The Epic of Gilgamesh

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: The Epic of Gilgamesh
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Warner on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 05:18 pm:

Easily the coolest thing ever written on a clay tablet! I bought this old translation at a book fair, and found the exact same translation on the internet. It's about Gilgamesh, king of Uruk, and at the beginning he was this crazy bastard. Then the gods create a man / beast to defeat him for his bastardly ways. Anyway you gotta read it, it's got love, hate, sex, violence, acid trips through hell and conversations with Noah. What more could a poor boy want? I have a copy I can email you. Just drop me a line.

Warner

By Isolde on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 11:23 pm:

God! I love the epic of Gilgamesh. I named my cockatiel Ishtar before I realized he was a guy. Did you get the lyric version or a book version? I had a great lyric version that just left the missing chunks out, so about half the wasn't there. It was strange.

By JusMiceElf on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 08:38 am:

I read Gilgamesh in college for a class on myth and ritual. The professor was great when he was on, but a lot of days, he gave half-hearted lectures and let us out early. On the day we read Gilgamesh, he gave the greatest lecture I ever saw out of him. He really got down to the nitty gritty, I wish he could remember what his exact words were, but it was a passionate speech about the love that Gilgamesh held for Enkidu, which compelled him to go to the underworld to bring Enkidu back.

If you like Gilgamesh, seek out the story of Innana as well. There's a great translation of it that we read for the same class. The language is beautiful. There's a section where Innana, who is a goddess, goes to the underworld to recover her human lover, much as Gilgamesh did with Enkidu. There is also a section describing the courtship of Innana and Dumuzi, with wonderful imagery. I'll have to find my copy, and post some.

By Markus on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 11:28 am:

By Warner on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 12:07 pm:

It's nice to see a few other people who enjoy forgotten literature. Most people I know think I'm a freak because I dispise Clancey and King. If you like epic stories / poems you also might want to try Beowulf. I read it in high school, and stole a copy because I liked it so much. Then I lent the copy to someone and now I can't find it.

By Mungo on Monday, March 13, 2000 - 02:54 am:

I read this masterpiece by some Seuss guy... 'Green Eggs" or something. That motherfucker can turn a goddamned phrase!

By J on Monday, March 13, 2000 - 02:52 pm:

Mungo are you the dude that sang if her daddy,s rich take her out for a meal,if her daddy,s poor just do what you feel?If you did I just want you to know I don,t think that,s nice.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact