Yes, at "Dr. Laura", a repressive advice-giver whose radio show is on AM airwaves.

sorabji.com: Are you pissed off?: Yes, at "Dr. Laura", a repressive advice-giver whose radio show is on AM airwaves.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Clinton Lee New Orleans Native on Saturday, January 24, 1998 - 11:50 am:
    I would like to share with the good people of Sorabji's WebSite a letter composed yesterday and faxxed to her number (818) 461-5140 last night. Here goes:

Dear "Doctor" Laura, (January 23rd, 1998)
    I have heard on your show your opinions on God and religion.
    As a devout Pagan, I reject this idea of some authoritarian,
    patriarchal, monotheistic God who dictates human affairs in terms
    of public and personal worship and a finely spelled out code of
    morality. This is usually said in a sanctimonious manner to suit the
    fancy of a minority called the Christian Coalition and their associates.
    Morality is relative - not absolute. As a Pagan we have one
    “commandment” - “Ain’ it harm none, do what thy will.” Of course I
    accept the responsibility to take into consideration the “karmic con-
    sequences” but these outdated rules on recreational sexual release
    really suck.
    I will oppose your attempt to impose guilt on us people who are
    in tune with Nature. We believe pleasure in and of itself is pleasing
    to the gods and not an abomination like some stimulus to be
    tolerated for reproduction or an obstacle to Enlightenment.
    The Pagan Coalition will prevail in the New Millenium as the old
    patriarchal system will fade away.
    Signed,
    The Pagan Coalition

By R.C. on Saturday, January 24, 1998 - 01:44 pm:
    Good letter. But from what I've heard abt this Dr. Laura/she'll just read it on the air & tell you to 'grow up'. Then 16 (pre-screened) callers will get on the air & attack you for criticizing her. She's wildly popular -- the Howard Stern of armchair psychologists. Which is a uniquely American phenomena. I'll never understand how 2 min. psychobable responses from a total stranger on the radio can lead to such tremendous fame (& such lucrative contracts!) for these schnooks. I'll bet that shit never happens anywhere but in the U.S.

By R.C. on Saturday, January 24, 1998 - 01:44 pm:
    Good letter. But from what I've heard abt this Dr. Laura/she'll just read it on the air & tell you to 'grow up'. Then 16 (pre-screened) callers will get on the air & attack you for criticizing her. She's wildly popular -- the Howard Stern of armchair psychologists. Which is a uniquely American phenomena. I'll never understand how 2 min. psychobable responses from a total stranger on the radio can lead to such tremendous fame (& such lucrative contracts!) for these schnooks. I'll bet that shit never happens anywhere but in the U.S.

By Slacker on Saturday, January 31, 1998 - 09:46 pm:
    hey R.C. someone is impersonating you and repeating everthing you submit.

By Slacker on Saturday, January 31, 1998 - 09:47 pm:
    hey R.C. someone is impersonating you and repeating everthing you submit.

By Slacker on Saturday, January 31, 1998 - 09:50 pm:
    oh my god.now it's happening to me.
    whoever you are STOP THAT!

By The Crimson Camellia on Thursday, February 5, 1998 - 11:27 pm:
    Dr. Laura responded to my first letter by saying: "Denying God does not change the truth" . . . I don't know how she came to that conclusion. My first letter is posted at the top of this page. Dr. Laura's radio show is what inspired my posting(s).

The Pagan Coalition
    February 3rd, 1998

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for your interesting rebuttal. I’m glad I got your
    attention and got you to think. We could get into a
    philosophical/theological debate that could take centuries. While I
    reject the notion of One True and Right Path, we Pagans have no
    animosity toward Jews, Christians or any other religion, especially if
    people feel comfortable with it. While the word “pagan” strikes terror
    in peoples hearts, associating it with Atheism, Hedonism, human
    and/or animal sacrifice, or devil worship, I found out there is much
    more to Paganism than I knew about.
    The concepts of the soul, origin of man, and the Universe and
    mans’ destiny and the Creator are expressed in many different ways
    through different religions and Paganism is another way which has
    emphasis on Nature and the Earth. We believe man should not be
    afraid of his own nature.
    Xenophobia, caused by misconceptions of another person’s path,
    has led to the Nazi Holocaust in which a lot of your people were
    harmed. The Inquisition/Burning Times was another example of
    abuse of power by clergy and the Church during the Middle Ages.
    While I’m not out to destroy Christianity or Judaism, I intend to
    promote understanding of alternative philosophies not well-known by
    the mainstream. There are enough weird philosophies that include
    Scientific Materialism, the creation of man by aliens from outer space
    (who or what created them?) and many Bible Fundamentalists, so I
    think we should at least listen to the opinions of Nature-based Pagans
    and know that we are not a threat to the physical or spiritual
    well-being of Jews or Christians.
    I know that Jews do no proselytize their faith and have a high
    degree of tolerance toward other religions. I hope this tolerance can
    include Paganism and other non-mainstream religions.

Signed,
    The Pagan Coalition
    p.s.
    You can probably tell that I’m an Art Bell listener.

By Dave on Friday, February 6, 1998 - 01:05 am:
    She used to be not-so-bad, now she's awful and getting worse. Wanna bet she goes nuts? How can such a hyper-opinionated control freak stay sane in this world? Pity her child. Hell, pity her fans.

By Pink Eye on Friday, February 6, 1998 - 01:50 am:
    Hey Dave- I haven't listened to Dr. Laura in quite awhile. She seemed to hit the nail on the head every time I listened. Is she really that fucked up now?

By Dave on Friday, February 6, 1998 - 02:32 am:
    Well, yeah. I used to think she was OK when I first heard her a couple years back. She was like a Dr. Joy Brown with attitude. (I listen to a lot of talk radio at work, music radio drives me nuts after a while. I get all the worst songs stuck in my head) Her "only marriage can make a relationship legitimate" spiel always got the eye-roll from me but I could deal with it. Now, she just browbeats people with morality and religion. I've heard her get callers to admit that they used to go to church but stopped and she'll start hollering about how their family can never be functional without it. Many times. This type of advice seems to be more and more common. Does anyone else get that impression? She's a nut. Damn.

By Dave on Friday, February 6, 1998 - 04:49 pm:
    Update: Dr. Laura seemed rather stable today. I suspect she's back on the meds.

By Pink Eye on Saturday, February 7, 1998 - 12:37 am:
    You are on to something here. I did hear one show where she was ragging on this gal because she was 'pushing' her kids thru Sunday school, etc., and she wasn't attending church herself. Doctor Laura couldn't believe that this mother was doing this, she expected the mother to attend church every Sunday and read from the Bible at home. Now, I don't believe in God, but I don't think one has to go whole hog just to have the right to belong to a religion. Just because you make your kids eat spinach, does that mean you have to eat spinach everyday?

By Skottey on Monday, June 22, 1998 - 11:31 am:
    I believe in God and often listen to Dr. Laura on my AM-only car radio. I think what she is doing with this talk show is actually making shit worse. I know what my beliefs are, in part from the way I was raised and in part from my own experiences. I feel one way or the other on all topics. I cannot say that I agree with everything that mainstreem Christians believe and on the other hand I certainly cannot agree with what athiests say. The most important thing is that we all have a choice to what we want to believe.
    If I had never been introduced to religion and I was listening to this bitch on the radio I would be totally turned away from GOD. She is an embarrasment to Christian beliefs. It is not right for her to shove HER opinions down peoples throats. She is no better than the people who call her, somehow she thinks she is either God or has a more personnal relationship with GOD than anybody else. Has God declared her a disciple, if he has, I am running the other way.
    Bitch! Get your ugly ass off the air.
    GOD, please stop her, she is no better than the TV preachers who take money and lie. It is people like this that give Christians a bad name.

By
April on Wednesday, August 26, 1998 - 02:10 pm:

for skottey.

the message that you added was interesting, but i don't exactly agree with your name-calling. she is not a bitch. she stands up for what she believes, and if YOU don't want to hear it, DON'T LISTEN!! you don't have to turn on the radio. much of what she says has some merit in the world of today, and though i am not a christian, i think that she has slapped many of us back into the real world.
    remember, your words last forever out here... think before you speak...

By Alder on Wednesday, August 26, 1998 - 02:20 pm:

The one thing that I don't understand about christians, and god, is that if god knows when, to whom, and what is going to happen, then why doesn't he just change it? I mean, if he's all powerful, and can change the future, since he created it, then why doesn't he? If it causes him such pain over every soul that is lost to satan, then why can't he just stop that pain? It's kindof like a psychological self-mutilation thingie going on...

Sorry, but I hate it when religious people try to win you over to their side... Dr. Laura? Well, good advice, but the fact that it's basis is in religion... hmmmm... maybe that's not so good...

By -oDDBALL oDD- on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 06:45 am:

Yes, Dr. Laura is kinda shrill about her absolutism. She should go away.

Kinda seems like the people that pay her just might be interested in doing a little sociological reprogramming, what with funding her hogwash.

I have no patience for religious people, especially those that treat god like the owner of some kinda "COUNTRY CLUB IN THE SKY" that only certain people can get into. Any religion that professes to "love your fellow man", but does not allow him to go to heaven, is a religion full of assholes.

By Martin on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 07:56 am:

speaking of shrill and typical...

By -oDDBALL oDD- on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 09:42 am:

Oh! Don't like it?

Who cares?

By Wiser now on Saturday, August 29, 1998 - 11:45 pm:

I stopped listening to Dr. Laura right after I discovered Dr. Joy Brown. She is really wonderful and truly helps people without all the dismissive and malicious spiritied browbeating that Dr. Laura throws at people. Dr. Joy Brown truly has an open mind and allows the callers to discover their own problems that need attention. Then she is kind and directed and solution- oriented and truly works to problem solve with people. I never did understand why people would call Dr. Laura and just allow themselves to be so cruelly slammed. Anyway, give Dr. Joy a try-- she's really terrific ( she's also a real doctor).

By Antigone on Sunday, August 30, 1998 - 07:22 pm:

People call Dr. Laura specifically TO get cruelly slammed. Alot of people think it helps them to be shamed by someone.

Chalk it up to a fucked up childhood, I guess. :-(

By JJ on Thursday, September 17, 1998 - 07:44 pm:

Well, I don't agree with everything that Dr. Laura says. In fact I think that a great deal of it is pretty self righteous. I did, however buy one of her books and it made me really THINK about things. So, in essence it did help me. I think that she is much too harsh in some situations, but some of these callers are asking for it. I mean come on! Does a pregnant woman with a toddler and a boyfriend in PRISON really think that Dr. Laura is going to tell her to stay in the relationship?! I though this caller was joking. Well, anyway - I am no angel myself. I am a working mother who is "shacked up" with my life partner (we are beyond the boyfriend stage). We do not believe as Dr. Laura does that only a piece of paper makes a relationship a committed one. She does not believe that people can truly be loving and committed to one another unless there is that piece of paper. Hogwash!
    Though she did make me see that my FAMILY should be my first and foremost concern. And it is - now.
    Anyway, I am going to give Dr. Joyce Brown a try!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact