why play stupid?

sorabji.com: Are you stoned?: why play stupid?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jennifer on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 02:28 pm:
    when asked this question it's a mass hysteria to answer in the most outrageous and unintelligent response possible. this is something i can not understand simply because i feel the exact opposite happens to me. i tend to comprehend and have a better grasp of things and ideas that are going through my mind. i have met many artist, on many different mediums that say the use of mind altering drugs heighten thier senses and creativity. does any one else agree with this statement?

By Golden Boy on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 04:23 pm:
    well that really depends...i wouldn't consider myself an artist but i do play the guitar..and have a nifty little home studio...so i jam when i can...i usually play when i have free time and am not going anywhere which is the case always..and i like to smoke up when the pals come on by..so the point is, i have recorded myself when high and/or drunk and sober..I have to admit i like both methods equally..when i am high i just feel just about anything i play sounds good, but when i listen to it sober, i can't really remember how i pulled half the shit off...so i try to stay a little more on the sober side when recording to remember how i played things...

i played really high on stage once...and i fell off ....to this day sumthn' aint right with my back...so yeah drugs do heighten sensitivity, my back still aches now and then...

does that count..

By Nate on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 08:22 pm:
    I play a lot of guitar & bass stoned in a living room or garage, with a tiny audience. Last year I lived with the band I was in and basically someone would come over every night to smoke us out and then listen to us play. It kept me high, which could be a good thing and could be a bad thing.

I really like to play & listen to music when I'm high, though. It almost makes it easier to pay attention to not paying attention.

Which makes perfect sense to me.

By AJ on Saturday, February 21, 1998 - 01:55 am:
    I myself think that weed is a gift from God. But thats besides the point why I am here.
    I see that I am amungst (I swear, I do NOT KNOW HOW TO SPELL) people I can relate to, people who are "artsy". Or at least people who are in touch with themselves-I'll get to the point now. I'm getting a tattoo, I want to get a butterfly on the side of my neck, just a small one, up by my hairline. I have long hair so no one will see it unless I show them or have my hair up. I have long hair, and I dont plan on cutting it. Ever. One problem, I'm going to college, majoring in Occupational Thearpy. Dont want to fuck up my future if you know what I mean! My thought is this, I go in for the interview with my hair down, they dont see the tattoo, I get the job! Shit, its not like they are going to check my neck! I have a fake one on now, just to see if I really want it there, and the more I see it, the more I like it. What do you guys think!! If not a butterfly, then what? If not on my neck, then where?

By Pink Eye on Saturday, February 21, 1998 - 02:46 am:
    Jen---I've done some of my best artwork while blazin'. I'm such a perfectionist with my art that sometimes it kills the mood to create or finish a piece. While stoned, I can let go of that nasty ol' perfectionism and still have an outcome that I'm happy with.

By Nate on Saturday, February 21, 1998 - 01:20 pm:
    I agree with the idea that weed is a gift from god. (infact, my belief in god began while high, standing on a beach watching the waves roll in under a full moon.)

Weed has been a doorway to some of the greatest realizations in my life; weed has helped me understand the creative forces behind my writing, visual arts, music. In addition, it has provoked new understandings about god and society that have been endlessly helpful in my life. Since I started smoking (relatively late in life, I guess,) at 21 I've learned to deal with people better, learned to be concerned and interested in the lives of others, increased my generosity and decreased my violence and hate.

I've also lost a lot of discipline and will power. It is a gift that can easily be abused. I find myself "wasting" a bowl on Jet Moto or Jerry Springer.

For all the bad effects of the drugs I've taken, I think the good has made it all worthwhile. Though if I were faced with trying this all over again, or keeping a clean, conservative brain I might reconsider. So maybe I'm just telling myself it's worthwhile.

By Golden BOy on Monday, February 23, 1998 - 09:43 am:
    i saw this bumper sticker once and giggled

God Made Pot Man Made Beer, Who are you going to trust??

oy the humor..

By Nate on Monday, February 23, 1998 - 11:01 am:
    God made nightshade, man made beer. Who are you going to trust?

That should weed out a population.

By Jennifer on Monday, February 23, 1998 - 01:33 pm:
    aj- i say get the tattoo. it's your body and what makes you happy is the important thing. i have one and i never hide it from anyone. it shows strength to do something different from the norm. besides, do you want to work for someone who would frown on body art anyway? not me...lucky for you occupational therapy is a non-conformist occupation anyway.

By Pete on Monday, February 23, 1998 - 02:45 pm:
    ummmm, I'd get the tattoo but really think about where you want to have it done...you might not want it in a real visible location years from now. Well, ya know, it COULD happen...tastes change.

I was thinking of getting a tattoo of a big scar running down my chest, but now I have the real thing. *G*

By Pete on Monday, February 23, 1998 - 02:47 pm:
    Just realized that last one had nothing to do with the topic of "Are you stoned?". Maybe I AM stoned!

By Nate on Tuesday, February 24, 1998 - 11:37 am:
    "Maybe I AM stoned!"

I wake up with that thought a lot.

By Liquid Feces on Monday, March 9, 1998 - 01:18 am:
    "Play stupid"? Who plays?

By Sugarbaby on Thursday, March 19, 1998 - 12:00 am:
    Jen,and everybody else, thanks for your opinion! But unfortunitly, someone has stolen $70 from me amd now I cant really afford a tattoo. I guess in the long run it gives me more time to think about where to get it and what to get. I was on the internet last night and looked up tattoos and there was the guy who got one on his leg-it was a stick man pissing in a plant pot. It sounds kind of dumb, but it looked really cool. Not cool as in neat-o, but cool as in "thats really unbelievably funny!"
    And so the saga continues in seeking out the perfect tattoo!!!!!................Ill keep you all informed!
    Oh..........one more thing....POT ROCKS!!!!
    And mom if your reading this, ya.........I do smoke!!! Im not an angle after all!!

By Slacker on Thursday, March 19, 1998 - 09:59 pm:
    i've got a really cool tattoo, and i'm high.
    who'd have thought?

By Isosceles on Friday, March 20, 1998 - 08:29 pm:
    Yeah, but are you an angle?

By Cthulu on Saturday, March 21, 1998 - 12:47 am:
    Mine's cooler

By Slacker on Saturday, March 21, 1998 - 01:21 am:
    owen price would make a cool tattoo. charmed life.

By Kelsey on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 02:38 am:
    i have SIX cool tattoos. so nyah. i'm not high, but i wish i were.

By HaHa on Thursday, September 17, 1998 - 06:13 pm:

You're all freaking me out here...I've never made love to my guitar(shut up inner impulses,just shut up!)

By Slacker on Friday, September 18, 1998 - 04:40 am:

ok linn, you wacked bitch.
    cough up my twenty or i'm takin' the guitar.

By Starchy on Monday, September 21, 1998 - 11:05 am:

Y'know, it was amusing the first four times. Now, it's just amusing.

By HIGH GIRL on Monday, October 12, 1998 - 08:35 pm:

I am always stoned but not literally!! I don't need to waste my 25$ on a gram to feel high most of the time i just act as if there is nothing in the world i should care about and thus thats how i get high i can ramble on for hours and still be my natural happy person gettin high is not smoking dope!!

By Skachick on Tuesday, October 13, 1998 - 01:53 am:

A gram cost $25!! Where do you live?? Here it cost $20. Is weed hard to find where you are? It better be Chronic.

By Betty on Saturday, October 24, 1998 - 03:12 pm:

I am also an occupational therapy student. I love being high. I find the world to be a total different place. About two joints a day is enough for me. I find it great that so many people will talk freely about their habits!!!! I haven't tried any of the hard stuff, I'm too scared. But, I do wander a lot what it is like.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact