Coversong

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Coversong
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 06:02 pm:

Its not just going through my head, but my speakers as well...

Dinosaur Jr.'s cover of The Cure's 'Just Like Heaven'

I love this cover song.

I also have 3 other favorites:

Nip Drivers doing a 10 second rendition of Duran Duran's 'Rio'and Minor Threat doing Wire's '12XU'
    and R.E.M.'s cover of Wire's 'Strange'.

But then again ive been listening to my Pink Flag album for days on end now.

This idea for a thread seems familiar but nonetheless what are your favorite cover songs?

By kazoo on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:53 pm:

*Making Plans for Nigel* by Primus

By dave. on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 08:05 pm:

'forward to death' by nomeansno

'snowblind' by system of a down

'metro' by system of a down

'doctor wu' by the minutemen

By dave. on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 09:15 pm:

'aquarius' by boards of canada. not really a cover.

'fancy' by the geraldine fibbers

'gin and juice' by the gourds. when i first heard this, it was supposed to be ween but that turned out to be an urban legend. i should post it -- it's killer.

'old man thunder' fake bob seger cover. by ween.

By dave. on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 09:59 pm:

actually, the geraldine fibbers do several good covers. 'jolene' and 'the grand tour' are also really good. patrick, carla bozulich is amazing in spite of your opinion.

By Lapis on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:07 am:

"Gin and Juice" is a riot.

By Gee on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:28 am:

Informed consent in one-on-one studies must always be given! Always Always Always! No you may not ask them to sign it After the study! No you may not lie to them about the study topic! Yes you are required to make the material accessible to the subjects! YES, you MUST tell them you wish to study them! If written consent may not be obtained then Yes it is your responsibility to obtain consent in some other way!

why is this so hard to understand? Why do you think the rules of ethics do not apply to you? Why must the same question be answered over and over in so many different ways? Why are there so many people taking Anthropology who are completly clueless about what's going on? Why does that one guy in my research class insist on saying "Who are WE to be studying THEM?" every single week? Does he think it makes him look smart? or cool?

"stones and bones!"
    "what's the difference between anthroplogy and archaeology?"
    "you can't learn culture from a book! You have to live it!"
    "anthropology? is that about languages?"

oh my god. it's only been a few months and I feel like my brain is bursting. and people who aren't as fascinated as I am are really REALLY annoying me lately!

too much studying.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:47 am:

Gee, I am pleased that you are so taken by your studies.

I have many favorite cover songs. I think (as I have said before) that the Afghan Whigs' cover of "If I Only Had a Brain" is my most favorite, because it so thoroughly screws with the vibe of the song. They turned it into, like, the complete opposite of what it originally was, while leaving the words and melody intact. That's a good cover ethic.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:47 am:

dave, kazoo, who sings the originals in some of your listings? the song titles dont ring bells right off the bat.

i recognize carla's talent, but for some reason she doesnt jive with me. but then again, Patti Smith didnt jive with me for years. Its only been in recent years she started to click.

another old school cover i thought of that i am fond of, The Avengers singing 'Paint it Black'

don't go hijacking my thread gee!

By kazoo on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:51 am:

*Making Plans for Nigel* is by XTC

By kazoo on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:55 am:

I also liked Chucklehead's cover of *We Can Work it Out* by the Beatles when I saw it live. I was less impressed by the album version.

By dave. on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:35 pm:

forward to death - dead kennedys
    snowblind - black sabbath
    metro - berlin
    dr. wu - steely dan
    aquarius - hair-the movie soundtrack
    fancy - bobbie gentry
    gin and juice - snoopy dogg dogg
    jolene - dolly parton
    the grand tour - george jones

By Spider on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:15 pm:

I once saw this sort of retro-ish alt country band (I think called White Hassle, or something like that) perform the Stooges' "Loose." It was a surreal moment. I only recognized the song by making out some of the words -- the music was unrecognizable.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:23 pm:

have you ever made out with a boy spider?

i realize its totally from left field but i saw the words "loose", "surreal" and i read "making out some of the words" as "making out in the woods" and the thought popped into my head.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

No, never have.

By wisper on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:41 pm:

dude.

making out is the shit. I like it better than sex.

except shower sex. Nothing beats that.

ANYWAY

i posted to this thread yesterday but it's gone!
    i always enjoyed Snoop Dogg's cover of 'we will rock you'.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

i have found with shower sex, height is key. that is, correlating height. if there is more than 6" between you and your partner, its not so good.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:36 pm:

gin and juice is a fabulous cover song. the gourds.

lapis, where do you live?

By Lapis on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:28 am:

Portland.

I'm surprised nobody's figured out my (not so) secret yet.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:33 am:

Cyst?

Dave, that Nomeansno cover of Forward to Death is utterly fantastic. it's A cappella for those who haven't heard it, with the band singing all the instrumentation.

ANother good cover is DK's Viva Las Vegas. I also really like Meg Lee Chin's version of Nazi Punks Fuck Off - it ROCKS.

The clash with Armagideon Time.
    I love covers. I have a bootleg Iron Maiden live album that is them doing all covers, like Springsteen, ZZ Top and such. It's awesome, although the sound quality sucks. I picked it up in Venice.

By kazoointoit on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:30 am:

I like Frank Zappa's cover of *Ring of Fire* (Johnny Cash) not because it's any good but because it makes me laugh.

Lapis, I figgered you for the portland area. I tried to keep myself secret. It didn't work.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:33 am:

Cyst has taken to wearing Converse shoes? Or wait, am I being whooshed again?

By patrick on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:56 am:

Lopis is pez. i wondered what happened to you.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

oh, DUH. Color me stupid.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:15 pm:

although the connection of lupis and cyst, both skin disorders is strangely coincidental.

lupis is a skin ailment right?

By jack on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:35 pm:

because you asked,

lapis (with an "a"): "a semiprecious stone that is usually rich azure blue and is essentially a complex silicate often with spangles of iron pyrites"

lupus (with two "u"s) is "an inflammatory connective tissue disease of unknown cause that occurs chiefly in women"..not exactly a skin ailment--but skin lesions are characteristic

cyst: "a closed sac having a distinct membrane and developing abnormally in a cavity or structure of the body"..not exactly a skin ailment

By patrick on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

damn, i thought i was being all sleuth-like and shit

By wisper on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:18 pm:

fucking name-changing motherfuckers.
    i kept my spelling mistake name, you can keep your names!

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:39 pm:

A woman in my cohort was just diagnosed with lupus.

she's not doing well...going through all the various treatments to see what works.

By Lapis on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:43 pm:

I miss Cyst. She's nice.

But yeah. I'm pez of old. I've done a lot of growing up lately, including growing out of the name. I'm trying to come up with a story about why pez doesn't make appearances anymore, for instance saying that I'm her publisher and she's decided to stop writing.

Lapis alone is stone. pez crumbles.

By agatha on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:10 pm:

i like lapis better than pez, although i am fond of pez dispensers. welcome back, chica.

By Lapis on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:38 pm:

Thank you.

By agatha on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:25 pm:

you are most welcome. what you been up to?

By dave. on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:32 pm:

'andy warhol' by bowie and then by treepeople who more or less went on to become built to spill.

By Platypus on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:27 am:

One of my clients has lupus...I think I've talked about her before. It's a frustrating diasese because it goes back and forth. Right now it's in the really shitty stage. She's miserable. Can't walk, can't leave the house, has trouble breathing, all that fun stuff. It's sad, she was a really active gal, too.

By sarah on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:48 am:

cyst is in seattle.

By Lapis on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:31 am:

And she has rockstar buddies.

I've been trying to write, trying to clean, trying to figure out the boys (and girls) in my life.

Both of my grandfathers have died in the past three months, the patriarchs of their respective families, with no surviving siblings or cousins in this country. So now they can't tell their stories anymore.

Trying to put the pieces together. How to live in a way so that I can respect the values of my family and be true to myself at the same time. It's difficult, it really is.

Isn't Lupus the disease that makes it so people can't be exposed to sunlight?

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:37 am:

"How to live in a way so that I can respect the values of my family and be true to myself at the same time."

God, do I know what that struggle's like. In my case, it's "how can I respect some of my family members."

Welcome back, missy. :)

By Czarina on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:04 am:

You can't respect all family members.[at least in my family]

You've just got to accept them for who they are.

[and,best not to sever ties,in case you ever need a kidney]

By kazoo on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:28 pm:

I am lucky that I have very few issues with my immediate family. It's the rest of them that drive me insane.

Hi Lapis! Good to see you.

Anyway, Mel Torme does this cover of *Happy Together* by the Turtles. It's on one of those Lounge CDs and it makes me laugh. On another one of those CDs (or maybe the same one) Peggy Lee does a cover of *Hard Days Night* by the Beatles that is actually pretty good if you like that kind of thing.

By Lapis on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:51 pm:

I have no problem respecting family members. It's the values.

My current choices don't make any sense to them:
    * Veganism
    * Choosing bike over car
    * College Dropout
    * Working part-time

My religious choice would severely scare my mom if I chose to reveal it at this time. When I read the books out in the open my mom told me I was going to hell and my dad thought I was looking for an easy way out.

Bah. More cover music!

I say "Killing Me Softly" covered by the Fugees. But everyone's heard that.

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

"She's Lost Control" as covered by Girls Against Boys kicks ass.

"She turned around, took me by the hand, she said - *HUNH*"

REM does a good cover of Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhattan." Jeff Buckley does a great cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:30 pm:

"First We Take Manhattan"

They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
    For trying to change the system from within
    I'm coming now, I'm coming to reward them
    First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin
    I'm guided by a signal in the heavens
    I'm guided by this birthmark on my skin
    I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons

I'd really like to live beside you, baby
    I love your body and your spirit and your clothes
    But you see that line there moving through the station?
    I told you, I told you, told you, I was one of those

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win
    You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline
    How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin

I don't like your fashion business mister
    And I don't like these drugs that keep you thin
    I don't like what happened to my sister

I'd really like to live beside you, baby ...

And I thank you for those items that you sent me
    The monkey and the plywood violin
    I practiced every night, now I'm ready

I am guided

Ah remember me, I used to live for music
    Remember me, I brought your groceries in
    Well it's Father's Day and everybody's wounded

By kazoo on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:31 pm:

Jeff Buckley does a great cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."

YES!

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:43 pm:

Kazoo, have you perused my Leonard Cohen appreciation thread?

I luff him.

By kazoo on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

that's some good stuff.

I think that you would really get along with my bestfriend Shannon. I think you have very different but compatible personalities and a lot of similar interests...music and literature mostly.

This has less to do with it, but she helped me deal with a lot of my people problems...not in a counseling kind of way...just hanging around with her.

By Lapis on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

"God Bless the Child" covered by the Simpsons (well, Lisa anyway).

I've been trying to find covers in my music collection... there's some blues covers, "Sundown" by Elwood, "Iron Man" by the Cardigans and that's about it. Oh and a Me First and the Gimme Gimmes album.

Do traditional songs count as covers?

By semillama on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

no.
    and blues songs by blues musicians don't either, as it is expected to do your version of other people's songs

By Lapis on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:22 pm:

That makes sense.

By patrick on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:38 pm:

and christmas carols.

those tunes get raped by every half-wit, washed-up sit-com star this time of year anyway.

bing crosby was a homo.

By Lapis on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 06:33 pm:

That reminds me:

I've got my first choir rehersal tonight. Odes to Buddy Holly and Farah Fawcett.

By dave. on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:37 pm:

nomeansno covering the residents 'would we be alive'

any cover by the melvins, especially --

with yo' heart, not yo' hands - malfunkshun
    love thing - kiss
    sacrifice - flipper
    venus in furs - velvet underground
    lexicon devil - the germs
    sweet young thing ain't sweet no more - mudhoney
    ballad of dwight fry - alice cooper
    just what i needed - the cars

meat puppets covering 'tumblin tumbleweeds' by hank williams sr.

nirvana covering 'oh, me' by the meat puppets

uhhh. . .

By moonit on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:49 pm:

I like Cookie Monsters 'I did it all for the cookie'. Does that count?

By patrick on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 11:52 am:

this week i rehearsed, on the skins, with a friend who is involved, and made a cd with current residents drummer.

i know his name. but i wont tell.

i sucked hard.

By Spider on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:53 pm:

The Melvins do an *awesome* cover of Kiss' "Going Blind."

By Lapis on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 02:49 pm:

Don't say that. Just play!

I am now in a choir-- and a band as well. Finally! Since everyone else plays guitar and bass I don't need to. Keys, flute, vocals, whatever the song needs to be finished, I can do. Whoohoo!

Now I need to find a keyboard case. If I'm carrying it around all winter--which I probably will--I don't want it to get wet.

It would be fun to start all female cover bands of testosterone-fueled rock and hip-hop.

By Spider on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 02:55 pm:

What kind of keyboard do you have, Lapis?

I have always wanted to hear a woman sing Stone Temple Pilots' "Sex-Type Thing" as a torch song.

By patrick on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

the thing is Lapis....my friend is a classically trained pianist. he grew up on a metronome, emmulating James Brown vibes.

get my drift? he's dealing with time signatures that fuck my head.

I dont read music. I don't know anything about chords, notes.

Tell me to play a G Minor, im going to look at you funny.

I play by ear, i respond to what i hear...and at that im damn good.

unfortunately my friend, amazingly talented, just made me feel horribly inadequet and stupid.

he's used to playing with ********** who at the moment, plays with The Residents. Its kinda intimidating when he is used to such company.

Once im moved into the new house, and have carpeted the garage.....i will play and play and play and get my chops back up to speed cause i feel better than I ever have.

I just have to remember the lesson i learned LAST time i played with an avante garde, classically trained pianist, 6 1/2 years ago.....don't.

By patrick on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 03:11 pm:

that first sentence should read
    "he grew up on a metronome, I grew up emmulating James Brown vibes on cardboard boxes."

By Spider on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

I totally suck at playing by ear.

My knowledge of theory/composition/etc trips me up when it comes to playing things by ear, because I get hung up on trying to figure out time signatures and how the music would be transcribed. I'm also a strongly visually-oriented person, so I'm extra lost when I try to manuevre about in a purely sonically-oriented activity.

Visually reading music is one of the few things I'm honestly good at. I'm really good, too -- I can play 4-part vocal scores at first sight, at tempo, with very few mistakes, for example.

The only way I could ever memorize a piece was to visually study the score away from the piano and store it in my memory as an image.

Seriously, I'm mentally handicapped when it comes to auditory memory. I even have a very hard time remembering tunes to songs I like, unless I know the song really well. I once heard Bjork on TV talking about how she only has to come up with a tune once and she can store it away in her head for years -- that just blew my mind. No way could I do that.

By Spider on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 04:18 pm:

To clarify my fourth paragraph -- I would take my music into my bedroom and read it like you read a book. Then I'd take mental snapshots of the measures.

By patrick on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 05:28 pm:

interesting.

im just the opposite.

i get tripped up trying to remember choruses breaks and what not.

my friend did say i was a slave to other musicians and this is indeed true. ive been fortunate to play was some amazing bassists. once i hear a bass line a few times, it sticks, therefor im quite needy of strong bass. I have caught myself humming bass lines while not consciously thinking of the song.

At lunch I read interesting quote in a Jerzy Kosinski book that is relevant to what you are saying.....
    Schumann-"A good musician understands the music without the score, and the score without the music. The ear should not need the eye, the eye should not need the ear."

By Lapis on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 07:48 pm:

I have a 61 key basic Casio. 100 rhythms, 100 tones, 100 songs.

I took piano lessons for five years. When my mom went back to school, I stopped taking lessons and began flute lessons a year later. I've got a few pieces from then still memorized, Make Mine Jazz, Theme from Grieg's Concerto in A Minor and a gigue. I've figured out how to play chopsticks recently, and play around with different tunes. Scales and rhythms are no problem, but it take me a long time to learn a new piece from sheet music-- I can still read bass clef, but barely, when I can fly on treble. So that's a problem.

Flute I love. I've been playing stedily for the last 10 years, don't have anything memorized but sightreading's a breeze. It's easier to carry around and I don't get nervous much on it anymore, I just play. For a year I was switching between tenor saxophone and flute, so I can transpose from bflat to c and back again no problem.

I've tried learning clarinet some... I can play decently by ear but I can't associate sheet music with it at all. Instead I'll turn on the radio and play along.

This training presents problems as well. I've learned to depend on sheet music so much, that when something specific is needed I feel it must be written. It's terrible.

I've made my own drums out of tin cans, cardboard tubes and balloons and played them with chopsticks. I love them but get insanely jealous when someone who can actually play drums decently takes over. Grr.

By patrick on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

the trick to teaching your self drums...in my mind?

get a snare, a floor(low)tom and a ride cymbal and start there.

play standing up.

forget about hats and kicks. once you train your arms, which is a task of seperating your brain in two or three, the rest comes a lot easier.

By Spider on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:57 am:

Have you heard Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt"?

There is something to be said for a ~70-year-old man taking a ~30-year-old man's chock-full-of-angst song about drug addiction and making it into a piece of art.

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:31 am:

yes.

i bought the cd a few weeks ago. i posted about it.

go buy the cd spider.

listen to it.

cry.

you will.

i think it i will be his last.

By Spider on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:44 am:

Sorry, I wasn't online much last week. Where's your thread?

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:56 am:

i dunno.

the album is mostly covers. trent reznor, sting, depeche mode, paul simon, beatles to name some.

he song selection is practically a good bye letter. the letter in the linear notes reads liek a good bye.

the images on the album.

its an album full of god and love.

go buy it, its worth it.

By wisper on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

cash + hurt = saddest song EVER

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

absofuckinglutely.

By Big kev being bored on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

i tried to waatch the vid. fromt the link on Rollingstone.com but the streaming wasn't working so good. does anyone know where i can veiw/download it?

Cash+hurt that is

By Dougie on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

I'll have to check that out Patrick. By the way, I'm in your old neighborhood. Hanging out in Marietta, GA. Not sure if I'll get any time to do anything in Atlanta, but I'd like to at least see the Coke factory and go to the Varsity.

By patrick on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:46 pm:

FYI, if you wanna blend in....its pronounced May'Retta.

But then again, who would want blend in in that suburban hell hole.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 08:27 am:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact