Hallelujah

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Hallelujah
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 05:56 am:

Man but this is a fucking awesome song. I've just discovered it but I found out it's from the "Shrek" soundtrack so it's been around forever and I'm mad that I missed out on years and years of it.

Do you know if his other stuff is as soul-touching?

Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah
    (L. Cohen)

I've heard there was
    A secret chord
    That David played, and
    It pleased the Lord
    But you don't really care
    For music, do you?
    It goes like this:
    The fourth, the fifth
    The minor fall, the major lift
    The baffled king
    Composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong
    But you needed proof
    You saw her bathing
    On the roof
    Her beauty and the
    Moonlight overthrew you
    She tied you to a kitchen chair
    She broke your throne
    And she cut your hair
    And from your lips
    She drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe I've been here before
    I know this room
    I've walked this floor
    I used to live alone
    Before I knew you
    I've seen your flag
    On the marble arch
    Love is not a victory march
    It's a cold and
    It's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time
    You let me know
    What's really going on below
    But now you never show
    It to me, do you?
    I remember when
    I moved in, you
    Your holy dark
    Was moving too
    And every breath we drew
    Was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above
    And all I ever
    Learned from love
    Was how to shoot
    At someone
    Who outdrew you
    It's not a cry
    You can hear at night
    It's not somebody
    Who's seen the light
    It's a cold and
    It's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah

By Spider on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 08:22 am:

Are you talking about Leonard Cohen or Rufus Wainwright?

BTW, Jeff Buckley does a much better cover of that song.

By Nate on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:22 am:

yeah, no kidding.

just don't ask jeff to swim.

By Cat on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:40 am:

Rufus is my man. I don't like Buckley's version of it as much. Even though he's dead.

By Spider on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:42 am:

PS. Cat, if it's Leonard Cohen you're digging, check out this thread. Scroll down a ways for his love poems.

I've had the Bukowski poem you posted in my head lately. The one that includes "flesh searches for something more than flesh and nobody ever finds the one."

By Spider on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:43 am:

Oops, didn't see your post.

By Spider on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:44 am:

Dang, I got it wrong.

I'm useless today.

By Cat on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:45 am:

Oh I dig Cohen too.

and Bukowski.

and flesh searching.

By spunky on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:48 am:

I love Rufus Wainwright's Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk.

By Cat on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:18 am:

Spidee, do you think Brautigan and Cohen are kinda alike?

I mean. Cohen is sweeter and Brautigan is hipper but you know, maybe they could be step brothers born a bit of a way apart or something?

By Cat on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:20 am:

Spidee, do you think Brautigan and Cohen are kinda alike?

I mean. Cohen is sweeter and Brautigan is hipper but you know, maybe they could be step brothers born a bit of a way apart or something?

By Cat on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:25 am:

Spidee, do you think my two posts are kinda alike?

(Whoops)

By patrick on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 11:47 am:

cat when are you going to let me take you on my famous Bukowski bar tour?

By Spider on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 12:45 pm:

Cat, you think Cohen is sweeter than Brautigan? Brautigan is the strange, shy man who lives on the corner and has a lovely garden, and Cohen is... I don't know, but I know he smokes too much and doesn't garden.

Hmmm, I've never thought about them being alike. Must reflect upon that...

By Cat on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:04 pm:

Cohen seems to have more pointless crushes than Brautigan, and I reckon that's kinda sweet.

I think Brautigan smokes too. And I see him more in overgrown parks with rusty benches than in his own garden.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 3, 2002 - 11:53 am:

he doesnt smoke much of anything these days.

By Jim aka Pajama on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 08:39 am:

*DISCLAIMER* So, nearly 4 years later I stumble upon this thread. I was about to create a Hallelujah thread when I decided I should check first.

I didn't know Rufus sang the song, let alone on the Shrek soundtrack. I guess because I'm gay, I'm supposed to like Rufus. But with the exception of his cover of the Beatles' Across the Universe, his voice just grates on me. It's very monotone. Maybe I'll check out his Hallelujah.

First time I ever heard Hallelujah, was k.d. lang's cover from her "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" album of covers of Candadian writers' songs. I have never heard Cohen's version. I did hear Buckley's just a couple nights ago and liked it too. But k.d.'s is like going to church... ok maybe a protestant church... it's sumptuous... it's beautiful. She also does his Bird on a Wire.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact