Phone #s in movies, TV shows, videos, songs & ads

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: Phone #s in movies, TV shows, videos, songs & ads
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kompulsive on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:47 am:

Please list any phone #s you know of from songs, ads, TV, movies & such. If you only know part of the # or the movie only shows part of a #, go ahead & list it. Do not include any of the 555 stuff which is what movies are suppose to use as of a certain date. Of course the 80s song "867-5309 Jenny" by Tommy Tutone is one of the most obvious but I've seen/heard phone #s in episodes of Gomer Pyle & such & these would be interesting to list I think. It may be an OCD thing (obsessive compulsive disorder) but I've written down several over the years & will post when I find the list. I'll do a web page of them later so list them here for now! I'll check this link every so often & notify ya'll here when I get a page up. Were any phone #s shown for Sarah Connor in Terminator? Remember partial phone #s are ok but forget about anything with a 555 prefix. Another song is 634-5789 which is from the 50s or 60s & may be by Wilson Pickett. Thanks :-)

By Kompulsive on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 04:22 am:

On Saturday Night Live there was a skit called Jackie Stallone's Psyhic Line & the # was 1-400-668-3726 (1-400-NOT-FRANK). In the Terminator (#1) Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) gives the # to the club she's at to her answering machine as 555-9175. There is a site that lists 555 #s already so I really don't care about them too much as far as listing them here right now.

By Myrl Hamler on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:53 pm:

The reason that the use 555 numbers in
    all movies and TV shows now is because
    along time ago when the used an ordnary
    phone number hundreds and thousands of
    pranksters would call it. So apparently
    they past some law that only 555 numbers
    can be used in movies or TV shows, and
    yeah it sucks.

By TBone on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

I don't think there's a law. I think it's more of a courtesy and a way to avoid being sued.
    Maybe it is. I dunno.

By Kompulsive on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:07 am:

I think TBone is right. I think they SUGGESTED movie & TV shows use 555. There was a movie out earlier this year that had a real phone # in it & it made the news. Also just a few hours ago, I saw a skit of an old Candid Camera Show where Joey Fay (voice) was on the phone with a secretary they had set up. He gave out a phone # of 876-2798 & I think he told her to use code 201, whatever that is (area code?). It was on PAX between 7PM-9PM on 11-16-03 Sunday.

By Kompulsive on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:06 am:

The Chevy Truck commercial that has been airing the last 2 months (where the "for sale" sign blows onto a truck's window while a man is inside ordering coffee) is 877-843-8782. FYI, 877 is one of the new "toll free" exchanges & the # is actually owned by Chevrolet.

By The Weasel on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:43 am:

The phone number in the movie BRUCE ALMIGHTY is 776-2323. It shows on Bruce's (Jim Carey's) pager when God calls. On the DVD they have supposedly changed the phone # (not sure what it says now) & also changed a scene where a dog actually sits (don't know what that is about either as I have never seen either version of this movie).

By Kompulsive on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 06:08 pm:

In the movie THE PICKUP ARTIST (Molly Ringwald/ Robert Morton Downey Jr.) the lady gives out a phone # of 689-2751 (if I remembered it right). The scene is close to the start of the movie & it happens on the sidewalk.

By Kompulsive on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:24 pm:

I saw a replay of the Candid Camera skit (mentioned above) on Pax last night. I DID have all the info correct. However what I did not know is right before that happened there was a MAN taking messages & Joey Fay (voice on the phone) gives him the phone number 318-2756.

By Steven on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 11:50 pm:

For children of the 80s who swung it a bit more than Tommy Tutone: "777-9311" by Morris Day & the Time. An early number from them. (I had the Tutone album too. Beautiful yellow corvette on the cover, a 1959 I think.)

By Kompulsive on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:53 pm:

In the song "Lisa Lips" by UTFO, I heard this lyric yesterday..... "IS YOUR NUMBER 857-6452?". I thought maybe it spelled out something like SKEEZER but when I did a search at the ABC phone site, I couldn't find any hidden words they might have been hinting at. Thanks for the Morris Day & The Time addition. I like several of their songs but was not aware of that one :-)

By Kompulsive on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:42 am:

A few minutes after my UTFO post, I remembered the song by the B-52's called 6060-842 (606-0842). Also the song 634-5789 that I mentioned in the 1st message to start this string, was done by Wilson Pickett. But a search on Amazon shows 60 hits as several people have done the song including Eddie Floyd, Blues Brothers, Bon Jovi & Trace Adkins.
    Last of all, I was watching Forensic Files & they did the case about Ray Krone, who was charged with killing a lady. He was convicted thanks to testimony about a bitemark being better than a fingerprint (which is NOT true). It was later overturned & they caught the real killer thanks to DNA. This will never happen to O.J. as he is still searching for the REAL killer :) Anyway it showed a piece of paper from the lady's purse & it had Ray's # of 265-3058 on it. Ray served 4 years & 10 months in prison before it was overturned! He had been dating the lady & coincidentally his front teeth were very similar (but NOT exact!) to the mark on her chest!

By Kompulsive on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:33 pm:

The pay phone that was used for the warning of the Olympic bombing of 1996 in Atlanta, was 404-521-3798. It was one of 10 phones at 300 Spring Street at the Days Inn. They have since been removed & Eric Robert Rudolph is charged with the bombing.

By Kompulsive on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:47 pm:

Glenn Miller & his Orchestra had a song called PEnnsylvania 6-5000 (PE 6-5000). That'd be 736-5000 which I think still rings the Hotel Pennsylvania, located in NY (area code 212). On 1-4-40 the band started a 3 month gig at Cafe Rough, in the Hotel. In 1960 Liz Taylor starred as a call girl in the movie BUtterfield 8. That'd be 288. Is that her room number at a hotel or what? I haven't seen the movie so I don't know what the title means really or what other numbers are in the movie, if any. I just know it was mentioned along with Miller's song, in an article I saw on the web a few minutes ago.

By Charles Brubaker on Tuesday, September 7, 2004 - 03:52 am:

They changed the phone number in BRUCE
    ALMIGHTY to 555-0123, because the original
    776-2323 caused a riot for people with the
    actual phone number.

The director used that because there was no
    776-2323 in Buffalo, NY, where the movie was
    set

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact