Spider

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Spider
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

Well, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm gonna.

1. It's called "Spider" -- I mean, come on.
    2. It's got Ralph Fiennes in it.
    3. It's about mental illness.
    4. It sounds depressing.

I'm so there!

Here is the Onion's review.

By Spider on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

Speaking of depressing, have any of you (Kazoo, I'm looking at you) seen "The Wings of the Dove"?

I saw it again last night and was again impressed by how completely, satisfyingly depressing it was. Everyone ends up miserable or dead, but it just feels so right, you know? It couldn't have ended any other way.

By patrick on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

"Everyone ends up miserable or dead, but it just feels so right, you know? It couldn't have ended any other way."

goth

By Spider on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

No, let me tell you the bare plot, so you can see what I mean:

Kate grew up poor but was recently taken under the wing of her rich aunt. Kate loves Merton, a fine young man who is also poor, and Kate's aunt forbids her to see him any longer. Kate meets Millie, a very rich, orphaned American girl. Millie meets Merton and likes him, but Merton is in love with Kate and Kate only. Kate finds out Millie is dying, and decides that Merton should pretend to be in love with Millie so that she will leave him all her money, and then Kate and Merton can marry. Merton, being a good, honest young man, doesn't like the idea, but Kate pushes him into it. Kate, oddly, gets jealous of the fact that Millie is in love with Merton.

Millie dies. Merton gets her money. He feels terrible. He tells Kate he will marry her, but without accepting Millie's money. Kate says fine, but only if you can promise me that you aren't in love with Millie's memory. Merton is silent.

FIN.

Classic tragedy!

I was on a tear-jerker kick this week..."Regeneration," "Gallipoli," and "The Wings of the Dove." All excellent, all very sad.

By kazoo on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

I haven't seen that movie, but it sounds like my kind of thing. I'm trying to think of other movies like that...where a happy ending would have ruined it. I am actually generally opposed to happy endings...I like a good depressing ending and I like loose ends, however, precious few directors are able to pull that off well.

By kazoo on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

I'm taking notes since I will soon be aquiring an automobile so that I can actually get to Movies Worth Watching which is a video store that made me drool the first (and only) time I've been there.

I could get a ride, I suppose, but it seems like lately the only times I want to watch rented movies is when I am alone.

By semillama on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:58 pm:

Here's a contribution to movies with good downer endings:

12 Monkeys

I'm sure I will think of more.

By Spider on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

"it seems like lately the only times I want to watch rented movies is when I am alone."

Hey, me, too. I like being able to cry freely. :)

I also have this weird quirk that makes me extremely irritated when I have to listen to other people reacting to what's going on onscreen. To me, even at home, you need to shut up and keep your reactions silent until the end of the movie. (Tears and laughter don't count.) I hate it when I'm yanked out of the movie onto the couch by, "What is he doing?? EWW!" or whatever.

Because, you know, I *like* being emotionally drained and stunned into silence. Okay? When Oskar Schindler is weeping and saying he could have done more, I want to suffer along with him...I don't want to hear a running commentary from the person next to me! AAARGH!

*sigh*

My mom, brother, and I have made a date to watch "The Thin Red Line" tonight, and I'm preparing myself for the frustration I'm going to feel....my mom is notorious for killing my buzz during the great parts of movies.

By dave. on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:15 pm:

i hate that, too. agatha's always trying to sleuth stuff out -- usually verbally. she's also a pathological rewind-pause-fastforwarder which totally fucks with the flow.

and she hogs the couch.

By patrick on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

word.

nico is always getting up in the middle asking me to pause it, rewind it "what did he say? rewind rewind rewind"...totally ruining any flow what so ever.

and she too, hogs the couch and blankie (even before preggers)

just drink 12-er of bud and fart up a shitstorm, you might find you'll have the couch all to yourself.

By kazoo on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 07:04 pm:

"I also have this weird quirk that makes me extremely irritated when I have to listen to other people reacting to what's going on onscreen."

God, I hate that...crying, laughing...whatever is fine, as soon as the sound becomes a word, I become ubelievably irritated. I have a hard time concentrating, particularly when watching rented movies. One of my friends here does this constantly. I had to tell her that I wasn't going to watch movies with her if she didn't shut up.

I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.

By Guilty ophelia on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

yeah...i do that sometimes...talk during movies. but not during sad movies. i talk during scary movies to keep myself from being too scared (but that only lasts for a while, cause then i get scared anyways and leave) and sometimes during comedies, and almost always during cheesy romantic comedies, cause i have a lot of friends who like those, and the only way i can put up with them is to give a sarcastic commentary. but never during sad or really interesting/wierd movies. but sometimes i'm aware that its gotta be annoying to people around me, and i dont know why, but sometimes even then i keep doing it. i'll say something and then in my head be like oh shit i should have just kept my mouth shut. i dunno. i am like that in life too. if i'm bored with a situation i usually blurt something out that didn't really need to be said. hmmpf, i frustrate myself sometimes...

By kazoo on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 11:46 am:

"during cheesy romantic comedies"

the only possible way to enjoy most romantic comedies is when you have sarcastic commentary to accompany it and even then it's difficult.

"i have a lot of friends who like those"

friends don't let friends watch bad romantic comedies without sarcastic commentary.

I hate romantic comedies. There are a few that rightfully belong in that category that I will admit to enjoying, but otherwise...no. Someone tell Meg Ryan that she's not cute anymore.

By wisper on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 03:18 pm:

oh ophelia, you're a better person just by being able to admit it.

By Spider on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 01:43 pm:

OK, I just wanted to update you all on the Thin Red Line viewing experience that went down this weekend. True to form, my mother made frequent comments and noises of surprise, which, you know, would be acceptable if she hadn't seen the movie three times already. But *I* ruined the experience by having frequent sneezing fits! Oh, the irony...

My brother really liked the movie, so much so that he couldn't even talk about it afterwards.

I was reminded why this movie changed my life when I first saw it 3-4 years ago.

I love the idea of the alligator -- nature's cruelty -- being captured by the soldiers. I love all the instances in which you see a little animal just sitting in a tree during all of the fighting, or that scene in which one of the soldiers touches a mimosa leaf during the assault on the hill.

I love how life-conscious the movie is....this is what separates it from all other war movies, IMHO. Other war movies focus so single-mindedly on the action that you nearly forget that anything else exists. This movie lets you see how insignificant this battle / this war / these people are in the scheme of creation. At the same time, though, you see in the character of Witt something bigger, maybe precisely because he seems to have connected with creation and is conscious of it even while he's fighting.

By Spider on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

PS. If it isn't clear, I think everyone here should see the Thin Red Line, if you haven't already. Go back and see it again, if you have.

By kazoo on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

Spider, come to Atlanta and be my friend.

By Spider on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

Gosh, thanks! :)

Well, you know, I do want to look for a new job soon....and I don't want to stay in this area....

By sarah on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

i am a total sucker for romantic comedies. the cheesier the better. i'm serious.

you've got mail? adored it. watched it twice in a row.

two weeks notice? same plot as you've got mail... loved it.

the bachelor
    green card
    high fidelity
    america's sweethearts
    serendipity
    (okay... all john cusack films)
    forces of nature
    notting hill
    moonstruck
    my best friend's wedding
    sleepless in seattle
    four weddings and a funeral
    sweet home alabama
    splash
    forget paris
    life or something like it (okay, that one was kinda lame)
    the tall guy
    when harry met sally

and i'm really looking forward to seeing How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days. love that shit! love it!

By semillama on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:08 pm:

Spider: The Thin Red Line is one of my all-time favorites. I think I have already gushed about it on another post, specifically how it kicked Saving Private Ryan's Ass.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between how people those two movies against each other and what their views on the coming war in Iraq are.

By Spider on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:15 pm:

Whoa, that *would* be interesting.

I hang around another message board with 1000s of active posters. I'll post a thread over there tomorrow morning (I actually have work to do this afternoon!) and see what the results are like.

By Devotchka on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:35 pm:

penis in ear = dance all night.

I've become a sucker for romantic anime, but I don't like the cheesy Love Hina crap. I swore I'd stay away from it, I feel a little foolish, I don't want anyone to know, but Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances), the first 5 eps I sobbed my eyes out. And then promptly ran out to get the manga.

Gainax is always win, they're brilliant! But they've got a hardon for ruining the ending, ala evangelion, or abenobashi mahou shotengai.

By patrick on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

yeah spider, i too have gushed about that flic as well. One of my fav war flics.

The biggest difference to me are the scenes of tranquility depicted as well as war.

if you havent, see Badlands with Sissy Spacek. Same film maker, 20 years earlier.

By kazoo on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

ah...Badlands.

I second that recommendation

By patrick on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

why do you think Thin Red Line was so star-packed?

This film maker Malick, didnt write/direct anything from 78 to 98, Days of Heaven with Rochard gere. havent seen it but its supposed to be the shit too.

He just didnt want to do anything that was crap its assumed.

So when it was announced he was to do a remake of the the 1964 version of Thin Red Line so many actors jumped at the opportunity.

By wisper on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

oh GOD, sarah!

By wisper on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

oh GOD sarah!
    my eyes are bleeding!

By sarah on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:12 am:

i know i know. it's ill, isn't it? can't get enough of 'em though.

i'm also a total sucker for adam sandler movies. i went and saw Mr. Deeds on the big screen on its opening day. i was with kevin back then, begged him to go with me. he always indulged my romantic comedy / adam sandler habit - he said he had as much fun watching me enjoy them as he did watching the movie. we payed $7.75 each to see Mr. Deeds. yes ma'am we did. laughed my ass off the whole way through.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:12 am:

i know i know. it's ill, isn't it? can't get enough of 'em though.

i'm also a total sucker for adam sandler movies. i went and saw Mr. Deeds on the big screen on its opening day. i was with kevin back then, begged him to go with me. he always indulged my romantic comedy / adam sandler habit - he said he had as much fun watching me enjoy them as he did watching the movie. we payed $7.75 each to see Mr. Deeds. yes ma'am we did. laughed my ass off the whole way through.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:43 am:

My aunt asked me to watch this Masterpiece Theatre miniseries called "Wives and Daughters" this weekend. I didn't want to, but I agreed to for her sake, and I have to admit I liked it very much.

It was like a Jane Austen story, but better -- the characters were much less stilted and did things like yell at their parents and such, and the story was more interesting.

The main character was a very good but plain-spoken young woman who falls for -- no, not the handsome sensitive poet or the sinister rakish fellow, but the quiet humble biologist who's interested in insects. This alone made me like the story.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:49 am:

Er, to clarify, I liked the story for several reasons, but the biologist-as-love-interest angle sold it.

By kazoo on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:50 am:

"quiet humble biologist who's interested in insects"

like Harvey Klinger?

By Spider on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:58 am:

Hee! No, this man *is* interested in women, just not the main character, at first.

By kazoo on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:18 am:

So in the end, they go steady?

By patrick on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:32 am:

you made a date to watch Masterpiece Theater with your aunt spider?

Am i reading this right?

Bwwhahahahahahahahahahahahahha

pay back for laughing at my drunken tumble ya big dork.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:48 am:

The end is kind of weird.

See, he (Roger) was in love with her (Molly's) stepsister, Cynthia. But he went away on an expedition to Africa for two years, and during that time, he realized Cynthia didn't really love him (she hardly wrote him during his absence) and he was only in love with an idea of her. He had thought of Molly as a sister, but when he returns home, he realizes he really does love her when he sees her at a dance.

Molly had always loved Roger (and studied insects in his absence -- what is that but a sign of true love?), but when he returns home, she's really skittish around him. This is the weird part... I completely understand the skittishness around someone you secretly love, being that way myself, but Molly didn't seem to be that kind of person at all. She was always very forthright. Anyway, there was no explanation for it in the story....she just ran away from him and cried for no apparent reason.

Finally, though, just as Roger is leaving for Africa again, Molly runs after his carriage in the rain. He hadn't taken the carriage after all, so they meet in the square. As Roger has just been in a house with a scarlet fever patient, he can't get near Molly, so he confesses his love for her at a distance and asks her to marry him. She says yes, but still seems rather confused.

Anyway, at the very end, you see that they have gotten married and Molly has gone with Roger to Africa, so they can study the wildlife together.

Now that I think about it, it was something like a less scandalous version of A.S. Byatt's "Morpho Eugenia" (made into the movie "Angels and Insects"), though "Wives and Daughters" is based on a novel written in the 1860s, so it came first.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:50 am:

Patrick, no, my aunt has the DVD set of the series, and she loaned it to me when I saw her on Sunday. I watched the episodes Sunday night and last night.

By kazoo on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:52 am:

"and studied insects in his absence -- what is that but a sign of true love?"

just like Marcia!

By wisper on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 06:15 pm:

holy crap, i've never heard of anyone laughing at Mr.Deeds.

but wasn't Punch Drunk Love amazing?

By Spider on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

I haven't seen "Spider" yet (maybe this weekend? when does it come out anyway?), but I did see "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" this weekend.

For the first time. I understand there's something of a cult surrounding this movie.

It was not bad.

I must say I did adore Gary Oldman, though. (Of course I did...I'm a sucker for sweet, dumb characters.) I couldn't get over how benign he seemed.

And what was the story with the running gag of having him discover all these scientific principles?

By semillama on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

I can't remember what that was about. I was in a performance of the play. I was "Alfred" although the character was played as a young boy and very unwilling to be playing the parts of women, to great comedic effect!

By eri on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

When I went to the video store out here last week I saw the movie "Spider" and immediately thought of you. I almost rented it, but there are still so many movies I want to see and haven't been able to. Maybe I will rent it later.

By semillama on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:31 pm:

I wonder if you saw the same movie, since it just was released to theaters.

Anyway, I saw it on friday. HOLY SHIT.

It's fucking fantastic. Really. it;s one of those movies that gets better DAYS after you see it, because you can't stop thinking about it, and it affects you. it really gets inside you and crawls around your head.

It's definitely the most disquieting movie I have ever seen, and I strongly urge everyone to see this one. It's Cronenberg's best that I have ever seen, and Ralph Fiennes does a killer job. It does move very slow though, but use that pace to take in the details - the stuff happening in the background, the nuances of Fiennes' character.

Plus, Miranda Richardson - totally screws your head. I can't say more or I'll spoil the movie.

All around, one of the top movies of the year for me - should be an oscar contender for Best Actor for Fiennes and Best Director for Cronenberb if there is any justice.

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

It was in the DC-area theatres a couple of months ago, and it only stuck around for, like, two weeks. I wanted to see it badly then, and what you're saying makes me want to see it even more. Goddamn it.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:46 am:

I finally rented "Spider" this weekend -- I thought it was fantastic. The ending was so surprising to me I had to see it twice, and then I saw it again with the director's commentary, and now I think I understand it fully. My favorite thing was realizing which was the one scene that Spider's dad was himself and not who Spider was seeing him as being.

I also rented "Willard," which I'll watch tonight. Bring on the freaks!

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:27 am:

I have to rent that again. It was not the appropriate movie for me to watch that day and I was left confused. I probably wouldn't have watched it anyway 'cept it was due the next morning. I was playing internet games while I tried to watch it...it was one of those days, a movie that I know inside and out would have been better.

Dearest Spider will you do me a favor?

By semillama on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:33 am:

Yay! I'm glad you liked it SPider.

I rented Identity this weekend. I liked that too.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:19 am:

What would you like me to do, Miss Kazu?

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:35 am:

Re-reading your posts on depressing movies and also the thin red line has led me to think that you should be telling me me which movies I should be watching. I've noted Wings of the Dove, but also what other movies would you recommend? I am talking about things that will open the floodgates or otherwise stun me into silence.

I need to watch the thin red line again.

And of course, if anyone else has any recommendations....

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:47 am:

Do you want a list of depressing movies, or any kind of movie that I'd think you'd like?

Off the top of my head:

Exotica -- despite what the cover looks like, it's not cheesy soft porn. It's a really neat (and depressing) story of four characters and how they're connected, told sort of out of chronological sequence. Directed by Atom Egoyan.

Secretary -- Sarah and I posted about this a few months ago. I still think it's one of the most perfect movies I've ever seen. Not depressing.

Shoot, I'm brain-dead right now. I'll post more when I think of them.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:50 am:

Oh, you have to see "The Celebration." I've plugged it so many times on this board....trust me, it's good.

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:54 am:

Yeah, I figured this could be an ongoing discussion.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, but I am particularly interested in movies that are beautifly depressing.

The night I watched Exotica was, by far, one of the most depressing nights of my life. And I don't even remember what the movie was about. This was about six years ago.

This is not just about recommending movies, I'm inviting you (and you and you and you) into a larger "project" I am working on. No pressure, there is no format or deadline. It's not that kind of "project."

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:54 am:

Here's the thread about Secretary. There are lots of spoilers in there, but it won't matter (if I do say so myself).

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:07 pm:

Hmmm...beautifully depressing... The Celebration is certainly in that category. Let me think of some others.

Jesus' Son

Ordinary People

Dead Man Walking

Bloody Sunday

Bastard Out of Carolina

Nil By Mouth

La Strada (an Italian movie, by Fellini...it's not surreal or grotesque, though)

Unforgiven

(I, um, I cried this weekend watching the episode of *deep breath* Angel in which Doyle dies, because the actor who played him died himself about a year ago. Why do people have to die senselessly?)

I'll think of some others...

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

Why can't I find The Celebration on imdb?

By Rowlf on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:14 pm:

despite the mixed reviews, I really enjoyed Willard. Maybe not enough to buy, but i was really engulfed in it when i saw it in the theater...

after that Angel episode when Doyle died, I stopped watching Angel AND Buffy, entirely. I didnt want to live in a non-Doyle Buffy universe. I know Whedon wanted to shock the audience by killing off a major character early with Buffy but couldnt do it, so he did it with Angel, and look what it cost him.

Me.

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

I couldn't get into Angel. I never liked his character even on Buffy--tall, dark, and forehead.

By wisper on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

i think Identity must have been written by Donald Kaufman.

By semillama on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

that's possible.

It's a neat little film. Nothing to get excited about, but definitely was made for viewing on a boring saturday night on the couch with some beer and popcorn.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

Wow, I stopped watching Angel after Doyle died, too. He had been my favorite, and I thought his death was handled poorly. I started watching on and off again during season 3.

It's all about the non-Angel characters, for me. I don't think he's attractive (and think it's weird/hilarious that other characters will often mention how good-looking he is), and he's a wooden actor.

Here you go, Kazu.

By semillama on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

and as far as depressing films go, I just saw Mystic River and that was quite depressing. It's set in the Flats (?) of Boston, so Kazu could probably go on at length about what's right or wrong about the setting and accents. But that movie really does get you down in the end. There is nothing happy in this film. It's almost too sorrowful and tragic, you know? I don't think it's oscar worthy, but it was close.

My one complaint about the filming: the stock footage. You can always tell the stock footage of the river in Boston because there are always the same ducks taking off from the river. The same footage in fact was used twice in the movie, although they digitally changed the second time to make it seem like twilight.

Other depressing movies: ANYTHING Solodz does.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

Ooh, Mystic River! I forgot to see that this weekend, but maybe I can do it this week. That looks like an excellently depressing movie.

Anything that involves the theme of repentence/redemption is my kind of thing.

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

"Kazu could probably go on at length about what's right or wrong about the setting and accents"

I don't think I would have much to say about setting since I am not familiar with the Flats as I think it is in east boston. As far as accents go...you know, Boston accents are not charming to hear and somehow movies tend toward making them even more annoying than they already are.

Boondock Saints is my favorite Boston movies which is hilarious and not at all depressing and the accents are terrific, the boston ones, the irish ones, the russian ones, the italian ones. It's worth it, if only to see Willem Dafoe as a gay FBI agent.

By semillama on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

If you are into redemption, Mystic River is not the movie.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

It's even more satisfying when someone wants redemption but doesn't get it.

Unforgiven did this very well. I LOVE the "I used to be bad, but I've changed....oh no, the evil is still there inside me!" theme.

By dave. on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

i watched donnie darko a couple times this weekend and i now have a bit of a crush on maggie gyllenhaal.

i still think secretary would annoy me, based solely on the reviews here.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

Hater.

By semillama on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

Spider, I think you will really enjoy Mystic River then.

By dave. on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:54 pm:

they're good reviews and i thank you for them because now i know not to get the movie(s).

whatever.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

Plural?

Dude. Why don't you get the movie and see if it's as unpleasant as you think it is, to test your instinct? If you still think it's lame, that's fine, but judge it for yourself.

By dave. on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:26 pm:

i could do that.

nahhh.

movies exploring romantic relationships don't appeal to me. if that's the focus of the movie, i'm not interested.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 05:18 pm:

I'm trying to think of a way of explaining why it's not just a love story, but everything I type sounds cheesy, and it's not a cheesy movie. Ah, forget it.

By Platypus on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:41 pm:

The Royal Tennenbaums. In my humble opinion an excellent/humbling/good depressing type movie. The sound track is really well organized and flows with the movie, as I may have mentioned before. This is, in particular, one scene which I watch over and over again sometimes, late at night.

Dave: It's not just a love story. Watch it, it's good.

By beta on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:06 am:

did anyone mention dancer in the dark, or breaking the waves?
    imho, both are even better than the celebration (and them's some big shoes to fill)

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:29 am:

I disagree. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of the happiest movies that I have ever seen. Manic and neurotic absolutely and depressing at times, but that is a happy movie, if ever I saw one. If the little excursion that Royal takes his grandkids on isn't one of the most uplifting movie seqences, I don't know what is. I really don't like happy-endings but that was one I totally loved and it makes me go wee wee wee all the way home. The moment that Chas Tenebaum pokes his head around and you see the four guys riding the garbage truck, if I'm not weeping already that'll do it.

I'm going to cry just thinking about it.

I love Breaking the Waves. I haven't seen Dancer in the Dark yet; it's on the "List" but I always forget about it.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:01 am:

well, I don't think that having one or two uplifing sequences determines whether or not a movie is happy....but I still maintain that TRT is a happy movie. And not really the kind of movie I'm looking for right now...the kind of movie that would have been utterly ruined by a happy ending, because the movie makes it impossible, like The Butcher Boy.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:42 am:

"1984" depressed the hell out of me.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

Ooh, the Butcher Boy. Good call.

Add Regeneration to the list. But if you watch it, make sure you get the British version, not the re-edited American version called Behind the Lines.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

Regeneration! Thank you spider. I remember seeing a preview for it years ago and had since totally forgetten about it.

By agatha on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:14 pm:

Breaking the Waves made me want to slit my wrists in the bathtub.

Brutal.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

When Trumpets Fade is a good one too. I'll even say "Saving Private Ryan" even though I don't think it was as good as it could have been. It was still damn depressing.

A Handmaiden's Tale based on the Margaret Atwood novel was also depressing.

Ironweed was another one.

By wisper on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:03 am:

Dancer in the Dark destroyed me in ways i never thought possible, and i cant stand Bjork, so that's quite a feat.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:52 am:

I agree. That was a severely morbidly depressing movie.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:52 am:

I've heard the Japanese cartoon The Grave of the Fireflies is incredibly sad. I'm kind of afraid to see it. I enjoy satisfyingly sad movies, not ones which you wish *didn't* end like they do.

By TBone on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

I was afraid to see Grave of Fireflies too. Then I saw it.
    Be afraid.
    I'm not saying it's a bad movie, their. It's a good movie. Just really really sad.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:01 pm:

"I agree. That was a severely morbidly depressing movie"

I think "unfair" is the more accurate word

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 02:33 pm:

I saw Mystic River today, and it was good, and overly depressing.

the bad part though was at times Eastwood's direction seemed... condescending. The cut-aways to young Robbins running through the woods, and the above shot of Penn yelling "Why???!!!!!!" - when I see stuff like that I normally chock it up to bad filmmaking, but in this case when I know Eastwood knows better I see it as him maybe not respecting the audience enough to expect better, to be able to piece together what a character is thinking based on where he is and how he's reacting.

By Spider on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:11 pm:

Continuing the tradition of watching depressing movies that wreck you afterwards, I watched The Forsyte Saga, Pt 2 yesterday, and it damn near killed me.

In the first part of the saga, you meet Soames Forsyte, who isn't a bad man, just extraordinarily uptight and controlled and duty-bound. He falls in love with Irene Heron, who is aloof and bewitching and artistic, and he is determined to marry her (even though he can't express his love in a normal way, and she can't stand him). But she's poor and her family needs Soames' money, so she marries him.

He is passionately in love with her, but she despises him and won't let him talk to her, let alone touch her, and he bottles up all his feeling inside his stick-up-the-ass exterior. All kinds of shit goes down, and one night, Soames creeps into Irene's bedroom and rapes her. (Or as he sees it, exerts the marital rights that she owes him.) And then even more shit goes down, Irene leaves him for a dumbass, causes a huge scandal, he chases her around Europe demanding she give him an heir, she divorces him and marries his cousin, and then years later he marries a young French girl and has a daughter, Fleur. So ends Part 1.

Part 2 takes up when Fleur is a young woman, and Soames and Irene are in their 60s (but with the same actors, aged). But I didn't give a shit about Fleur -- I'm all about Soames, who is too much like my father for comfort, and for whom I feel so badly. He has such love and misery inside, and none of the other characters can see it -- they only see how hideously rigid he appears.

Gah, there were so many moments in this series that just wrecked me.

But the worst was the very last scene. Soames and Irene have been forced to interact because their children (not related) have fallen in love and the kids keep trying to get the two of them to reconcile, to disastrous effect. Irene shudders at the sight of Soames, and Soames loves Irene still and is inwardly horrified that Irene hates him so. But at the end, the children have married other people (and Soames has basically lost his daughter, and his French wife has left him), Irene is moving away, and Soames will never see her again. So he goes to her house on an errand, and Irene is actually civil to him, and she offers to shake his hand. And in an embarrassing display of desperation, he hurriedly removes his glove so that he he can touch her hand with his bare skin. They shake hands, he holds on a little longer than he should, and then they part.

And the last shot is of him walking away from her house with a spring in his step, as though touching Irene's hand was the most joyful moment in his long and miserable life.

GAH! Just tear my heart to shreds already.

And it doesn't help that afterwards, I thought about how hard it was growing up with a father who ignored me and who never expressed his feelings. And how it is for me now, how I continue the cycle, because it hurts too much to put yourself out there and keep getting ignored, and how I'm called cold and hard-hearted, when really I'm not, not at all.

And now I'm depressed, and it's not even PMS time.

Fuck.

By Gee on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 11:03 am:

you told that very well. it sounds very sad.

By Spider on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:30 pm:

Oh, it is. I almost wish I hadn't seen it.

By J on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:12 pm:

I wish I wouldn't have seen the movie Wrong Turn about cannible killers from W.V.,but at least I saw it on t.v.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact