Leslie Harpold is dead.

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Leslie Harpold is dead.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By agatha on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 01:09 am:

By sarah on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 05:16 pm:

access denied at work!

please tell me! what happened???

oh my god.

By sarah on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 05:36 pm:

all these fucking useless blogs, useless!

she died. leslie died. i'm shocked, leslie did.

HOW THE FUCK DID SHE DIE?

this is nuts.

By Antigone on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 05:58 pm:

By jack on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 06:33 pm:

am i the only one who had never heard of her?
    did you guys know her personally?

By sarah on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 06:39 pm:

yes, i did. so did agatha.

i'm baffled as to why nobody has stated cause of death. befuddled and a little angry.

mark, did you ever meet her?

By ... on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 06:39 pm:

yes

By ... on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 06:44 pm:

jack, to clarify: no, and yes. sarah: yes, many times.

By Antigone on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 09:22 pm:

In my experience when obits obviously avoid mentioning cause of death it's invariably suicide.

By ... on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 09:25 pm:

now that i'm not posting from a treo while walking over the 59th street bridge, leslie was a friend of mine since, i don't know eactly, but 1995 or so sounds right. the last i saw her in person was 2002, but we corresponded off and on since then. we were both among numerous performers on a beat poets festival at The Bitter End in manhattan in 1999 (holy shit i had no idea my picture was on that site...). the last time i saw her in person was at a september 11 related event in early 2002. she moved to san francisco and more recently back home to michigan.

she had far more talent than i think a lot of people realized. the first time we met she described how she used to be a painter, but that she lost all her paintings, hundreds of them, in an apartment fire.

i remember contributing something to a film documentary she did about peoples' scars, and the stories behind them.

she was, of course, actively playing scrabble here in our little underground network. her high word was QUEAZY for 108!

what i remember most clearly about her was this sense of melancholy. i don't know how much of this i projected onto her, but as the blogging thing became mainstream i remember her talking wistfully about how some of her online friends and acquaintances from the mid 1990s were going on to become "rock stars," as she put it. she was talking like this in 1997 and 1998. she did not like to bring attention to herself, really, but she sensed the sharks were in the water and that the innocence was fading from the early fame she enjoyed just a year or 2 earlier. that was my interpretation of her point of view, maybe i'm full of shit, i often am, so who the hell knows. we all look at things our own way and her point of view seemed poignant to me.

By ... on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 09:40 pm:

it was, evidently, bronchitis

By agatha on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:05 am:

It just seems bizarre. Bronchitis?! She did have a lot of health issues for a long time, but that just seems absurd. Mark, I think your assessment of her was spot on. She did have a melancholy lonely way about her in my perception, as well. It was as though she really needed people, but she was also very private and tended to pull away when people tried to get closer.

She touched and inspired so many. Her death is such a very real loss.

By sarah on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 04:32 pm:

she was a smoker, right? so perhaps it was bronchitis --> pneumonia?

of all the things i've read on those worthless piece of shit blogs, what mark posted above is totally spot on. not just about leslie, but about the few people who were part of the web 1.0 generation.

lots of people linked to my website back in those days, and somewhere along the way it began to feel as if i was somehow supposed to feel honored by it.

but i remember when i first found out that leslie linked to my website from hers. *that* felt like an honor, but i can't say exactly why.

on the other hand, i also remember her posting something very mean on these boards once, directed at me. it was true, but it was a mean thing to say. she didn't use her real name naturally, but i knew it was her.

knowing that she's from grosse pointe, michigan also helps explain some impressions i always had of her but never could and still can't accurately verbalize.

By sarah on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 04:35 pm:

oh my god. levi and literary kicks.

blast from the past.

levi and god were and probably still are good friends.

By sarah on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 04:36 pm:

ahhh. his photo is on that page too.

By ... on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:52 am:

she had a real nasty streak in her. I used stronger words to describe it when she was alive, and I do not regret those words now, but I think it was all good. with leslie you always knew you were getting something real. I wanna know what she was up to when she died.

By jack on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 01:09 am:

thanks for your posts on this. those blogs told me nothing except that people were inspired to post vague and rather colorless pieces in response to her death. they told me little to nothing about the person or her influence. you guys posted things that are lively, personal, and expressive. thanks.

By Cat on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 02:37 am:

I didn't like playing Scrabble with her. She beat me and she didn't seem to want to chat. Maybe she just had too many others to talk to.

The blogs seemed to be just people attempting to outdo each other with how lyrically they could spread the wax on her coffin.

By sarah on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 01:07 am:

this one is the best.

http://www.flaunt.net/

but that's shawna.

god, i've been away for so long. it's weird to realize i miss everyone, and they're mostly all still doing it.

By agatha on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 02:04 pm:

Yeah, she could be mean. She was an inspirational kinda girl, nonetheless.

By FEN SUCKED FOGS on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 04:26 am:

"It is with great sadness that our family announces the sudden passing of Leslie Harpold
    in December of 2006"

"sudden passing" are the exact code words we used to disguise what my father did. if you did that to yourself, Leslie, then fuck you. your finest hour was yet to come, so fuck you you selfish whoring cunt. I didn't know it at the time but you're part of the reason I never fit in or even *got* the whole web 1.0 scene. You were getting publicity headshots and going the famous route, I just wanted to be among poets and artists. Not starlets. You were fat and unbelievably bitter and if you took it that far as to take yourself away from us then fuck you. Eat my cock, which I will now ftp up to you. Up because I still like you. My rosy tomatoes pop squirting from your awful rosy grave, YOUR HANDY VOLUME ROLLED INTO AN URN GOOD FUCKING NIGHT AND WE'LL SEE YOU TOMORROW YOU SELFISH GREEDY FUCK

Lucifer Sansfoi
    Varlet Sansfoi

Omer Perdieu
    I.B.Perdie
    Billy Perdy

I'll unwind your
    guts from Durham
    to Dover
    and bury em
    in Clover--

Your psalms I'll 'ave
    engraved
    in your toothbone--

Your victories
    nilled--
    You jailed under
    a woman's skirt
    of stone--

Stone blind woman
    with no guts
    and only a scale--

Your thoughts and letters
    Shandy'd about
    in Beth

(Gaelic for grave).

Your philosophies
    run up your nose
    again--

Your confidences
    and essays bandied
    in ballrooms
    from switchblade
    to switchblade

--Your final
    duel with
    sledge hammers--
    Your essential
    secret twinned
    to buttercups
    & dying--

Your guide to 32
    European cities
    scabbed in Isaiah
    --Your red beard
    snobbed in
    Dolmen ruins
    in the editions
    of the Bleak--

Your saints and
    Consolations bereft
    --Your handy volume
    rolled into
    an urn--

And your father
    and mother besmeared
    at thought of you
    th'unspent begotless
    crop of worms
    --You lay
    there, you
    queen for a
    day, wait
    for the "fen-
    sucked fogs"
    to carp at you

Your sweety beauty
    discovered by No Name
    in its hidingplace
    till burrs
    part from you
    from lack
    of issue,
    sinew, all
    the rest--
    Gibbering quiver
    graveyard Hoo!

The hospital
    that buries
    you
    be Baal,
    the digger
    Yorick,
    & the shoveler
    groom--

My rosy tomatoes
    pop squirting
    from your awful
    rotten grave--

Your profile,
    erstwhile
    Garboesque,
    mistook by earth-
    eels for some
    fjord to
    Sheol--

And your timid
    voice box
    strangled
    by lie-hating
    earth
    forever.

May the plighted
    Noah-clouds
    dissolve in grief
    of you--

May Red clay
    be your center,
    & woven into necks
    of hogs, boars,
    booters and pilferers
    & burned down
    with Stalin, Hitler
    & the rest--

May you bite
    your lip that
    you cannot
    meet with God--
    or
    Beat me to a pub
    --Amen

The Almoner
    his cup hath
    no bottom,
    nor I
    a brim.

Devil, get thee
    back
    to russet caves.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact