect. And he can sing. Oh, but he can sing. It moves me. Like Tool. But like Rage Against the Machine, too.
    Hot damn do i love System of a Down.

And the angry bikers who turned out to see DOWN, only to find out they had to cancel (sad!), well, that was a show of it's own.

aaah, no one's going to read this.

By Skooter Leeroth on Saturday, September 7, 2002 - 11:16 pm:

TOOL fufilled all obligations most wonderfully.
    How can you doubt them?
    TOOL RULES.
    Yea, they rule...they rule!

By dave. on Saturday, September 7, 2002 - 11:58 pm:

i've said my piece on tool and soad. i'd choose soad every time. they fucking rool. did they do the "fuuuuck you pig!" song?

By dave. on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 12:04 am:

i'm listening to iceburn from their 1991 album "firon". what an amazing band. epic metal from the hc victory/revelation records scene. i honestly don't know where they could possibly fit into that. so much more than hc, they went on to add a sax and go totally heavy jazz improv based on epic poems and scores.

By TBone on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 12:28 am:

Tickets went on sale for the Tool concert in Billings Oct 9. Should I go?

I've haven't yet decided how I feel about Tool.

By Hal on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 05:15 am:

Apparently they are going to be here in Missoula some time in the next year or so TBone....

I've been wanting to go to the one in Billings, but lack of $ or ability to get there kinda makes the want seem less of a possiblity.

By semillama on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

Tool puts on such an amazing live show that you should go see them, and from Skooter's description, it's gotten way better than it was for teh Undertow tour, when I saw them.
    Queens of the Stone Age and ...And They Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead are playing Columbus next week. I'm going to try to go since It's beena while since I have seen a good rock show.

Atlanta has shitloads of good shows, none of which happened while I am here. The venue up the street from Kazoo, for instance, will have in the coming weeks, U.K. Subs w/ Vibrators. The Echo Lounge will haveWire, GvB, Pere Ubu, The Chameleons UK, Dismemberment Plan, and Neko Case.
    The Cotton Club will have Local H, Suicide Machines, Doves, Legendary Pink Dots, No Use for A Name.

Poo.

By patrick on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

And You Will Know Us....put on an awesome show. I saw them at a gallery performance, about 2 years ago, up close and personal....they rocked.

i can recommend a couple of local bands sem, kazoo....

if there is ever a chance to see Man or Astroman (local) see them. As well as their side project Servotron. The is also a great band called the Forty Fives (mention patrick and nico and LA, we meet with them everytime they come to town) who rock as well as The Subsonics.

There are others, but I dunno if they are around anymore.

By semillama on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 06:57 pm:

I saw Man . . . Or Astroman? here in
    Columbus - it was totally rockin like Dokken.

Well, not literally like Dokken, but it was a
    fantastic show nonetheless. I think i must
    have posted about it. I think that any band that
    uses a Tesla coil on stage in a small rock
    club, i would have had to post about.

By Skooter on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 11:55 pm:

Remembering Maynard spinning around and
    around while standing still (the wonders of a
    moving stage platform)...singing "Swing on
    the spiral.....swing on the spiral..."
    It seems like the message of Lateralus
    couldn't be more timely.
    Forgivness, healing, coming around full circle,
    learning to let go.
    "Choose to let this go....let go to let go."
    I've had these songs in my head for a full
    week now, and it doesn't even annoy me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact