Mouring The Loss of JOHNNY CARSON

sorabji.com: What are you doing here?: Mouring The Loss of JOHNNY CARSON
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By RC on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 08:43 pm:

He died early today at age 79 of emphysema. (I know he was a smoker but I also thought he quit ages ago...)

He was a class act, The Best latenight talk show host in the history of television. He knew how to talk to presidents, how to talk to Martin Luther King, even how to talk to little kids. When a joke bombed, he managed to come up with a wisecrack that ended up getting the laugh anyway. And he used the success of his show to give dozens of current-day comdeians their 1st break on tv -- something Leno & Letterman rarely seem to do nowadays.

I thought he'd live to be at least 90 -- esp. since he had sense enough to retire at the top of his game & stay out of the public eye. I can't believe a half-assed comic like Phyllis Diller is still around but Carson is gone!

RIP Johnny. You were truly The King of Comedy.

- RC

By RC on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 08:45 pm:

Sorry I misspelled Mourning -- my brain is frozen fom all the freakin' snow & wind!

- RC

By Agent D on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:12 pm:

When it was Johnny Carson's last day at RTC Industries, when he see Iqbal Khan so pissed off. He just called his ex wife, Joan River to whup Iqbal's ass. Lol!

By dave. on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 11:59 pm:

l to the o to the l

By Gee on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 11:04 am:

unfunny people should not be allowed to live!

death to the humourless!

By Antigone on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 01:27 pm:

Do you realize that this directive would lead to the extermination of the entire human race? Average humor levels would rise as the population of underperforming subjects was eliminated.

In the end there could be only one.

By TBone on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:35 pm:

So it must be.

By wisper on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

Let's get it on!

By semillama on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 06:42 pm:

By wisper on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:55 pm:

But seriously, some of my first memories are of watching Johnny Carson. I can remember standing in my crib and hearing his theme song. Mom says that i was always a night person, and that as a baby/toddler I would not go to bed until i heard that song.

By TBone on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 08:16 pm:

Ellis is a madman. In a good way.

But I've learned to take his word for it when he says "don't look".

By Agent D on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 11:53 am:

TBone, Iqbal Khan is a madman, not Warren Ellis.

By The Watcher on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 06:11 pm:

God I feel old.

I can remember when Steve Allen and Jack Parr hosted the Tonight Show.

But, I was very young then. And, only remember a little. But, it still makes me feel old.

By V on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 08:37 pm:

...now your as old as you feel,you need to talk yourself into this stuff.

By V on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 09:01 pm:

....admit it,inside your only 20 ????...v is...do the same,live for ever,like v...so,you remember BILKO???...tell....or are you too young?....need to say again,thanks for Bob Hope book...Respect from the Russki..."Bilko" v likes lots,you also?

By V on Wednesday, February 2, 2005 - 08:27 pm:

...so your on a vacation? am I sounding too Yiddish?..I try not to...perhaps v saw that violin player on a roof too many times.

By Dodi on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 02:43 pm:

I feel really old today.......:(

By eri on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 07:24 pm:

I can relate to that one. I have felt older than I am lately. Letting the arthritis get to me, crap like that.

But I haven't played my violin in about two weeks, which relieves stress, so I guess I am doing things in my life that make me feel older than I am, or not doing things I should be doing to keep me young?

By Dodi on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 02:29 am:

eri, what kind of arthritis do you have? I hope you don't mind me asking.

By Antigone on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 10:53 am:

Eri, have you ever tried a hyaluronic acid supplement? I take it for general joint health. I don't know if it would help for arthritis, but I don know that my back doesn't ache in the morning anymore, even after a day of heavy weight lifting. :)

You can even get it cheap from all sorts of places: linky

By eri on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 01:38 pm:

Dodi, I don't mind you asking. I have a hereditary arthritis, have had it since I was 17. The doctors flip flop constantly on whether it is rheumatoid or osteo, but either way, it's still there.

No, Antigone, I haven't tried that yet, but I might. I used to have my arthritis hurt enough to effect me like once a year, and lately it is 3-4 times a week.

I also think that my kids are aging me faster than anything else. The stress level has been up there, too. And with all that is going on I have to realize that my parents aren't going to live forever, and admitting they are approaching the age when I need to start worrying about their longevity also makes me feel older. Though I will admit that my dad was fucking hillarious when he lost his memory after hitting his head!

All of the drama of the last couple of months is better and everyone is doing fine, but I still have these lingering things in my head that just make me realize I am not in my 20's anymore! I can't even pretend to be that young anymore.

By Dodi on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 07:41 pm:

Thanks for sharing this with me. I'm sorry that you have to go through arthritis, especially at a young age. My family has a history of osteo, so I have to be careful. I don't have it, as of yet and I'm 42, so I'm thankful for that. I owe it to good nutrition and exercise. I seek advice from a nutritionalist and this helps too. My nutritionalist is very big into MSM and this is good for the whole body, including joints. You might want to look at your diet and add some L-glutamine as well. They say, that all conditions start in the intestines. I take a product from the doctor (nutritionalist) and it supposed to help heal the lining of the intestines. We all have leaky gut syndrome, due to the lifestyles that we lead, but this helps heal that. The product is called Glutagenics and it's from Metagenics. I don't know if you can get this on your own, or if you have to go to a doctor to get it. You might find something at the health food store, but I'll check that out for you. Hey, do you drink alot of coffee or soda? If so, stop for awhile and see if it gets better. The acid might be causing some problems for you. I'm not an expert, but it makes sense.
    Anyway, feel better and don't worry so much. Stress can do alot to the body, so relax and take care of yourself. :)

By Dodi on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 07:46 pm:

Antigone, thanks for mentioning the hyaluronic acid supplement, cause it looks pretty interesting.

By Dodi on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

By Dodi on Sunday, February 6, 2005 - 03:15 am:

Antigone, where do you get your hyaluronic acid supplement? I went to the health food store and found some, but the gal said they didn't know much about it, safety and all. How long have you been taking it?

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 12:56 am:

By Dodi on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 02:02 am:

Thanks! I got some today and the brand name is, Soloray. My friend works at Whole Foods and she said it was pretty popular, especially in the cosmetics (face cream). Hey, I'll try anything..:)

Thanks!

By Dodi on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 09:15 pm:

Antigone, I talked with my chiropractor/nutritionalist and she didn't know much about the hyaluronic acid, but she did recommend this one product. I thought I would pass it on to you.

http://www.myjointhealth.com/

By V on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 08:05 pm:

:]

By Dodi on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 11:46 pm:

:P

By V on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 08:44 pm:

Well hi most wonderfull girl in the world.,,but the "p" I do not understand.sorry to ask,can you explain?

By Dodi on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:20 pm:

Oh, I was just sticking my toungue out at you...being silly...:P

By V on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 03:50 pm:

as long as toungues tuch,is o.k. by v.

By Dodi on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 09:45 pm:

too cute. :)

By V on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 11:30 pm:

(blush)

By Dodi on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 12:19 am:

:P

By V on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 01:27 am:

...now how come i,m in this this sticky situation? I tend to think 4 postings back that was one of my clone trolls. (sigh)

By Dodi on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 01:55 pm:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

By V on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:14 pm:

NO,....IF STRANGE postings occur,then its the "sponge things fron the 98th dimension".....so dont give me none of your "HUMS"

By Dodi on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:42 am:

HUMS!!!!

By V on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 07:15 pm:

DODI,WHY,do you have to be so cute,and yummie? :):):):):):):):)

By Dodi on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 01:42 am:

it's my nature.....:P

By V on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 08:26 pm:

....well its because of your nature I like you so much. :):):):):):):):)

By Dodi on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:31 pm:

okay, I'm blushing now..:)

By Dodi on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:32 pm:

okay, I'm blushing now..:)

By V on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:19 pm:

...So your twin is also blushing?.....well that sounds like double "yummies"

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact