Get my work done

sorabji.com: What do you want to do today?: Get my work done
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 10:00 pm:

This is the plan:

Write half the big-ass psychometrics paper tonight

Mon: Take the dev. cog. psych final. Do the English research

Tues: Write the English paper

Wed: Write the second half of the psychometrics paper (I need a day's break between all this psych)

Thurs: Study for the Greek history final

Fri: Take the Greek history final

IT CAN BE DONE!!

Here are my supplies for tonight (it's going to be a long night):

*No chemicals of any kind, save those found in one can of diet coke.

*Music to keep me awake: that would be Cop Shoot Cop's "Ask Questions Later" and "Release" (I'll whip out "Consumer Revolt" only as a last resort), Tom Waits' "Rain Dogs", The Stooges' "Fun house", Andre Williams' "Silky", Sixteen Horsepower's "Sackcloth 'n Ashes", Ninja Cuts 2 -- Funkungfusion, and the mother of all discordant cacophonous jumbles...Gallon Drunk's "From the Heart of Town".

*Bright lighting

*My fuzzy blue blanket because it's drafty in here

*My psych sources, all labelled and organized in a neat pile

*Motivation

This last bit's the key. My psychometrics prof himself says intelligence is nothing if you don't have the motivation. I usually lack it entirely, but I got a big shot in the arm from somewhere today and I'm ready to go. I anticipate reaching the goal of half the paper by 4 this morning.

At the risk of sentiment: I just remembered a scene from Margaret Atwood's "The Robber Bride" in which Tony, who amuses herself by talking backwards, is taking a disastrous sled ride with her mother. Her mouth is shouting "No! No!" but her brain is saying "On! On!" I so relate. Let's go.

By Gee on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 01:25 am:

I have a natural science exam tomorow. I'm so sure I'll do a bad job on it that I don't even care anymore. I'm trying to study but I keep thinking "my notes don't make sense anyway" so why bother? I need some of your motivation.

I'm pinning all my hopes for this course on the next term when we have a different lecturer. The prof. for this year is a really smart guy, but he's not much of a teacher. in my opinion.

Good luck with your plan! I wish I could write papers in one day. (or two days) Seems like my papers get written at the rate of one paragraph per day. sigh.

By heather on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 05:31 am:

how's the plan rhiannon?

i am two days behind on my plan

two days i don't have

things need to be cut from the plan

at least it won't matter after tuesday
    no matter what- it will be so over

then- holiday

leaving the papers till later- a frantic week in the future

what is with the people that always seem to have everything done on time and get plenty of sleep?

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 08:28 am:

I wish I was back in school, learning new ideas, meeting new people, avoiding the day to day grind.

By Patrick on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 12:22 pm:

i blew my plan off last week, my plan was turned in and finished, hope your plans work to your favor......

By Gee on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 03:14 am:

haha! suckers! I'm finished! nyah nyah, blah blah!

How cruel of me to rub it in. I'm evil.

(suckers!)

By heather on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 03:57 am:

5 hours and i technically MUST to be finished

the only solution for my sad plans- no sleep

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 10:28 am:

I'm not finished at all. The plan fell through, as usual.

New plan:

Today: finish the rest of the first half of the psychometrics paper. Do the English research. Write the English paper.

Tomorrow: Finish the psychometrics paper. Take the dev.cog.psych. final.

Thursday: Study for Greek final. Meet my poetry prof. at 3 pm to discuss next semester's plans.

Friday: Take Greek final.

This HAS to be done. There is no room for procrastination. But just think how happy I'll be after the Greek final on Friday! NO MORE WORRIES!! Well, actually, yes, because then I know the minute I get home I'll be nagged at by my father about getting a job over break. Last year, he actually greeted me at the door by saying, "OK, now you have to look for a job." That makes me mad, but in such a way that I want to cry. You know? Sometimes anger comes in a rage, sometimes it comes in a dull sick frustration. Well, forget him. I have a week before Christmas. I can help my aunt bake cookies all week. She likes to make like 50 different kinds and send them to all our family members as presents. My uncle always builds these neat wooden boxes to send them in. It will be so much fun to help them.

Heather -- I hope everything worked out for you on your project and you can relax now.

Gee -- Yay! You lucky dog! Enjoy your vacation.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

I've lost my mind. I'm writing a paper, and I misspelled "males" as "meals," and when I caught my mistake, I laughed for about 15 seconds.

In 26 hours, I will be going home. That is the thread that is holding me together.

By Spider on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:42 am:

Ha! If I knew then that I was going through all that just to end up here, I would have offed myself.

And I still procrastinate!

By Nate on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

sucker.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 11:04 pm:

Ha! I am going through all that, and it's this week and next!

Be expecting plenty of 3am posts these few weeks.

Oh boy, my first college exams.

the semester went fast...

By Ophelia on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 11:07 pm:

whoops, that wasn't spider, that was me. i'm not trying to steal you identity, i was just reading your old stuff and typed it cause it was in my head. many apologies.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 08:39 am:

That's okay! I hope you are not drowning under the weight of your schoolwork like I was.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 08:44 am:

PS. I don't think I ever did study for that Greek history final. I remember completely making up answers to the essay questions. I got a 3.0 in the class, which isn't too bad for someone who never did the reading...but I should have done the reading.

I wasted a lot of opportunities and resources in college. Gah.

By heather on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

we all do

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:34 pm:

Ophelia, read this thread if you want some laughs. Do not do what I did, okay?

By Ophelia on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 12:30 am:

uh oh that sounds familiar...

but i will try to learn from your experiences (unlikely, as i seem to have trouble learning from my own, at least in that area of experience)

oh well, here goes. the big paper is due monday.

By Ophelia on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 09:20 am:

and here it is monday...but the paper isn't due till five. contrary to plans, i did not start actually writing until 2:00 pm yesterday, and i've been writing through the night. i gotta get done soon, so i can figure out the bibliography then go back and edit, which is something i rarely leave time for but this is a term paper, so typos would not be ideal. well, i had a good weekend anyways. saturday night was very fun and involved my first experimentation with weed, plus hooking up with a guy i've had my eye on...poorly timed, i admit, but still, i'm gonna get through this. and i'm really not that tired or disgruntled right now, though i've been up for a while and normally i'd be pissy, but i have a ton of energy and i think the paper's gonna be okay.

By kazoo on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

For me the best part about this time of the year is knowing that, in a few days, I will have my personality back. Sometimes it comes back all at once...sometimes it takes a while. I also love that empty-brain-high that just takes over when I turn in my last paper.

By Spider on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 02:46 pm:

I remember my brain getting stuck in "scheduling" mode after my last final -- I had been thinking things like "OK, today I'll do X from noon to 1:30, and then I'll do Y from 1:45 - 6, and then I'll do Z from...." for days and days (since I procrastinated so much, I kept having to revise the schedule).

So after I came home for winter break, I would still catch myself thinking, "OK, from noon to 1:30....oh, wait." It took a while for that to stop.

By Nate on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 04:53 pm:

"*No chemicals of any kind, save those found in one can of diet coke."

what chemicals would these have been, spidey?

By Spider on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 08:11 am:

Huh? Whatever is in Diet Coke.

By Nate on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:43 am:

i meant what chemicals would you be abstaining from that you would otherwise be using?

By dave. on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:46 am:

good morning, everyone.

By sarah on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:58 am:

good morning, dave.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:09 am:

47 mg caffeine in one can Diet Coke vs. 400 mg caffeine in 2 tabs No-Doz

Plus, you know, aspartame, artificial coloring, bubbles...

By Nate on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:05 am:

ah. i see now that you were limiting to a single can of diet coke.

blah. i was hoping for some hidden spidey druglife.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:09 am:

Yeah, right. You should know better than that.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:36 am:

yeah nate. how many times do i have to fall down the wishful-speculation-subversive-spider-life hole?

By Spider on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:34 pm:

You should give up that fantasy.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:42 pm:

you should give up church too, but you and i both know that neither my fantasy nor your religion are going anywhere.

so in the hole i go...........

By Ophelia on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:43 pm:

the paper is done.

it took an extra 24 hours, since i was falling asleep at the computer and asked for an extension so that i would be able to read clearly when i checked it to make sure that it made some sort of sense, grammaticaly at least. extension granted, i slept for 16 hours straight, like a rock according to my roommate... i feel like i already posted this, so maybe i did on another thread... or maybe it got deleted...anyways, i woke up at 10 and finished it, and turned it in.

the journal that i didn't write in all semester and that was also due yesterday is not finished, but will get turned in when it is done, whenever that is. same thing for an overdue paper from last week. anyways, tomorrow i will study physics for my exam thursday morning. tonight i will work on my journal, then go to see a comedy improv group as a study break.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

Bwahaha!!! now all my exams are done, all my papers are turned in, and i'm going home tomorrow!!! so happy!

By Spider on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 03:40 pm:

Hooray!

By Melvin Goldstein on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:15 pm:

Entropy - Uncertainty - Incompleteness - Chaos

We learn 10% of what we read, 20% of what we hear, 30% of what we see and 95% of what we teach. Students and teachers of physics will relate from their experience that they learn by working problems. They must think to solve a physics problem. Learning requires thinking and the use of the computer can assist in the learning process. The computer is more than a super typewriter, a home based library or a super shopping mall. For the science major to use the power of the computer they must learn to program it. If one writes a computer program to do something one becomes the teacher (the 95 percenter).

The book "Physics Foibles" by Melvin Goldstein probes concepts every physics, math and computer science student should know. What is Entropy? What is Godel Incompleteness? What is Heisenberg Uncertainty? What is Chaos Theory? Do we live in a deterministic world? Can a super computer determine what happens next? The book contains more than sixty Visual Basic programs with commented source code listings that examines the above questions and exercises one’s computer skills.

Entropy is more than a melting ice cube. I see entropy when I look in my mirror, when I shuffle cards, when the dice roll, when coins are flipped, when I view the aftermath of a hurricane .... etc., etc.

Godel Incompleteness, much to my amazement, is generally unknown by science majors. Godel showed that there are problems that cannot be solved by any finite set of rules. John Von Neumann said of Godel, "His achievement is singular and monumental - a landmark which will remain visible far into space and time". Godel Incompleteness is a major commandment in the Logicians Bible.

Heisenberg Uncertainty results from the basic postulates of Quantum Mechanics. When the quantum physicists elected to endorse the wave property of a particle they introduced uncertainty, and in doing so could explain events where classical physics is deficient.

Chaos Theory is a relatively new to the physics classroom. In the Newton era, analysis was king. All problems would yield to the calculus, given enough effort. Chaos predicts that complex non-linear systems are inherently unpredictable. Small changes in initial conditions produce widely varying and unpredictable responses, allowing the theorist to state, "A butterfly in South America flapping its wings causes tornadoes in America."

Heisenberg Uncertainty, Entropy, Godel Incompleteness and Chaos Theory all put limits on what we may know. Understanding these limitations are important and helpful for the progression of all science.

To see information on the book "Physics Foibles" please view the following web pages:

http://web2.airmail.net/mgold/tst2.htm

http://physicsfoibles.com

http://www.trafford.com/robots/03-0139.html

email questions to the author: bonum@physicsfoibles.com

By Antigone on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:01 pm:

Now this is the kind of post spammage I dig.

"Chaos Theory is a relatively new to the physics classroom."

But at least edit a bit before you cut 'n' paste.

And I don't think chaos theory asserts unpredictability, just that systems can become very complex, and hence difficult to predict. I haven't studied it for a while, though. I could be wrong.

By wisper on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:16 pm:

Everybody shut up.

I've got 12 hours to put together a design portfolio, and i haven't used Adobe Illustrator in nearly 2 years.

I have 3 Zipdiscs FULL of previous design work but they're in MAC format and I don't have a Mac and the guys in my house who do have Macs don't use Zips anymore because no one does.

And how the hell do you show off Photoshop ninja skills, when the whole point of photoshop is not being able to tell when something is changed?

Also, all my office clothes are rolled up in a ball, in a box, in a closet.

I have 12 hours to find a Zip drive or make new work, print it, shower, eat, iron clothes, and lay the fucker out in the god-sent empty portfolio i found under my desk.

But its for a salary job. A salary job!!!
    !!!

By Antigone on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:52 pm:

Go to Kinkos for access to the Zip disks. Have them burn them all to CD, if they'll do that.

You can do the rest. I trust you.

By agatha on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:50 pm:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm right there with you, Wisper. I feel like Rhiannon in the first post up there, micromanaging my time and knowing that I will fail to meet my desired outcome before I even start.

Plus, I couldn't just write a paper for this final project. NoOOOO, it has to be a frickin website. Which I don't know how to make. And I hate FrontPage.

That is all.

By dave. on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:05 pm:

By wisper on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:19 am:

7 hours in.
    Actually, the Mail Boxes Etc. across the street had an ancient Mac Zip drive. The guy looked at me funny when i asked to use it.
    Thank you dave. That will come in handy one day.

I ended up getting 10 pages off of the Zips, not bad at all. I had forgotten how good i used to be at Illustrator. *USED TO BE*.
    It's like riding a bike, i suppose.

Agatha! My sistah!
    i would give my right arm to whip out a webpage right now. I could go to bed early.
    Front page is ASS! I feel your pain.
    I use Dreamweaver and Imageready.

I will have to bribe someone around here with food or cigarettes to iron my clothes for me....

...as i apply drop shadows to layer after layer. Everybody loves drop shadows. Yes. Drop shadows are impressive, they are the secret.... drop shadows and layer masks.....hehehe

By Gee on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:03 am:

Dreamweaver bothers me.

By Sye on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:02 am:

So sorry to change the subject, but dreamweaver reminds me of the dream sequence in Wayne's World when he sees Cassandra for the first time.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 06:56 pm:

It went really well.
    Really really well.

More later.

p.s. It only took me 3 hours to remember that Photoshop is MY BITCH!

pss. See how the bottom of the Y fits right into the space between the white blocks??
    And the shape of the two red leaves echoes the shape of the Y?? =Compositional orgasm. Total.

By agatha on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:11 pm:

Wow, wisper, you're gooooood. You should help me.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:05 am:

I am willing to, in any way possible.

By Agent D on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:06 am:

I really wanted to get my job done today, I don't think Rich, my supervisor really would listen to me... Damn, fuck that stupid supervisor.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact