But I'm A Cheerleader

sorabji.com: Worst movie you ever saw: But I'm A Cheerleader
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

okay, so it wasn't really the WORST but still a big let down...

the first bit of this movie was brilliant, fresh and hilarious.
    After that, everything that made it funny or interesting was driven into the ground and became so overused it got boring. Then tedious. Then annoying. Then downright painful to watch. It was a decent idea taken WAY too far. Ru Paul was a giggle and the costumes and sets were great but goddamn guys, we got the point after the first 45 minutes or less. There’s nothing more painful than an ending you can see coming just by reading the video box. i was relieved to see the credits.

By patrick on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 03:09 pm:

you saw this movie with too many expectations.

i thought it was a cute light hearted film. this film has no cinematic value at all as far as I am concerned other than sheer entertainment.

you should have seen the June 2000 issue of Out magazine we published....holy caca moly nipples everywhere.

By spunky on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

Jawbreaker. THAT SUCKED.
    Drop Dead Gorgeous THAT SUCKED
    New(er) Sandra Buttocks movie where she is FBI and has to do a Ms America Pagent, THAT SUCKED
    (cant you tell I am married to a woman from planet Look at Me! Look at Me! ?

By patrick on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 03:14 pm:

oops....man im really out of it today.

the mag issue i speak of, had those two girls on the cover.

By spunky on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 03:15 pm:

By the way, I loved Perfect Storm, but did think Clowney's acting sucked. And yeah right, based on a true story. The only thing true about it is that the damn boat sunk during a storm. that's about it
    Oh, and just about anything with Kevin Coaster sucks big shit. Except maybe Feild of Dreams, but the good stuff had nothing to do with him

By Nate on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

perfect storm sucked nuts.

i saw dude, where's my car last night. it was funny.

By spunky on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

Oh, the English Patient. That is the worst movie I ever saw

By semillama on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

Ragin' Cajun is one of the worst. So is Carnosaur, which came out the same time as Jurassic Park and had HAND PUPPETS as part of the FX.

Actually, the fact it had hand puppets is what I liked the best about that movie.

By Spider on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

I saw A Thousand Acres last night. I liked it.

By semillama on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

That sounds like a really boring survey job to me.
    The title, not watching the movie.

By wisper on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

i thought Drop Dead Gorgeous was funny as hell.
    "Meh-hee-Co"
    funny.

i didn't expect anything from Cheerleader except that it would be funny and cute, which is was, to a point. Surely you agree that it was repetitive. I dunno.

Costner must die.

By patrick on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 06:12 pm:

i think this thread is getting me all hot

By Nate on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 06:14 pm:

i liked drop dead gorgeous. my parents didn't.

everything gets you hot, patrick. that's what you get for not wearing underwear.

By Nate on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 06:15 pm:

i bet you cut the pockets out of your pants, too.

By patrick on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

im laughing and getting hot at the SAME TIME!!!!

i think my excitability today has something to do with the cokesex last night.

By Cat on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 06:33 pm:

I love the noir. I love to boogie.

"Drop Dead Gorgeous" was funny. Not as funny as "Wag the Dog". Robert Altman rules. If you haven't seen "Strictly Ballroom" or "Muriel's Wedding", you ain't ground beef. "American Beauty" was a great film but it annoyed me the way everyone carried on like it was ground-breaking and revolutionary.

I wish Oscar Wilde had written film scripts, then his genius would be more fully understood. Actually there's a lot of people who should still be here and too many who shouldn't.

By Cat on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 06:36 pm:

Oh I forgot to mention in the whole 'movies I would hump' thing that I liked "Happy, Texas". (Shut up Antigone)

By Czarina on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 03:26 am:

Dude,wheres my car,was funny,and entertaining,and had some great lines....."and then?"
    Scary Movie 2 was shamelessly funny.I'm still snickering.I should be ashamed that I found it that funny,but I'm not.
    Drop Dead Gorgeous was funny.
    Happy Texas was quite entertaining,and had some memorable scenes.

By J on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 11:57 am:

I loved Muriel's Wedding,I think I might be the only one in Arizona to see it though.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 01:26 pm:

"American Beauty" was revolutionary just because it was made, released, and people actually watched it. The movie itself was exceptional, but I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

The soundtrack, on the other hand...

By spunky on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 01:46 pm:

You know what is exceptional about it?
    It was the first movie of its kind in a long time
    that was ORIGINAL.
    Boy meets girl, boy marries girl, girl cheats on boy, boy gets shot by daugter's boyfriends dad because he would not return affection.
    That is original

By spunky on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

Oh,
    and the title, at least to me, is not about the girl the dad lusts after. It sum's up what makes america today.

Pedophilia
    Potsmoking
    Cheating
    Teen's angst over parents
    And angst over rejection
    That is the Beauty of America

By Nate on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

jesus christ.

american beauty had a profound effect on my life.

and it has nothing to do with pedophilia, potsmoking, cheating, teen angst, or real estate.

By heather on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

KEVIN SPACEY

By Nate on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

and it has everything to do with kevin spacey.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

I have to say this was his best role

By heather on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

STOP SAYING THOSE THINGS!!!!???!!!

PLeaSE!!

By Cat on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

Kevin Spacey was good. Not all-time great, but good.

I just got annoyed when it came out and everyone pretended it was an "indie" film with real "cred". And it was like Hollywood had suddenly invented black comedy. And weren't they brave and forward-thinking and whatever.

Oh never mind me. It's just my personal beef.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

i missed the hype. i just watched the film.

sorry.

you have a personal beef already? damn. i'll cross that off my list.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:00 pm:

What was it about? I think it was about (for me anyway), I think the whole she-bang was about

WAKING UP.

Illumination if you will.

By Cat on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:01 pm:

My point is probably (and I can't be too sure about this since I'm not feeling particularly pointy today) that you wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't for the hype. It wouldn't have even been in the theatre where you saw it. There certainly wouldn't have been 50 copies of it sitting in your video store.

Take the big budget away, the big stars out, and you still have a big story that's worth two hours of our time. It just makes me mad that it's only thanks to Hollywood that it got a voice. There are so many other incredibly amazingly brilliant films out there that don't even get to a screen.

I can always use more beef. Send it down. Preferrably alive and kicking.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:12 pm:

i see your point cat.

it doesn't change the movie for me anymore than the hype does.

By heather on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:14 pm:

you wake up and then you die?

the advantage of certain cities is proximity to little theaters with hype-less films. ok, at least hollywood-hype-less films.

KEVIN SPACEY

By patrick on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

its well established that hype doesnt do shit for a film.

you should have seen the hype for crap ass films like Godzilla and Armageddon. This town was covered in adverts and bullshit. Both were bombs.

People talk about brilliant films. You tell a friend if you see a good film right? Thats the best advertising and hype there is.

and speaking of hype...

i just got my marketing copies of the new issue of Out magazine.

It features "Buffy's Bombshell: Alyson Hannigan" on the cover. HOLYCACAMOLY......

Apparently her vixen role in American Pie 2 is has been elaborated on in the upcoming flic.

gay, straight or whatever....its a hot spread.

it probably wont be to your newsstands for another week or so, but its a gander.

there's some hotbeef hype cat.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

worth a gander that is

By The Watcher on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 02:38 pm:

The absolute worst film of all time is still "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

I haven't seen it all the way through yet.

By TBone on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

I loved plan 9 for the badness.

A girl at work got a big huge tattoo of Bela Lagossi last week.

By Ebony on Wednesday, February 9, 2005 - 12:02 pm:

fuck off that movie was good as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact